PDA

View Full Version : Former castleva

azwingchun
06-03-2003, 11:46 AM
Here are just a few of his sites.

http://www.drweilselfhealing.com/
http://www.drweil.com/app/cda/drw_cda.html-command=HealthConditions-pt=Conditions
http://www.family-friendly-fun.com/health/alternative/Andrew-Weil.htm

Enjoy....I am sure you may be able to find better sites, but these were just a few off the top of the search engine. ;)

Former castleva
06-03-2003, 01:53 PM
Thanks.This is so too much. ;)

Now that I have been understood.
See;
http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22334

I´ve already got two threads dedicated to me in one,TCM forum.

I´ve been reading this site a bit.
Nothing alarming so far. ;)

azwingchun
06-03-2003, 03:04 PM
No, your right nothing to alarming now that I have read over a little bit myself. But if you get into him a little deeper you may change your mind. LOL!!!!! He is a very strong believer in all sorts of alternative medicine though combined with Western medicine.

I remember a show he was on one day (Oprah to be exact), and he made a statement that was of some interest. He stated that the whole time he was in med. school the word heal or to heal someone was never mentioned or used. He said that this kinda bugged him since that is why he wanted to be a doctor ( I believe he said the only term used was 'to treat'). But he realized the word heal was often used in various types of alternative medicine. I believe that he went on to say that this is what peaked his interest in alternative medicine. Though these aren't actual quotes, it was very much along these lines. ;)

azwingchun
06-03-2003, 03:14 PM
By the way, don't flatter yourselve too much, I hit new thread by accident when I made this thread. It was supposed to be a post under our ongoing one. Sorry, didn't mean to burst your bubble. Kidding....LOL!!!!:D

Former castleva
06-03-2003, 03:26 PM
"I remember a show he was on one day (Oprah to be exact), and he made a statement that was of some interest. He stated that the whole time he was in med. school the word heal or to heal someone was never mentioned or used. He said that this kinda bugged him since that is why he wanted to be a doctor ( I believe he said the only term used was 'to treat'). But he realized the word heal was often used in various types of alternative medicine. I believe that he went on to say that this is what peaked his interest in alternative medicine. Though these aren't actual quotes, it was very much along these lines"

"heal","treat",all the same to me,really.

I noticed some very minor points that hint at quackery but I was surprised how often he seemed to introduce some quack therapy and then he would say "BUT there is no scientific evidence...".
:)

Maybe I should look more to it then.

"By the way, don't flatter yourselve too much, I hit new thread by accident when I made this thread. It was supposed to be a post under our ongoing one. Sorry, didn't mean to burst your bubble. Kidding....LOL!!!!"

Huh...I was concerned for a second.

azwingchun
06-03-2003, 03:38 PM
I noticed some very minor points that hint at quackery but I was surprised how often he seemed to introduce some quack therapy and then he would say "BUT there is no scientific evidence...".

Surprised?!?!?!? Why would you be? You can't in many cases make claims like that legally without coming under fire. Whether you believe them to be true or not. I believe he is just covering his butt, so the powers that be don't come down harshly on him.

Former castleva
06-03-2003, 03:43 PM
Not everyone thinks so.
You can do a search to find a page of some school which tells you how their methods might help fight terminal or difficult diseases that conventional medicine can´t they say and they seemingly do not feel too shy about it. :)

azwingchun
06-03-2003, 03:50 PM
I agree there are those sites, and these things are still being stated by many herb companies. But, it doesn't mean they don't get nailed once in awhile for unproven claims.

I don't know how it is in Finland (if that is where you really are...LOL), but I know many herbal companies are being told they can't make any claims which have not been tested and proven. Even speaking with Dr. Chow, he has been told to be very careful how he words things to his patients when using TCM, or he can lose his ability to practice TCM professionally.

We had a guy come to his office once who has been battleing this very samething for about 17 years off and on. Needless to say he hasn't lost yet. But he was told in one case that he couldn't by law tell someone that they had asthma, because that word is a medical term, which is owned by them and could be sued if he used medical terminology in his alternative medicine practice.

