PDA

View Full Version : always fight like you are in range.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-01-2003, 09:28 PM
watching those videos people been posting about got me thinking.

those dudes always scuttled around making tiny adjustments before striking. like a tiny little step. just recently at class my sifu was telling us to avoid doing that as much as possible. he said that if the other dude knows his range well he's just waiting for you to do take a tiny little step right into his foot. you get whacked as soon as your foot lands. im not too good at not making those tiny steps yet, but from the other side it definatley works ... i been kicking the **** out of my classmates shins (not too hard) every time i see them do it. sifu's logic is that your better off throwing the kick out, even though you know its out of range, to make him react and find an opening.

this obviously isnt an end all be all, but something he wants us to keep in mind. there will be times you will have to adjust before striking. was just curious if anyone else has been told this and what'chyall thought.

Shooter
06-01-2003, 09:34 PM
sifu's logic is that your better off throwing the kick out, even though you know its out of range, to make him react and find an opening

Make him react like how? Shoot a double and KO slam your a$$? nice... :p

Christopher M
06-01-2003, 10:05 PM
FWIW, I've found being able to spontaneously, naturally, and skillfully make a small adjustment step to be one of the "secrets" to a successfull movement; although I'd agree that using them to maintain a noncontact range in response to an aggressive offense would be unadvisable.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-01-2003, 10:27 PM
if your not entirely joking shooter it would be just as easy to go for the double leg timed with the little step. if you were kicking higher than the knee i can see your point though.

also i should mention that this was in context of throwing things half assed. he was scolding us for pulling a punch or a kick if we changed our mind mid way through and got off on a tangent.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-01-2003, 11:33 PM
basically if you are going to throw the kick ... fu cking throw it. dont change your mind and waste movement. then he went on to say the same thing about obvious little steps before launching a strike.

im stoned so ill go on to say that he's all into this taoist sh it. he's all about finding the tao in fighting and just doing what's natural for the moment. if you feel like throwing a kick right then ... if it just feels right ... then fu cking do it. it'll work out one way or another. on the other hand if you walk in to the guy, feeling like you really want to kick, he's gonna feel it to and stop you before you start. maybe even do a double leg.