PDA

View Full Version : Fundamental of Shaolin kung fu video

jackiech
09-22-2001, 03:19 PM
Anybody has this video?
Is it good stuff or should I have to buy Eric Lee's Total body work-out?

Daedalus
09-23-2001, 06:15 PM
I have the drunken fist video. Its pretty good. The video also includes the drunken staff form.

charliec
09-23-2001, 06:53 PM
It's a great video, It'd be the first tape I'd recomend to someone who didn't have a monk living near them to study from.

www.thousandbuddha.
org

For those entering
the realm of Wu wit
h a mind on Ch'an, th
e silent smile aw
aits them. - Ch'au-Lu

fajinpower
09-24-2001, 06:30 AM
I know, after the bombing of our Nation's Financial Headquarter, who wants to go to NYC. But wait, you can buy any martial art supplies in NYC. Even the Shaolin Monk Video Tapes, which cost about $40 bucks each.

GeneChing
09-24-2001, 09:40 AM
Order it from www.MartialArtsMart.com (http://www.MartialArtsMart.com). Those sales are what keep this forum running! Click the topmost banner.

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com (http://www.KUNGFUmagazine.com)

phoenix-eye
09-26-2001, 12:49 AM
I've got the Xiao Hong Quan and Jing Gang Quan form videos and they're pretty good.

I'm ordering the fundamentals video soon.

"We had a thing to settle so I did him"
Tamai, 43, was quoted by Police as saying.

fajinpower
09-26-2001, 04:55 AM
J/K about the supplies and video in NYC. As a matter of fact, don't come to NYC. Every thing here looks pretty bad now.

phoenix-eye
09-29-2001, 01:41 AM
What does the video actually cover?

I know it is the fundamentals but what specifically?

Ted
09-30-2001, 05:05 PM
This video covers the basic stances, punches and kicks. It also covers some "Shaolin steps". Towards the middle of the video Shifu Hengxin covers some different aerials and pounces, and at the end of the video Shifu Hengxin performs many weapons movements with many different weapons. I personally think its a great video along with many of the others produced by Shaolin Temple Overseas.

Ted

phoenix-eye
10-01-2001, 12:40 AM
Thanks - i've got in on order.

phoenix-eye
10-04-2001, 01:27 AM
Now got the video - USA to Scotland in only 2 or 3 days - pretty good Gene!

Anyway, video is pretty good for me as it covers lots of the stuff that we have done at recent seminars with Shi Yansi (who directed this video I notice). Some of the kicks, jumping kicks, breakfalls etc were all covered by Yansi's seminar.

A good reference video for the basics.

Thanks to everyone for info.

charliec
10-04-2001, 01:29 AM
Shi Yansi is the generation name of Shi Guolin (his 'Buddhist' name). Shi Yanzi is the Shifu of the European Shaolin Temple. :D

For those entering the
realm of Wu with a mind
on Ch'an, the silent
smile awaits them. -
Ch'au-Lu

www.thousandbuddha.org (http://www.thousandbuddha.org)

phoenix-eye
10-04-2001, 01:44 AM
Hi Charlie

Does the generation name not denote the lineage? I thought that Goulin was Yansi's disciple? Maybe I've got it wrong.

The photos on the vids show Goulin with Yansi at the temple and suggest the above relationship.

Yansi is indeed the head of shaolintempleUK and has been giving us some excellent seminars over the last year.

GeneChing
10-04-2001, 02:11 AM
Guolin is not a Shaolin name. There is no guo generation. There is a gui, or rather there will be, whenever we reach the 68th generation, but no guo. Guolin is a Buddhist name; He studied at other temples beyond Shaolin - His Shaolin name is Yansi , although he tends not to use it. The Shaolin monk in Britain is Yanzi. They are martial brothers, very good friends and both disciples of the current Abbot Shi Yongxin.

3 days to Scotland? Wow, phoenix-eye, thanks for mentioning that.

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher

phoenix-eye
10-04-2001, 02:21 AM
Thanks Gene

I get it now - Yansi/Yanzi - Tomehto/Tomato. I think I understand now - the video did have me a bit confused for a moment though.

Yes Gene - only 3 days - it would have been 2 days if I hadn't been working when the UPS guy came to the house.

That's what I call good service - give yourself an iron palm on the back.

:p

charliec
10-04-2001, 06:44 AM
Nod, told you so. :P

For those entering the
realm of Wu with a mind
on Ch'an, the silent
smile awaits them. -
Ch'au-Lu

www.thousandbuddha.org (http://www.thousandbuddha.org)

phoenix-eye
10-05-2001, 01:38 AM
Yeh Yeh

I know I'm not the brightest lamp in the store.

Thanks for the info anyway.

(Ba5tard....) ;)

fajinpower
10-05-2001, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the nice information about Shi GuoLin. I alway have the thought on why he call himself Shi GuoLin, where he is a 34th Generation Monk. As for Shi Yan-Ming. Yan is the 34th Generation Monk name. That make me curious on what his Shaolin name is. Thanks Gene. So, do you know about the other monk Shi Xing Peng who just move to chinatown to teach recently? What Generation is he? Like I know Shi Heng Xin. Heng is the 35th Generation Monks, so what about Shi Xing Peng the other Monk in New York City? What generation is he?

kungfudork
10-05-2001, 05:40 PM
xing = 32nd generation

fajinpower
10-06-2001, 06:09 AM
zheng li peng
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
xing = 32nd generation

Thanks.

32nd = Xing
33rd = ?????
34th = Yan
35th = Heng
36th = ????

As for Zheng Li Peng or Shi Xing Peng, he does not look old, he is much younger looking than Shi Yan Ming. How can he be 32nd Generation Monks? Hmmmm???null

GeneChing
10-07-2001, 06:53 PM
To add to the list:
Zhen=29, Su=30, De=31, Yong=33, Miao=36
Not sure if there are any remaining Zhen's and haven't met any Miao's yet.

Generation has a lot of fluctuation in age. For example, I'm a Xing and am almost exactly the same age as my master. If I was younger and became a disciple of Suxi, I would be a De and younger. Likewise I could be much older and be a disciple of Hengxin and be a Miao. Basically, it's not linear at all - it's more like where you are on the family tree. Just like you could be an uncle or aunt at a very young age, but even more pronounced.

The entire list of Shaolin generation names was based on a 70 character poem, which we translated (with the help of Guolin, coincidentally.) We published the names in pinyin and characters with the transaltion in our Shaolin special in Spring 2000. Check it out -
http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/kf-200005sp.html

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher