PDA

View Full Version : Iron rings sold by kung fu magazine

WinterPalm
06-03-2003, 09:43 AM
On the measurements, are they referring to the diameter or distance across?
I'm a pretty skinny fellow and was wondering which would be best to order.
Any help will be appreciated.

norther practitioner
06-03-2003, 09:44 AM
diameter=distance across a circle, passing through the center.....

Shaolin-Do
06-03-2003, 09:48 AM
I think you confused diameter with circumference... Most places would measure around, cause its kinda hard to measure through your wrist...
:)

norther practitioner
06-03-2003, 09:56 AM
5'' outside and 3 3/4'' inside. Weight 1 lb 9 oz. These are the original weight training in Chinese Martial Arts. These provide the ultimate in weight resistance. How many can you handle? Sold separately.

These would be diameters... 3 3/4" is the diameter of the hole.....

:confused:

WinterPalm
06-03-2003, 11:30 AM
My confusification. Thanks for the replies. SO which would you guys think are the best, the medium or the large.

David Jamieson
06-03-2003, 06:56 PM
They should be large enough that your hand can fit through them and they can move on your forearms. They shouldn't fly up over your elbows or off your hands when you move.

If you close your fist and lower your arm, they shouldn't slide off.

It really depends on the size of your wrists and forearms.
The ones that are in your school are large and approximately the same size and dimension as those you can get at Martialartsmart.
Ask sifu if you can try out the ones he has. Those are the large size.

cheers

WinterPalm
06-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Thank you.
Yes I've tried Sifu's and they don't slip off.
I'll look into some; they sure are expensive

David Jamieson
06-04-2003, 07:12 AM
yep. they are expensive, but in the long run they are worth your investment.

I've found that quality martial arts training equipment is not only expensive, but it is pretty hard to come by.
There are very few online places like martial arts mart that actually can supply decent goods.

I've been through 3 broadswords now! I finally found a decent one and the other two have become art on the wall :D

I got my Kwan Do through MAM and it is really quite sturdy and of good quality. It weighs about 20+lbs and is much heavier than the standard ones you'll see in a shop (if you actually see one in a shop).

Anyway, one word of advice is that when you buy your set of rings, buy the whole set. If you piece it out the prices will change. May as well start with all the rings and scale up to using them as you get stronger.

cheers

GeneChing
06-04-2003, 09:06 AM
Here are those rings - large (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/45-42l.html) & medium (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/45-42m.html) (just like condoms, we don't carry small;) )

I've seen people take the mediums and place them closer to the wrist as sort of a keeper ring, then stack the larger ones behind it. It depends on how many rings you want really. I've known some guys to get into the total macho trip and stack as many rings from wrist to elbow as possible. BTW, I did an article on the usage of iron rings as weapons in our MAR APR 2002 issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=146). They are always listed among the projectile weapons, but I've never actually seen anyone practice with them. The closest is an Indian chakra, but read the article if you are really interested...

David Jamieson
06-04-2003, 09:21 AM
but I've never actually seen anyone practice with them

I could produce a video :D...web only...lol

cheers

PHILBERT
06-04-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Kung Lek

I could produce a video :D...web only...lol

cheers

Go for it.

WinterPalm
06-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I'd like to see the video.
However, I think I'll just start with two and work my way towards four or five as I get stronger and more conditioned.
Thanks, and I think I'll get the small ones and then stack bigger ones behind as I progress. My wrists are quite skinny.

David Jamieson
06-05-2003, 04:50 AM
wp-

you don't need to see a video! you have a sifu who can perform a set live for you! :D

anyway, yeah, it's recommended that you start with 1 or 2 and add weight as strength increases.

trust me, when you start, you are really gonna feel them on ya.
constant!

cheers