View Full Version : where are you at?

foolinthedeck
06-02-2003, 03:56 PM
i'm interested,
looking at this forum, everyone seems to be from
a> america
b> United Kingdom
c> Australia

although i have seen some people from copenhagen, finland, and Phenix - where are you ? people call you hendrick, are you deutsch?

what i'm interested in is the apparent lack of wing chunners from france, spain, other euro countries and other countries in the world: canada, china?

does this reflect on wing chun or just on the magazine's distribution??

there will always be those who will come back to me and say - yes they are in canada, japan etc - but let me knwo also what the wing chun situation is like there!!

thats a point!!! do many people in Japan do wing chun????? i ask because of perhaps cultural prejudices or just mine???

anerlich
06-02-2003, 05:08 PM
You may have noticed that the places on your list have English as their first language, same as this forum, the others don't so much ... maybe that has something to do with it?

Wing Tsun is REALLY strong in Europe, esp. Germany.

Alpha Dog
06-02-2003, 06:21 PM
Unfortunately this forum isn't equipped to accomodate Chinese characters. Perhaps if it did there might be more input to pique the curiosities and interests of those who like to study Wing Chun.

WCis4me
06-02-2003, 09:32 PM
wow those are limited choices, no asia or europe or canada, lol or are those 'other strange places.;)

quiet man
06-03-2003, 01:16 AM
Well, I'm from an 'other strange place' :D.

And yes, WC is strong in Europe. My sifu was a direct student of sigung WSL for 9 years. Sifu Philipp Bayer (Germany) is also direct student of WSL. Sifu Nino Bernardo and many others too.

Mr Punch
06-03-2003, 01:34 AM
I'm from the UK, but I've lived in Japan for over three years and intend to live here longer.

There is one wing chun school through Sifu Embrey Williams, who learned in Hawaii from John D Virgilio (from Robert Yeung? Forget his name...). Very 'external'. He has about 15-20 students spread between two scools in Tokyo and Yokohama. Most of his students are foreigners, probably because he teaches mostly in English. The lineage is traditional Yip Man, but the class is very informal, except for an emphasis on grading.

There is a wing chun school through Sifu Chen Yien (sp), who studied in Taiwan from Lo Man Kam (Yip Man's nephew). He teaches in Japanese, to mostly, surprise surprise, Japanese people. The classes are quite big. He is very traditional and my training partner who has trained under Lo Man Kam and sampled Yien, says his kungfu is very good. Although he is traditional he apprently mixes it with maybe Chen taichi, but not so as most people would notice.

There is another school with an English sifu (don't know his name). He seems traditional, maybe from Samuel Kwok, then Shawn Rawcliffe (both Yip Man through Yip Chun and Yip Ching: Rawcliffe is one of Kwok's previous students). All I can say about those to sifus is I've been very impressed by both them and their students' quality in general. That school here is small, taught in English, and unadvertised.

There is another group through a guy called Kenneth Lim (through various lineages including a couple of non-Yip Man ones). Excellent (or at least very interesting and not so run-of-the-mill) form and analysis of same.

There's also a guy from Leung Ting's organisation who when I crossed hands with him, was talking about setting up a school. Don't know if he has. Good hands.

Then there's me and me mates! Various lineages. Work hard. Mix it up.

Outside of Tokyo (or Kanto at least), I don't think there is any wing chun.

There you go!

;)

quiet man
06-03-2003, 01:36 AM
Mat, you've just made this up, haven't you? :D ;)

Mr Punch
06-03-2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by foolinthedeck

thats a point!!! do many people in Japan do wing chun????? Not many, but it is available. Not so popular, maybe because it's mostly taught in English... Those who do train seem to be hobbyists or crosstrainers, but most people who want the art aspect are spoiled with native arts, and those who want to learn to fight go to MMA gyms which are very popular and generally good quality over here.

foolinthedeck
06-03-2003, 02:10 AM
anerlich -
sure the language thing is definite, all these countries were once part of the british empire too. But then so too canada, new zealand, parts of africa, india etc...
is it just Tsun that is big in germany in your opinion anerlich or chun too?

thanks mat for the info on japan.

