PDA

View Full Version : How do I isolate my back-muscles doing pullups?

chen zhen
06-01-2003, 03:01 AM
basically the same as the title. I tend to use the shoulder and arm muscles more when I do pull-ups, and I have problems with hitting my back-muscles(especially lower back) with the excercise.
any advise?

Former castleva
06-01-2003, 10:17 AM
One exercise goes only so far.
You can get a muscle group or two to pull-up but what you want to achieve seems to me to be both painstakingly difficult and a lot better done in another manner (if weights are the problem,you can do it without them too,to a degree)

Kumkuat
06-01-2003, 10:36 AM
you can't really isolate it. But try squeezing your shoulderblades together as you go up. Keep a tight arch and try to move your arms by moving the back muscle.

Kempo Guy
06-01-2003, 01:33 PM
I recommend 'imagining' that you are pulling from the elbows (not the grip/forearms or shoulders). You can also try to squeeze the armpits together (although this will occur naturally when intiating the pull from your elbows), which helps to initiate the lats.

KG

WinterPalm
06-01-2003, 01:56 PM
When you pull, stick out your chest as much as possible and pull your chest, say the bottom of the sternum, to touch the bar. As you pull up, pull your shoulder blades together and stick your chest out. Some days, when I do these, I can feel my lats working almost down to the hips.
Try it this way, it works the best for me.

iron thread
06-01-2003, 08:31 PM
Bring your legs perpendicular to your upper body for your pullup.

Kempo Guy
06-01-2003, 08:59 PM
Here's a good article on pullups by John Allstadt (http://www.girevikmagazine.com/seven/pullups.htm). Perhaps it may be of some of help?

KG

chen zhen
06-02-2003, 03:51 AM
thanks, the article helped.

IronFist
06-02-2003, 10:45 AM
Try using a palms away grip, with your hands a few inches wider than shoulder width.

You won't hit your lower back much with pullups.

IronFist

Shaolin-Do
06-02-2003, 01:12 PM
Put your hands on the edge of your fireplace, palms about 2 inches out from the sides of your body, feet on the floor in front of you, knees slightly bent to keep yourself off the ground. Dip down till your @ss almost touches the ground, then straighten your arms all the way. I have a dip setup to work on, but doing them like this isolates your back REALLY well... you can feel it all in the middle of your back. Or try putting your feet on one chair and hands on another.

chen zhen
06-02-2003, 02:25 PM
Oh, yes

almost forgot the dips;)

45degree fist
06-03-2003, 07:40 PM
I saw an article where they used a bar suspensed from chains to prevent swaying or make you aware of it. I dont know if this helps Isolate but it sounds cool

chen zhen
06-05-2003, 07:16 AM
Every time I hear pull-ups mentioned, it's in connection with back-strengthening exercises. So why do you all say it is difficult to isolate the back-muscles? i don't understand.:confused:

Dragontounge
06-05-2003, 10:50 AM
Face away grip is good for lats.

IronFist
06-05-2003, 01:43 PM
Who does dips for their back?

Did I miss something?

IronFist

Robinf
06-06-2003, 06:35 AM
Chen,

Pullups contract the latissmus dorsi muscle which is a big ol' muscle in the back (actually, it's on both sides of the body) through a full range with a full stretch at the bottom (if done properly)--that way the entire range of motion of the lats can be performed. So in that sense, pullups are great for the back.

Pullups, however, also force the bicep to contract and force other muscles of the arm and trunk to come in to play to stabalize. Pull ups are great for the trunk and back as it teaches your body to work in harmony better than other exercises.

chen zhen
06-06-2003, 08:28 AM
thanks