PDA

View Full Version : Video Clips

bungda07
05-31-2003, 02:36 PM
Check out video clips at :www.mantismartialart.com. Found this at another great site (TJPM). Have a great Mantis day.

V/R

BUNGDA07

SaMantis
05-31-2003, 03:13 PM
Great videos! Thanks for posting the link. :)

chen zhen
06-02-2003, 08:31 AM
is it possible to translate that into english?:confused: :confused:

can't find the videos

Lisa
06-02-2003, 09:42 AM
Yay! More videos to add to the collection. I now have six different versions of Bung Bo. Thanks for the link.

chen zhen: Click above the word "Demo".

00SS
06-02-2003, 11:30 AM
Great vid's.. and i love the ID and the move :)
You wouldn't happen to practice on Chapel St. would ya :)

mantis108
06-02-2003, 02:07 PM
Hi Bungda07,

Thanks for the link. I visited that site before. Looks like they have sorted out some of the bugs in the video clips. I think they did a rather good job on presenting material. They even mention GM Chiu Chuk Kai, who I have the honor of studying with. Anyway, here are some thoughts to the clips.

clip 1: Baiyuan Tautao (white ape steals peach)

This was once focus of discussion on this board. In this clip, it is very clear that GM LGY's Tanglang Tautao is definitely derived from this set. It would seem that TLTT is shorter version of the BYTT. The problem with this clip is that there are some special effects so that it is not shown in its entirety. So I can't really make up if indeed there are 2 routines of BYTT as one. But it would see that BYTT is a rather long form. Also the move that gives the form its name is clearly in the clip as well. There is also a bit of a Taiji like opening and closing that is reflective of their "philosophy".

clip 2: Tanglang Gun (mantis staff)

This is performed by old Master Suen Delong. It is kind of reminiscent of 6 harmonies sticks.

clip 3: Demo by Master Suen Delong

This is in fact their version of Luanjie/Lanjie. Again there is special effects to not show the whole form. There is about 2 roads of Luanjie here. The performance is impressive just like an old master should. Well "old ginger is spicier". ;)

clip 4: Zhaiyao 1 (essential section 1)

This is quite common these days so I am not going to dwell into it. It is the standard 4 roads Zhaiyao 1

clip 5: Xiao Fanche (small waterwheel)

It is interesting to see this in a group performance. It is not really my cup of tea but it is interesting.

clip 6: Sheung Shou Jian (two handed sword)

It is rather reminiscent of Lian Huan Jian (continuous sword) except that this is done with 2 handed sword.

clip 7: Bengbu (Crushing step/Crash and fill)

It's hard to watch this one sorry to say. :( The performance (flavor wise) seems all over the place. It is Yantai version closer to 7*. Some moves are exagerated to the point that the stylist seemed to be frailing and lost control. As an audience, I have a hard time following what he was doing and I am familar with the form.

All in all the clips are great IMHO. As usual, Bazhou (8 elbows) is out of sight. Otherwise it is a rather comprehensive showing of Taiji/Meihwa lineages forms.

Warm regards

Mantis108

chen zhen
06-03-2003, 01:28 AM
when I click on the videos, a screen with miles & miles of javascript comes up. what have I done wrong?:confused:

Crushing Step
06-04-2003, 02:25 AM

I am having a hard time recognizing this having any similarity to the BYTT that I do. The first half of our form is actually very similar to the video posted on this site (different rythm and timing, similar moves):
http://www.teammantis.com/Rowan2001.html

Can you maybe explain the similarities between these?

Tainan Mantis
06-04-2003, 06:20 AM
What do I need to do to get those vids to play on my computer

Shaolin-Do
06-04-2003, 08:55 AM
Tainan- you need real player

Young Mantis
06-04-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by JJMantis

I am having a hard time recognizing this having any similarity to the BYTT that I do. The first half of our form is actually very similar to the video posted on this site (different rythm and timing, similar moves):
http://www.teammantis.com/Rowan2001.html

Can you maybe explain the similarities between these?

Actually there isn't. The form depicted as BYTT on the www.mantismartialarts.com website is what HK Mantis calls Tong Long Tau Toe although a bit different. The form in your link from team mantis shows what HK mantis refers to as BYTT although their version is a bit different from ours. The sequence is recognizable as BYTT but the flow of the form, some of the techniques, and most of the transitions are different.

There have been a few threads regarding the issue of the Tau Toe forms. You should find them easily in a search.

YM

mantis108
06-04-2003, 10:24 AM
Hi JJMantis,

I agree with Young Mantis. The Team Manits TLTT is almost exact form listed in the "Shandong Tanglang Quanshu" book, by Sifu Lam Wing Kit, as BYTT second routine although the openning salutation is reminiscent of the Ponglai style (Shrfu Shr Zheng Zhong). TLTT is said to be GM LKY's favor form. It's also my pet theory that he created 14 roads of Tan Tui (in one night) based on certain combinations in this form. But then the 14 roads seems to be generic enough to be any fundamental PM loose hands (san sik). So... Just so tipbits. :)

BTW, are you related to Ponglai school?

