PDA

View Full Version : How can we protect our reputations?

phantom
06-02-2003, 01:30 PM
Here in the United States, if you are with someone who has committed a crime, including talking on the phone with him or her, yet you do not know that such a person has committed any crime, you can still go to jail yourself, because you are considered gulity by association. If your instructor was arrested for a crime, is there any legal defense against being arrested yourself just because you have studied under him or her? No, this has not happened to me, I am just being hypothetical here. Thanks in advance.

Shaolin-Do
06-02-2003, 01:32 PM
Nope.
Only way you could get in trouble is if your sifu has done something illegal and wrong, which you either witnessed, or know about, and do nothing to rectify the situation.
You can also ruin your reputation by sleeping with underage wimmins.

MasterKiller
06-02-2003, 01:32 PM
I'm pretty sure you only get in trouble if you helped them avoid being caught, or if you either knowingly or unknowingly participated in the crime. Talking to a suspect is not against the law.

Shaolin-Do
06-02-2003, 01:38 PM
Masterkiller is always acting suspect.

Judge Pen
06-02-2003, 01:40 PM
There is no "guilty by association" in the legal sense. Therre is only aidding and abbetting if you provide aid to someone that you know has committed a crime.

Fred Sanford
06-02-2003, 01:59 PM
accessory or accomplice

norther practitioner
06-02-2003, 02:56 PM
The guilty by association thing does hold some merit after you do something wrong, they'll use it against you when they build your character in court. Also, if @#$% is going down, you could increminate yourself in conversations w/ said person if they are being monitored.....etc. Not to make anyone paranoid, but a guy that a roommate worked for in college got picked up by the Feds, scared the crap out of the roommates that poked the smot.....

shaolinboxer
06-03-2003, 09:52 AM
Right now I think that might be a problem only if the sensei and his students were of arabic descent.

Liokault
06-03-2003, 02:51 PM
As i see it guilt depends on being young and black......If your young and black you will be seen as guilty.

After a short time in prison you may on appeal get access to evidence to be retested .... as long as you agree not waver any right to sue the state should you prove your innocence.

straight blast
06-03-2003, 04:04 PM
How can we protect our reputations?

I recommend Chastity Belts :)

joedoe
06-03-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by straight blast

I recommend Chastity Belts :)

And stop dropping the soap :D

Leimeng
06-17-2003, 12:55 AM
~ Reputation is what others think of you.
~ Character is what you are for real.
~ Better to have strong Character instead of a good reputation.

Peace,

Sin Loi

Yi Beng, Kan Xue

:cool:

Repulsive Monkey
06-17-2003, 02:50 AM
In order to protect one's reputation you whole heartedly "Invest in loss", and ignore public opinion. Do not strive to prove anything but always remain in parity with natural principles. Reading Sun Tzu, and more importantly than that the superior Sun Tzu II: The Lost Art of War by Thomas Cleary. This second entailment is superior in my mind as it has a more Taoist slant, and was written by Sun Bin.

Whatever happens never let the ego and inflated pride dictate where to tread next.

JusticeZero
06-20-2003, 11:16 AM
Actually, post PATRIOT act, you CAN be arrested for associating with people who are associated with "terrorist" groups. I've already heard of someone locally who was jailed for owning a bookstore from which a loony (who had gone on to do something absurd and political) bought a book once.