Mr Punch
06-02-2003, 02:42 AM
What are the differences in falling between

aiki

judo

JJ

shui chao (sp)?

How do you train them?
Comparisons to aiki would be useful for me as I've been training that for about 13 years. I'll put more into this thread later in the week when I have time.
When I say JJ, I mean BJJ or JJJ, and in those cases I'm especially interested in how you train falling, as a lot of the takedowns seem to be based on disrupting someone's structure so they CAN'T fall correctly.
I suppose the same is true of shui chao.

Cheers.

chen zhen
06-02-2003, 03:56 AM
I think Aikido's ukemi is more like "trying to jump over a chair with your head first"-style, if you know what I mean. and judo and JJJ ukemi is similar to each other, as they are also based on trying to break a fall after being throwed. BJJ-ukemi is more like wrestling, I guess.. and I don't know anything about wrestling-falling techniques.
is there an expert in the house..

Former castleva
06-03-2003, 02:15 PM
Aikido ukemi is intended to be circular,like the art generally is.
Smooth,and you are not supposed to slam the ground but gradually cut off the "corners".
Personally I do view this as some of the safest ways to fall (breakfalls are practiced)
IŽd feel jujutsu ukemi (or some related arts) may not necessarily differ crucially from that of aikido.
Judo ukemi to me is more "blunt".Of course body contact and throwing is often quite different as well.

JusticeZero
06-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Wouldn't know any of those. I just know that we focus on a lot of 'twist into a cartwheel' falling.

Mr Punch
06-20-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by chen zhen
I think Aikido's ukemi is more like "trying to jump over a chair with your head first"-style, if you know what I mean... Well, I always looked at aiki ukemi as trying to jump out of an elbow lock before it develops a permanent and unnatural bend myself but...

So far, thanks for the answers but they've been to another question! What I'm interested in is how the fall is engineered, and the purpose of the throw in practice.

In aiki, you can practise (and it is sometimes very useful to do so) with your partner resisting very strongly and just taking them to the point of balance. You don't have to go through with the 'throw'. And of course, if you do, you are taking them to that point of balance, and letting them fall naturally.

Then again, sometimes it's useful to slam it through. And sometimes it's useful for their breakfalling skills to slam it through and say, stick your knee in the way as they are falling, to simulate say, a kerb, or say, somebody sticking their knee in the way while you are falling...!

Why practise the breakfalls the way you are doing? And what is different between breakfalls in different arts?

Answers from people who've done more cross-training in these arts would be useful too.