Regards

Mantis108

Crushing Step
06-04-2003, 08:31 PM
Honestly, I don't know! I will let you know where I am coming from. We got our mantis from tai chi master TT Liang. I had a short email exchange with some mantis people from that lineage, but we never met. But I have it from very reliable sources that master Liang studied many style of mantis before coming to US. Actually, I'd like to know exactly what style has been passed down. I am told that some years ago, I want to say in Taiwan, all mantis was loosely called 7 star. I know from visiting other schools (Jimmy Tsui, Tony Puyot, Othal Thomas) that our mantis is in fact not 7 star. It has also been said that our body weight shifts and footwork make sense if you redard they came from a tai chi man. What I don't know is if we are TCPM. I haven't frequented the forums like I used to, so I'm sure I've missed out on plenty of discussion on this topic as well. I hope this flows OK, it's rather late right now!

B.Tunks
06-04-2003, 09:13 PM

The Tou tao on this video does have an effect at the end of one route, but it only masks a turn body (I think he stumbled a little so they added it in) This is the whole form. This is pretty standard Tou Tao from China, funny though that this known taijimeihua guy boxing a totally Qixing set. In fact many Taijimeihua poeople in Qingdao know this set (his teachere is from Qingdao).
My opinion, it comes nowhere near the proper Qixing version.
b.t

Tainan Mantis
06-04-2003, 09:45 PM
JJMantis,
If you tell us the names of the forms in your curriculum we can probably tell where it is from.
HK, China and Taiwan all have a few unique forms.

Maybe even what shrfu.

Young Mantis
06-05-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by mantis108

I agree with Young Mantis. The Team Manits TLTT is almost exact form listed in the "Shandong Tanglang Quanshu" book, by Sifu Lam Wing Kit, as BYTT second routine although the openning salutation is reminiscent of the Ponglai style (Shrfu Shr Zheng Zhong). TLTT is said to be GM LKY's favor form. It's also my pet theory that he created 14 roads of Tan Tui (in one night) based on certain combinations in this form. But then the 14 roads seems to be generic enough to be any fundamental PM loose hands (san sik). So... Just so tipbits. :)

Hi Mantis108,

Does Team Mantis show TLTT on their site? I did not see that. I believe they refer to that first group form as "Bai Yuan Tou Tao". My understanding of this is the original form known as "Tau Tou" is presently known as "Bai Yuan Tau Tou" in branches coming from PRC and "Tong Long Tau Tou" in branches from GM LGY.

YM

mantis108
06-05-2003, 11:14 AM
Hi Young Mantis,

You are correct. I make a boo boo in typing. The Team Mantis form is in fact Bai Yuan Tou Tao (second routine) according to LWK's book. Sorry didn't mean to add to the confussion. :o

The other group's Bai Yuan Tou Tao does resemble GM LGY's Tanglang Tou Tao, which seems to be missing the move Bai Yuan Tou Tao otherwise it is very similar to the mainland version of Bai Yuan Tou Tao. My understanding is that Bai Yuan Tou Tao and Tanglang Tou Tao are regarded as 2 different forms in HK. They do have different arrangements.

Warm regards

Mantis108

mantis108
06-05-2003, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the info, brother. :) I really appreciate it.

I am not sure why they would use special effects like that. It would be more impressive to have the whole thing as is. Like the Lanjie bit, it would be great to see the old master in action all the way. But... Anyway, I hear you on the different favor thing. It's kind of odd IMHO that they would do a Taiji like salutation as well. Kind of ecclartic for this form. I have also seem a Tou Tao form from GM Ren Fengrui, who was the teacher of GM CCK. I'm however not sure if this was a later addition (after 1930 CE) to GM Ren's lineage or not. There is no Bai Yuan form series in CCK TCPM.

Warm regards

Robert

4 Dragons
06-05-2003, 03:36 PM
Hi mantis108,

Can you check your email please.

Thanks,
4 Dragons

Crushing Step
06-06-2003, 02:57 PM
The forms I know are:

Bung Bo
Su Baad Sao
Chop Choy
BYTT
Ba Gwa Dao

I also know the first form taught in si gung's school was tan tui, but I wasn't taught it. Hope this helps.

_JJ

PS I left out that I also do ling bung bo. I have seen flying goose palm and fifth son staff, but don't know them. Also, there are two stationary "forms", perhaps better described as exercises:

Plum Flower Blocks
Eight Way Fist

Crushing Step
07-04-2003, 01:28 AM
a question was asked "what shifu"...

I mentioned earlier that my sigung was a student of TT Liang. The article in Mantis Quarterly has a paragraph of his history, under the article about mantis boxing in the Phillipenes. That paragraph is in complete agreement with the lineage story passed down to me.

I recently read on another site that "plum blossom" and "tai chi" mantis are the same system. I am told that our system used the name 7* while in the phillipenes because it was similar, and a more common name. I have seen 7* and wah lum, but not plum blossom / tai chi.

fidon
07-04-2003, 07:29 AM
Interesting, i'm starting to download right now...i can finally see what Plum Blossum looks like.

wiz cool c
07-04-2003, 01:16 PM

Was the white ape in chinese history supposed to be a Yeti?

B.Tunks
07-04-2003, 06:06 PM
no he was supposed to be a person, but a yeti would be cool.
b.t

shaolinarab
08-19-2003, 12:04 AM
I have checked out the bung po clips from www.mantismartialart.com and www.teammantis.com, but does anyone know any other bung po video clips online? Each one tends to have its own distinct flavor, so they're interesting to watch.

tanglang
08-19-2003, 05:38 AM
:( :( :(