PDA

View Full Version : Southern Dragon in Boston?

4 Dragons
06-01-2003, 03:13 PM
Hi,

Just curious to know if there is anyone teaching Southern dragon in the Boston area? Is NYC the closest?

Thanks for any and all information.
4 Dragons

Shaolin Dude
06-01-2003, 10:39 PM
there is a hung gar place that teaches it. they perform for the chinese new year going from store to store.

4 Dragons
06-02-2003, 03:21 PM
Hi Shaolin Dude,

That's great news! What is the name of the school and do they accept students? If it's OK to ask of course.

Thanks,
4 Dragons

Jim Roselando
06-03-2003, 09:08 AM
Hello,

I am not sure if they do or not but you may want to see if the Chinese Mason Society teaches Dragon? I know the people there, and I do know that they practice Bak Mei and Jook Lum Gee, but I believe they know more than those two arts. So, it could be worth checking out. The main people are Donald, Wayne and Larry.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

BAI HE
06-04-2003, 06:58 AM
Sifu Winchell Woo teaches Hung - Gar in
Chinatown.
If I see the gflyer again I'll post the #.

4 Dragons
06-04-2003, 07:52 AM
Looks like this the Hung Gar link is a dead end unless someone can tell me different. I know there was someone teaching Dragon through Wah Lum in Quincy a long time ago but was hoping to find more of an "old school" if you know what I mean. I know there is Bak Mei and Southern Mantis but am really hoping for Dragon. I want to learn the Poison Snake form eventually. I'll go to New York or elsewhere if I have to.

Thanks for the help,
4 Dragons

Jim Roselando
06-04-2003, 08:03 AM
Hello,

The Duk Sae Gwun is a Mantis pole form and I know the guys in Chinatown know the form. Will they teach it to you? I can't say but it is highly unlikely unless you are one of there students. If you are talking about a different Duk Sae then best of luck finding that set.

What makes you want Dragon more any other art? Most south fist maintain a lot of similarities. Especially, South Mantis, Whitebrow, Dragon & White Crane. Wing Chun has similarities in the fist methods but the structure is indeed different from the other arts!

Regards,

4 Dragons
06-04-2003, 10:08 AM
Hi,

It's not the same as the Mantis pole form. It is a hand form found in Southern Dragon. If it exists in another style I don't know but that is why I want Dragon. I will say Bak Mei and Southern Mantis interest me greatly though but I was under the impression that it was a closed school.

4 Dragons

Jim Roselando
06-04-2003, 12:17 PM
Hello,

That school has been around for many many years. I know that they all still work out a few days a week at night. I believe Tue/Thu.! Not sure if they accept casual pupils but you may want to stop by. Last time I visited Donald he told me he was still teaching/working out there!

What is it about his form that has you so eager to lern it? Are you interested in learning the Dragon art or just the set you mentioned?

Regards,

mantis108
06-04-2003, 12:49 PM
You seem knowledgeable enough to know that there are couple of Poison Snake forms. Incidently, the Lung Ying Mor Kiew, which is the signature form of the style, already contains elements of these forms. It would be easier to find someone who is willing to teach this set than the other higher up ones. I think there is a program in HK by Sifu Cheung Kwok Tai, that focus mainly on this set. Students don't have to have gone through a lot of other forms (not that they are not good) before getting to learn this practical and powerful signature set.

Anyway, the poison snake forms are more for indepth study of the style especially if you are interested in the research and develop field of the art IMHO in this day and age. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with your search.

Regards

Mantis108