Phil Redmond
06-03-2003, 08:16 AM
Hey Mat,
I have heard from a Canadian friend of mine that has a Japanese girlfriend that the WC school in Japan doesn't admit women. It could be just hearsay but it'd be strange if the macho attitude wouldn't allow women to study an art which some legend say was creatd by a woman. I'll check there site again to see if there are any women in the class.
Phil

rubthebuddha
06-03-2003, 09:59 AM
Mat,

i'm from Leung Ting's family -- who is the guy over there who said he was thinking of starting up a school? me curious. :)

foolinthedeck,

chun in general is big in germany, but tsun is hyoooge. i think Sifu Kernspecht has about 19 zillion schools in der fatherland alone.

nico
06-03-2003, 11:09 AM
<-- is from norway

reneritchie
06-03-2003, 01:04 PM
Canada. From the Sum Nung family, quite well spread in Guangdong province, almost unheard of elsewhere...

foolinthedeck
06-03-2003, 03:07 PM
is wing chun in germany bigger than in britain?
i wouldnt have thought so because of the colonial links, but wow.
thanks rubdabuddha

KingMonkey
06-03-2003, 03:10 PM
Ahh ignore this didnt realize initially you were making the distinction between Tsun and Chun.

ntc
06-03-2003, 03:13 PM
From Macau, next to Hong Kong.

foolinthedeck
06-03-2003, 03:17 PM
interesting
http://wingtsunwelt.vipex.net/english/index.html

king monkey mentioned keith someone - but you just modified your post king monkey... anyway, heres his website - he has nice articles on wing chun and cycling among other things, i'm browsing..

KingMonkey
06-03-2003, 03:23 PM
Yes realized I hadnt read the previous posts properly and was adding nothing useful... rather like this post :D

Mr Punch
06-04-2003, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Phil Redmond
Hey Mat,
I have heard from a Canadian friend of mine that has a Japanese girlfriend that the WC school in Japan doesn't admit women. It could be just hearsay but it'd be strange if the macho attitude wouldn't allow women to study an art which some legend say was creatd by a woman. I'll check there site again to see if there are any women in the class.
Phil Embrey's school admits women. I wouldn't recommend it to them though: it seems to be big guys' wing chun... :eek:
Don't know about Yien, but my friend checked him out and I'm pretty sure he would have mentioned if there were none... I'll ask him.
The others aren't really schools as yet.
Who's your friend? Does he practise? Does he still live here? I may have met him... pls pm me if you prefer.

rtb
i'm from Leung Ting's family -- who is the guy over there who said he was thinking of starting up a school? me curious.Yeah but as someone said (! :D) there are about 19 zillion schools in ze fazerland itself (what's a thillion anyway...!?:D)... I doubt you know him, but his name's David Sakurai and he learnt in Denmark, I can't remember his sifu's name, but he is also from Denmark.

fitd
is wing chun in germany bigger than in britain?
i wouldnt have thought so because of the colonial links, but wow.
The colonial links were somewhat lessened before wing chun became widespread. Plus, there are quite a few Chinese people, and quite a few of these have bugger all interest in kungfu... strange I know, but true!:D
I think Germany has the most practitioners outside of China largely thanks to the efforts of Keith Kernspecht under Leung Ting.

Mr Punch
06-04-2003, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by quiet man
Mat, you've just made this up, haven't you? :D ;) Yes I did.
In fact I live in a secure wing under the auspices of one Old Jong.
Quite as crazy as a bag of spanners.

Quiet Man, you are quite possibly odd.:D :p

quiet man
06-04-2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Mat

Quiet Man, you are quite possibly odd.:D :p

Nope. I'm even.

Even Steven, i might add.

:D ;)

foolinthedeck
06-05-2003, 11:51 AM
mat
does keith kernspecht have his own website? i've tried searching but various organisations list him as a sifu. where can i find the major german wing chun org? i'm interested especailly in Thuringia...
thanks