Former castleva
06-03-2003, 04:02 PM
"I don't know how it is in Finland (if that is where you really are...LOL), but I know many herbal companies are being told they can't make any claims which have not been tested and proven. Even speaking with Dr. Chow, he has been told to be very careful how he words things to his patients when using TCM, or he can lose his ability to practice TCM professionally. "

I left Arizona a couple of hours ago after leaving the message in your house.Finland is my location and I do not know whether herbs really are a big deal here but I think they are landing.

"We had a guy come to his office once who has been battleing this very samething for about 17 years off and on. Needless to say he hasn't lost yet. But he was told in one case that he couldn't by law tell someone that they had asthma, because that word is a medical term, which is owned by them and could be sued if he used medical terminology in his alternative medicine practice."

What´s your opinion on this?
I can understand that.

azwingchun
06-03-2003, 04:21 PM
I left Arizona a couple of hours ago after leaving the message in your house.

Wow....and I thought that love letter was from my wife?!?! LOL!!!

What´s your opinion on this?

I can see the point that without medical test you should not be allowed to diagnos someone with terms such as these, but it doesn't end here. I can also get into trouble if I tell someone that I am treating or going to help their asmtha. My opinion on the just mentioned, I don't see a problem. It's all in the dialogue that can get you into trouble it seems.

Example, this Dr. Chow I always refer to doesn't use the medical terms such as asmtha, he refers to the ailment by the name of the treatment. let me give you an example-let's say you have the flu and go to his office. You ask him if he can help your flu, he'll tell you he doesn't know how to help your flu. He'll then ask what are your symptoms as well as look you over and do a few test with you and find out your background. You tell him that you have a stiff neck, your eyes hurt when you look up and that you are tired. He then will possibly say that you have symptoms of Decoction of Pleuriae, this being the name of the herbal remedy he is going to give you. This is just an example, so don't be to harsh on me and I am by no means a TCM doctor.

So in other words he can't tell you he is going to give you something for the flu, because he isn't a doctor, he has to beat around the bush in a sense. If he doesn't he can loose his practice. Besides he claims this is how it was done in Classical Chinese medicine anyway.

Finland is my location and I do not know whether herbs really are a big deal here but I think they are landing.

The reason I asked, is I read that England and many of the European countries are cracking down on what can be sold over the counter and what claims can and can't be made.

Former castleva
06-03-2003, 04:35 PM
"Wow....and I thought that love letter was from my wife?!?! LOL!!!"

That one? Oh,that love letter was but a response to a letter that wife of yours...just forget about it. :o
;)

"I can see the point that without medical test you should not be allowed to diagnos someone with terms such as these, but it doesn't end here. I can also get into trouble if I tell someone that I am treating or going to help their asmtha. My opinion on the just mentioned, I don't see a problem. It's all in the dialogue that can get you into trouble it seems."

A bit odd actually imo.

"Example, this Dr. Chow I always refer to doesn't use the medical terms such as asmtha, he refers to the ailment by the name of the treatment. let me give you an example-let's say you have the flu and go to his office. You ask him if he can help your flu, he'll tell you he doesn't know how to help your flu. He'll then ask what are your symptoms as well as look you over and do a few test with you and find out your background. You tell him that you have a stiff neck, your eyes hurt when you look up and that you are tired. He then will possibly say that you have symptoms of Decoction of Pleuriae, this being the name of the herbal remedy he is going to give you. This is just an example, so don't be to harsh on me and I am by no means a TCM doctor."

I know some alt. practitioners may direct their patients to conventional health care,possibly aware that their diagnosis is not on the trained side (not directly referring to anyone specific)
Not being harsh on you.
I thought a tcm doctor could use their own terminology to the direction of "damp heat" or whatever they´d call it for,say asthma or flu but I´m NOT a tcm doctor. ;)

"The reason I asked, is I read that England and many of the European countries are cracking down on what can be sold over the counter and what claims can and can't be made."

Sounds promising.

azwingchun
06-03-2003, 04:55 PM
I thought a tcm doctor could use their own terminology to the direction of "damp heat" or whatever they´d call it for,say asthma or flu but I´m NOT a tcm doctor.

They can, but when they start using so-called medical terms they need to be very careful!

Sounds promising.

How did I expect that response? LOL!!!! ;)