PDA

View Full Version : Why does Shaolin Gong Fu have to hurt so much? Why?

phoenix-eye
09-23-2001, 01:42 AM
I've just finished my second 2 day seminar with Sifu Shi Yanzi. www.shaolintempleuk.org (http://www.shaolintempleuk.org)

Once again it was a fantastic weekend. But I'm now back home and can't move my legs. They are soooooo sore!!!!

Seminar covered Wu Bu Quan, Xiao hong Quan, Qi Qong, and lots of Sanshou.

Shi Yanzi is big on San Shou and used the seminar to teach some basic techniques that are applicable to both street defence and San Shou. Many of the movements were adapted from the Xiao hong Quan form that we had been taught - most were kick traps and takedowns.

We then were taught different methods of breakfalls and rolling. Including diving over people and rolling into a fighting stance. My back has never hurt so much even although it was all done on mats.

Today, we went over the forms again then did some more San Shou techniques.
Then we had to do jumping kicks..........

We do jumping kicks at our kwoon but......

He had us doing f***king double leg flying front kicks off trampolines and springboards!!

Anyway - after 2 days and 12 hours of training I am completely exhausted and my legs are totally shagged.

Why can't it just be a bit easier - please?

I'll finally just say that Shi Yanzi's ability is absolutely amazing and makes me realize how much of a beginner i am. if you ever get the chance to train with this man pleae take it. You won't regret it. (Well maybe youwill....)

"We had a thing to settle so I did him"
Tamai, 43, was quoted by Police as saying.

SifuAbel
09-23-2001, 07:27 AM
All I can say is welcome to the club.

Its dangerous to think you are immortal.
sifuabel@yahoo.com

TatewakiKuno
09-23-2001, 01:55 PM
I guess Nike actually got it right
"No Pain No Gain"

More Chi, Train Harder

SevenStar
09-23-2001, 03:31 PM
kung fu = hard work.

"You ain't got enough calcium to have a bone to pick wit me,
like a Gracie, I'll choke a ***** out wit his own gi" - Rass Kass

fajinpower
09-24-2001, 06:21 AM
If you don't want pain, go for Tai Chi.

dedalus
09-24-2001, 07:50 AM
If you want to learn how to fight, I'm afraid you'll find pain in taiji too.

sunsoar
09-24-2001, 06:26 PM
i live fairly close to his school and have been thinking of going along for a while
you recomend it then? :)

joedoe
09-25-2001, 03:08 AM
After a while the pain stops :)

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

dunbarj01
09-25-2001, 04:53 AM
What's Wu Bu Quan?

"That would be me. I've been swimming in raw sewage...I love IT!" - Frank Drebbin, Police Squad.

Shaolin
09-25-2001, 10:47 AM
Pain is only weakness leaving the body.

phoenix-eye
09-26-2001, 12:46 AM
Thank f*ck - I can walk again.

Thanks for the replies - I am used to quite a bit of pain from my usual training but this was on a whole new scale of pain. Anyway, it's a lot,lot better than it was.

Vlad: Wu Bu Quan is the basic 5 stance set. It's not a traditional form but apparently is taught to all new shaolin students at the temple as it practices the 5 main stances and the transitions between them.
It's very short but really does work the legs. You repeat it on left side then right side.

Shadow fist: If you are even remotely close to Yanzi's school then you've got to go. He really is that good. Don't expect to learn anything fancy straight away as he'll make you go through some really hard "preparation". But if you do go and stick it out I am confident he would vastly improve your kung fu. I'm just sorry that we can only train with him twice a year - it really isn't enough.

Good luck whatever you do.

"We had a thing to settle so I did him"
Tamai, 43, was quoted by Police as saying.

joedoe
09-26-2001, 06:51 AM
Interesting. We are taught a set call "Opening the Mountain" and we were told that traditionally it was the first set taught to novices. Oh well, I guess everyone has a different story :)

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

Shaolin Master
09-26-2001, 04:23 PM
Wu Bu (5 Step) is actually modern.
Originating from Zha Quan in its concepts, applied to all wushu and Chang quan studies specifically as a fundamental series.
Many many schools practise it.

dunbarj01
09-27-2001, 01:21 AM
Thanks!

"That would be me. I've been swimming in raw sewage...I love IT!" - Frank Drebbin, Police Squad.

fajinpower
09-27-2001, 05:41 AM
Interesting. Guess the Wu Bu is just for training purpose for all forms, and styles. Thanks Shaolin Master.
So, what about Yi-Lu Chuan, Er-Lu Chuan, Xiao-hong chuan, and Dar-hong Chuan. Are these forms created just to train the body only, or is there more meaning to these forms?

Shaolin Master
09-27-2001, 06:00 PM
Yi lu & Er lu (1st and 2nd routine) are unknown to me, so I cannot comment but with such a name it sounds like a new abridge forms created by someone to fulfill the space between fundamentals and Xiao Hong Quan.

Xiao Hong Quan now that is well known to most songshan shaolin people. It is the first routine studied under our curriculum and is extremely important. It introduces concepts that are fundamental to Songshan shaolin style.

Such fundamentals include :
Practising movements in a straight line.
emphasising one strike to defeat opponent
Practising in the space a cow can lie
Movements that are linear yet circular at the same time.
Fundamental stepping methods
utilisation of Tui Zhang, Dan Bian, Xie Xing basics...
To retreat only in preparation for an attack.
and much more.

Da Hong Quan builds upon this as well, in addition to providing a larger frame of reference for many of the techniques introduced in Xiao Hong Quan.

There are many routines of Da Hong Quan.

GLW
09-28-2001, 09:37 PM
"So, what about Yi-Lu Chuan, Er-Lu Chuan, Xiao-hong chuan, and Dar-hong Chuan. Are these forms created just to train the body only, or is there more meaning to these forms? "

Yi Lu Quan and Er Lu Quan...first and second fist form. Without knowing the word that goes between the Lu and the Quan...as in Yi Lu Mai Fu Quan, or Yi Lu Zha Quan... (first Mai fu Fist or First Zha fist) it is hard to say..could be Shaolin method or it could be one of the newer routines.

Hong Quan - there is Red and then Hero fist. Then the Zha system has the Hero and so does Shaolin. you have Xiao Hong Quan - small hero fist and Da hong Quan - large hero fist. or small and large red fists...depending on the character used...Red and Hero or Chivalrous sound similar.

fajinpower
10-05-2001, 07:21 AM
Thanks you for the lesson. Is is very good. But are these form more of Wushu, or kung fu. And, who can tell that they are Kung fu or Wushu?

S.Teebas
10-06-2001, 10:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Pain is only weakness leaving the body. [/quote]

...i like that one Shaolin! ;)

S.Teebas