PDA

View Full Version : Well, I love this fight (Video)

Felipe Bido
06-01-2003, 06:16 PM
One single technique...nice punch exchange...and a very good counter at the end.:

http://emptyflower.stanford.edu/video/fight_3.WMV

Stacey
06-01-2003, 09:00 PM
The guy in black is quick. He has a good eye for throwing, but a weak base. More swallow flying for him. I like the knees in the groin when he lands after the inside hooks. The guy in yellow is a buster and a bad sport. His sickle hand is ok, but once black realizes that its not invincible, he starts to pick apart the predictible attack. Having faught this way, I can say that this is a lot harder than it looks. Letting it go UFC style would be interesting.

PS. I really didn't like yellow If black had better angles and stronger stances, and some continuous hand attacks he would have mopped up yellow in the first exchange.

What styles were represented?

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-01-2003, 11:53 PM
i'm a little drunk, but i think i agree with everything stacey just said.

i knew i liked him for a reason.

on the other hand i have boxed. i didn't look like that when i boxed. is it just cause im little and need every advantage when i hit? really .... why dont people root when they hit?

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-01-2003, 11:57 PM
i had a whole other thread about this. boxers and mt guys root when they hit. then you have kf ... an art thats supposed to focus on rooting .... and the guys just dont settle to hit.

christ even if your on your toes like in boxing ... you can still settle to hit. it's just for a second. of all things to throw out the window ....

chief108
06-02-2003, 02:35 AM
cool vid though..
you don't see too much of that kinda fighting nowadays...
liked fight_1.wmv too....

Chief108

Kristoffer
06-02-2003, 09:30 AM
I didn't like it

Suntzu
06-02-2003, 09:37 AM
D@mn good throws and reverses...
I liked the fight considering the rules… I don't know what folks want to see… I think people get too caught up in what they don't see rather than what they do see… I mean it's not a 2 man set… the other guy is not gonna let you get your sh!t off… you gotta make what your know work the best way you can at THAT moment... and would somebody place a round kick to yellow's wide open head... please...

Shaolin-Do
06-02-2003, 11:02 AM
Its hard to see, but if you pay close attention black has some nice shots to the face and kidneys.... Seems like yellow gets f*ckin pizzed because hes bein thrown like a beeeyotch.
Im curious what styles they are also, Whats up with the opening stance that yellow dude uses?

Felipe Bido
06-02-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
Its hard to see, but if you pay close attention black has some nice shots to the face and kidneys....

That's the 'Nice exchange of punches' that I talked about. In the first exchange, before the first throw, you see that the guy in black actually exposed the center of the dude in yellow, to punch it. He knew what he was throwing.

I don't know the styles.

Water Dragon
06-02-2003, 11:39 AM
I liked the expression yellow kept making. You could tell he was getting more frustrated each time Black threw him with inner hooking.

Shaolin-Do
06-02-2003, 12:11 PM
By the 3rd time he got taken down he started to look constipated.
:)
Arent you comming down this way like this week or some sh!t WD?

Water Dragon
06-02-2003, 02:11 PM
Naw, next month.

norther practitioner
06-02-2003, 02:49 PM
That fight was pretty long, albeit with a lot of stops, but still like 5 or 6 minutes. There were some good shots landed about 80% of the way through too....

fa_jing
06-02-2003, 03:07 PM
Man that was a wierd on-guard stance by yellow - I thought Black could have blocked that right as it was coming in, and destroy yellow's center - but especially if they were allowing head shots.

chief108
06-03-2003, 12:59 AM
what I liked is that you can still see that they're from different styles, that they are Kung Fu Fighters...
not some wushu pussies who are trying to fight like a kickboxer :)

if you goto http://emptyflower.stanford.edu/ you can find more cool fightclips...
even a Bagua fighter...
very cool to see

Chief108

Le nOObi
06-07-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by chief108
what I liked is that you can still see that they're from different styles, that they are Kung Fu Fighters...
not some wushu pussies who are trying to fight like a kickboxer :)

As cool as fighting with one hand out stretched behind your head looks it serves absolutely no functional purpose. Sanshou is modernizing kungfu and bringing it to a level where it can actually compete and win against styles like muaythai consistently,and that doesnt not involve standing with one had outstretched the way this fighter does! Also Sanshou fighters do not "try to fight like kickboxers" even in Muaythai rules you can easily tell the difference between a Sanshou trained fighter and a Muaythai fighter.

P.S. Your an idiot!

truewrestler
06-07-2003, 01:15 PM
yeah, this fight really does nothing for me. I'd much rather watch trained fighters.

Water Dragon
06-07-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by truewrestler
yeah, this fight really does nothing for me. I'd much rather watch trained fighters.

This sounds uncannily familiar to "that's just two guys rolling around on the ground. I'd rather watched trained fighters."

truewrestler
06-07-2003, 02:43 PM
I'd much rather watch San Shou or Muay Thai

Le nOObi
06-07-2003, 03:36 PM
The fighters definately had some level of training. I would venture to say they had some level of realistic training but i feel this video is proof that kungfu is not some invicible superstyle and that kungfu people actually need to train hard to use what they learn.

truewrestler
06-07-2003, 03:44 PM
...obviously not Dim Mak :p

its funny that some people look at the video and say we might not understand what is being displayed... I simply look at it and don't see very good fighters

qeySuS
06-07-2003, 10:30 PM
"Yellow" and "black" ???? I think you all need to stop being racist.

