PDA

View Full Version : How many years have you studied WC/WT ?

KingMonkey
06-03-2003, 11:15 AM
Thought it'd be interesting to get a snapshot of the experience levels posting here.

rubthebuddha
06-03-2003, 11:47 AM
mad props to the 3-5 bracket! (four years here)

reneritchie
06-03-2003, 01:03 PM
just over 12...

Jim Roselando
06-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Since late in 89 but in April 2001 was when I really began to study the inner beauty I would say and every year I love this art even more!

:D

PHILBERT
06-03-2003, 01:39 PM
Just over a year :( I haven't even gotten to do chi sao except with dan chi. Though I have finally learned the movements to Chum Kiu :D (but not application mind you)

ntc
06-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Going on my 30th year.

azwingchun
06-03-2003, 03:21 PM
Just over 14 years, though, I joined my first official Wing Chun school (organization) about 10 years ago. ;)

yuanfen
06-03-2003, 05:45 PM
wing chun since 1976. Other arts and activities before 1976.

yylee
06-03-2003, 06:49 PM
So Joy makes me a newbie in front of him :), I only started in 89. Took a whole year off in 89, joint a new lineage in 99.

yuanfen
06-03-2003, 07:12 PM
Be true that. Yes can say.
Yoda
click, click, click

quiet man
06-04-2003, 01:19 AM
June the 1st, 1998. (Five years exactly :))

quiet man
06-04-2003, 01:20 AM
... oh, and I bow to the ground for ntc and yuanfen. :cool:

Mr Punch
06-04-2003, 03:24 AM
8 or so.
I forget.
Props to the old-timers: hope one day I get to fight you all before you die...!:D... and the younguns before I die...!:( :D

quiet man
06-04-2003, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Mat
8 or so.
I forget.

Took too many punches in the old cabeza, eh Mat? :D ;)

ntc
06-04-2003, 08:46 AM
You guys crack me up.... great sense of humor.

My WC journey has been a wonderful experience, especially since I have been blessed with a wonderful teacher. Been with him since the start, and still am learning new things all the time, especially when working out with him.

This is a wonderful thread... KingMonkey: thanks for starting it. It is great to see how dedicated people are to the art these days.

KingMonkey
06-04-2003, 09:02 AM
Yes interesting stuff, I didnt expect so many people with 20+ years of experience ! :D

Alpha Dog
06-04-2003, 09:02 AM
Dog years or people years?

yuanfen
06-04-2003, 09:25 AM
Dog ears?

Which dog??

Great danes dont live long-unfortunately the crankiest
poodles live forever. Looks like Chewbacca as well
as long as there are CDs and their successors..
Size of the dog is involved in age equivalencies-
I dont know about Alpha versus beta...let alone the omega
of the pack.
Years in wing chun does not necessarily mean much.
But reverse of bad propositions are not neccessarily true either!!

ntc
06-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Totally concur with Yuan.... time does not mean much. Its how you trained during that time, and especially who you trained with/under. Having 5 solid years with a wonderful teacher is much more productive and means more than twice that time with a bad teacher.

KingMonkey
06-04-2003, 01:00 PM
I totally agree guys. I mean I've only been training a little over 2 years and I'm sure I could kick all of your ass*s, either one at a time or all at once. ;)

But seriously I agree it's an imperfect unit of measurement for skill but it's an imperfect world after all............

Mr Punch
06-04-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by quiet man

Took too many punches in the old cabeza, eh Mat? :D ;) (Joey from friends...)Yeah, but fortunately, that's not where I keep my grey stuff, huh?!:p

:D

WTJune
06-05-2003, 12:45 AM
just started last year in Feb..... and 3 Weeks ago I started Poon sao - great !!!

ntc
06-05-2003, 10:31 AM
WTJune:

Good for you and welcome...... I wish you much success and the best in your training.

PQS
06-05-2003, 02:43 PM
a year next month, just starting to learn chum kiu and dan chi sao I love it
regards
Peter

WTJune
06-05-2003, 11:01 PM
Thanx ntc....

greets from austria

june

John Weiland
06-06-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by yuanfen
Dog ears?

Which dog??

My dog, Chewbacca (Chewy), was a shaggy Austrian shepherd. Sadly, he passed away about a year ago. He was always the Alpha male in his mind. :)

Years in wing chun does not necessarily mean much.
But reverse of bad propositions are not neccessarily true either!!
Very true. Years under a good teacher are a plus. Years of floundering or of self deception have the reverse effect.

As my profile states, I began Wing Chun September 6, 1997 with my Sifu Ben Der. One of the great regrets in my life is that while I was wasting time in so many other MAs and other teachers, I could have been studying with him if I had known who and what he was as his teaching years have covered two-thirds of my lifetime. :)

That's sorta like my regret that I didn't buy Microsoft stock in 1988. :D

Regards,

foolinthedeck
06-07-2003, 03:01 AM
i agree that its how u train not how long you have but with some caveats (whatever a caveat is..)

1. training for a long time gives you time to meditate on the wing chun and mature with it. a few years training hard may make you very good physically, but it still cant beat a long time living with wing chun even if your training is haphazard, this is because you learn to see it with the different eyes - for me when i was in school i had one perception of life and reality and therefore of wing chun, at college i had another, now i have a third - generalisations but true.

2.i suppose the only other thing i wanted to say is that it depends when you started, thsi follows on form my other point, if you did 10 years of wing chun in your 40's when your perception of things may well be set, its not gonna be the same as if you began when you were young and spent the next 10 years.

i began at age 16 and now approach 26 making almost 10 years

StickyHands
06-07-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by KingMonkey
I totally agree guys. I mean I've only been training a little over 2 years and I'm sure I could kick all of your ass*s, either one at a time or all at once. ;)

But seriously I agree it's an imperfect unit of measurement for skill but it's an imperfect world after all............

Yup look at me, I dont have any Wing Chun trainings what so ever, but Im a wanna be, and I know where some of the schools are and one or two good teachers, and I know what Wing Chun looks like, and their methods of fighting, other than that, I know NADA about it! But I can kick any of you guy's asses! MUHAHAHH :D

sel
06-07-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by ntc
Totally concur with Yuan.... time does not mean much. Its how you trained during that time, and especially who you trained with/under. Having 5 solid years with a wonderful teacher is much more productive and means more than twice that time with a bad teacher.

absolutely agree with that. even with a wonderful teacher though, one needs to be a good student. i have seen students of my wonderful sifu put in their time, but not well. their mindset is too rigid so they miss out on the evolution of their skill.