PDA

View Full Version : oblique muscles?

chen zhen
06-02-2003, 02:29 PM
I'm beginning to get real fit, and has a nice workout routine, but I've forgot something..
the muscles on the sides of my torso and hips! they're pretty weak compared to my abs and other muscles down there.
so, any good exercises for these muscles, or is there some exercise that works the obliques as well as others all in one..?

Robinf
06-03-2003, 06:02 AM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?MainMuscle=Abdominals

If memory serves, moves the trunk in the direction of the obliques' build.

Becca
06-03-2003, 06:37 AM
When doing sit-ups, twits your torso. right elbow to outside of left knee, ect. also good - do 4 count sit-ups and hold for a count of 5 in "1" and "3". Tip your head back for added benefits.

Shaolin-Do
06-03-2003, 07:24 AM
Side sit ups.
Lay on side and do sit ups...
:)

chen zhen
06-03-2003, 07:36 AM
for some reason, it is difficult for me to do side sit ups.
the twisting sit ups I've been doing for years, but my obliques've never been strengthened much by it. maybe I did it wrong? I don't know.
The link was mostly exercises done with different kinds of apparatus that I don't have. but thanks anyway.:)

Becca
06-03-2003, 07:50 AM
If side sit-ups are hard for you, then your lats are reaallly weak. Try doing more reps of the twist and if you have free weights, try doing them while holding a weight to your chest. start with about ten lbs, then work your way up. Any kind of weight will do, actually. also try doing your sit-ups slowly. And hold on "1" and "3". A good isometric hold works wonders for strengthening weak/neglected muscle groups.

Ford Prefect
06-03-2003, 07:53 AM
1) Saxon Side Bends

2) Russian Twists (or Pavel's version "Full-contact twist")

Robinf
06-03-2003, 08:15 AM
What are Saxon Sidebends?

chen zhen
06-03-2003, 08:36 AM
the side bend is difficult because my legs will start moving upward at the same time as I try to lift my torso. it's more a question of doing it properly (which I obviously can't) than the muscle(s) being weak.

i also figured out standing side bends with dumbbells in the hand will be good. that's one exercise I have neglected.. I used to do them, but i could'nt see the results in the long run, so I ditched them. Oh, stupid me
;)

chen zhen
06-03-2003, 08:38 AM
Is the lats used in side bends? as you (becca) said. i have pretty strong lats, but my obliques ARE weak..

Becca
06-03-2003, 08:54 AM
The lower heads of the lats connect by the spine. if you're doing the exersize right and getting enough reps/resistance, it should make the muscle of what people think of as their lower back burn. It's not the lower back muscles, though. It's actually your lats. And if you are working your lats, your obliques are getting a work out as well, as they are inter dependant.

Ford Prefect
06-03-2003, 09:00 AM
Saxon Side Bends:

Named after turn of the century strongman "Arthur Saxon".

1) Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and arms held straight overhead with a dumbell in each hand. (like at the end of shoulder press)

2) Slowly bend to one side keeping your arms straight. Allow your hips to float in the opposite direction for balance purposes, so your body looks like a ")" or "(". (depending on which side you are leaning)

3) It is very important to make sure you don't tilt forward or backward and keep your body from twisting at all. Your torso should remain in the same position throughout the movement.

4) Tense your abs and "pull" with your obliques to straighten your body.

5) Bend to the other side.

6) Repeat.

Use a weight that you can complete 5-10 reps per side with. Start light. You'll be surprised how little weight is needed for this movement. Not only is this a good oblique exercise; it's good for your abs as well.

Robinf
06-03-2003, 09:05 AM
I like that. You're starting from a fully stretched position. Hmmm. I think I'll try that for a bit. But, I still thought the obliques' job was to twist--or is that the transverse abdominous?

Ford Prefect
06-03-2003, 09:53 AM
Depends on the movement. They can do both. That's what russian twists and full-contact twists nail the obliques as well. amung other things like twisting sit-ups) They are a stabilizing muscle and their nature is too pull the torso out of an irregular position (ie twisted and bent over sideways).

PLCrane
06-04-2003, 06:17 AM
There's a plyometric exercise for the obliques that you can do with a partner. Play catch with one of those big PT balls, and when you catch it, you go with the momentum of the ball, and twist your torso (so you're holding the ball off to your side), then twist forward and throw the ball.

Shaolin-Do
06-04-2003, 08:34 AM
Hey dude, if you cant balance while doing side sit ups, its all about finding the proper way to hook your feet together.I usually leave whatever side is down legon the bottom, and put the top of my other foot in the curve of the bottom of the opposite foot.
:)
Hope that helps.

Kumkuat
06-04-2003, 01:31 PM
I remember saxon side bends. They were pure evil. Even with 5 lb dumbells it was tough.