LEGEND
06-08-2003, 06:42 AM
I liked it! The guy in BLACK is obviously the superior CLINCH GRAPPLER. He was skooling the guy in YELLOW in throws, reversals, single leg and double leg takedown. The striking SEEMs pathetic but might be cause of the rules...didn't seem like they were allowed to hit the head and employ straight punches...only BODY SHOTs. That match was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too long...I would have prob. been winded after the 3rd fall. YELLOW has an aggressive streak...he should train in some boxing.

LEGEND
06-08-2003, 06:55 AM
Look at the entitled THIS TURNED INTO A REAL FIGHT...that Yellow guy ended up throwing some serious HAYMAKERs! Man was he ****ed.

'MegaPoint
06-08-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
i had a whole other thread about this. boxers and mt guys root when they hit. then you have kf ... an art thats supposed to focus on rooting .... and the guys just dont settle to hit.

christ even if your on your toes like in boxing ... you can still settle to hit. it's just for a second. of all things to throw out the window ....

I'm sorry but boo-shi t. Muay Thai guys are tipppy-toers. They are always on one foot, and on their toes. This is bad balance. I'll kick their supporting leg-- "whap"! The first rule of engagement is to steal your opponents balance. That's why a good wrestler will wax a good thai boxer or western boxer. Boxers like to turn their rear foot, and be on the balls of their feet when they use the rear hand (cross). This makes real fighters with grappling experience salivate.

You are all right though. You should have a good base/root before you hit. Being flat footed with some bend in the knees distributes your power more effectively. Especially without the percussive aid of gloves or padding. Moderation in stance length/width and utilizing physics is a well kept secret of the real combative arts of Asia.

Where's Sport Billy?

Suntzu
06-09-2003, 07:36 AM
:rolleyes:

LEGEND
06-09-2003, 07:36 PM
"Being flat footed with some bend in the knees distributes your power more effectively."

LOL...being flat footed would get KO in a striking match and get u taken down in a grappling match. Throwing a punch while flat footed will do nothing for POWER.

brassmonkey
06-09-2003, 10:56 PM
maybe I havent paid attention but do not boxers always have 1 foot flat footed when they throw a punch and rarely otherwise are flat footed?

taijiquan_student
06-10-2003, 12:33 AM
"Throwing a punch while flat footed will do nothing for POWER."

Unless, of course, you practice Chinese martial arts, in which case you're not up on the balls of your feet at all.

Merryprankster
06-10-2003, 02:30 AM
Unless, of course, you practice Chinese martial arts, in which case you're not up on the balls of your feet at all.

Which is why you all punch like girls

(kidding, kidding. Really. I MEAN IT.)

brassmonkey, boxers root when they punch and are mobile at other times. Throwing on the fly is done to distract and cover movement, and set up shots. When boxing comes on tv, take a gander at the footwork. You'll see what I'm talking about. Boxing 101--you punch with a connection to the ground, for effect.

No offense Megapoint, but you'll just kick the supporting leg? You seem to have an awful lot of pat answers to things. You think the thais, with their vast experience in stand-up ring fighting, haven't figured that out yet? Just kick the supporting leg sounds a lot like "just knee him in the head on the way in when he shoots."

Secondly a good wrestler typically waxes a good boxer/thaiboxer because he is trained in two "ranges" not one. I wrestled and I don't salivate when they are on their toes. I salivate when I see flat feet. You're BEGGING to get dumped on your ass. If I see you with your weight slightly forward, on the balls of your feet, then I know you are in a good position to respond to me. If your feet are flat, you can't move. And if you can't move, you're toast.

Mr Punch
06-10-2003, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster

Which is why you all punch like girls

(kidding, kidding. Really. I MEAN IT.)
LOL! OK, OK smartarse, now you've sobered up, which bit of this was sarcastic!?:D

Otherwise agree. If you just kick a Thai fighter's supporting leg you will usually eat shin, or suck one up to the ribs (and dunno about you, but my ribs don't suck too easily!), whilst falling backwards, because you'll also have one leg in the air, and they'll be lifting you. One of the biggest dangers of Thais is their fast rooting and changes of combinations, IMO.

Megapoint
Being flat footed with some bend in the knees distributes your power more effectively.... Moderation in stance length/width and utilizing physics is a well kept secret of the real combative arts of Asia.
Really? Is that because dead men don't give secrets away?!:D

Perhaps you'll explain how 'rooting' with your whole foot will give you a more powerful connection to the ground than rooting through a smaller point on your foot? Especially interested in anything you can tell me about lbs/sq inch...

Or maybe something about how the physical interaction of the leg muscles or tendons can give you more leverage or force with a flat foot...?

Or is it too big a secret...?:rolleyes:

Mr Punch
06-10-2003, 03:26 AM
Incidentally, FWIW I liked the fight.

Some of the punches were connecting pretty well, and we don't know how much they were hurting.
The throws were cool. Well set-up.

red5angel
06-10-2003, 07:38 AM
I like the "fight that turned into a real fight" clip. I don't know how I feel about a "fight" turning into a "real fight".

LEGEND
06-10-2003, 02:47 PM
"Unless, of course, you practice Chinese martial arts, in which case you're not up on the balls of your feet at all."

Tried this on a WAVEMASTER while practicing WING CHUN straight punches...the only practicality in this way of fighting flat footed is if u're PULLING/TRAPPING an opponent at CLOSE RANGE.

norther practitioner
06-10-2003, 03:41 PM
I'm impressed with the opening encounter, the way the guy in black uses the sweep to open up his opponent, then there are some weaker punches traded, then upward block and punch by the guy in black that allows him to get inside to grab the guy and eventually take him down.