PDA

View Full Version : Most productive solo training ?

KingMonkey
06-03-2003, 01:38 PM
I'm sure that to an extent this will depend on where you are with your WC/WT and your ultimate goals.

Nevertheless I'm interested in peoples opinions on the most productive ways of training or useful areas to focus on when alone, any solo drills you've found particularly useful etc.

kj
06-03-2003, 01:43 PM
The Wing Chun sets
Sand Bag training
Stepping and Turning practice
Breakout movements from the sets
More and more and more of all of these; one can never practice them enough.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

John Weiland
06-03-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by kj

The Wing Chun sets
Sand Bag training
Stepping and Turning practice
Breakout movements from the sets
More and more and more of all of these; one can never practice them enough.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo
KJ is correct as usual. :D

As it alone of these listed points simulates real contact and most enhances position and sensitivity, I would emphasize that the wooden dummy set is extremely important to practice when one has no training partners, although it is no subsititute for a real partner.

Regards,

anerlich
06-03-2003, 03:49 PM
ROSS biomechanical exercises, explosive and vibrational breathing drills.

Interval sprints and agility drills.

Shadow boxing, kickboxing, and grappling.

Heavy bag boxing, kickboxing and grappling drills.

Neurotic
06-03-2003, 07:07 PM
Currently on hiatus due to the removal of my appendix - but soon to start back up -

General excercise stuff -
Running, weights, general calisthenic stuff (I love my fitball)

More Running. I try and get out and do a 3 or 4 km run at least once or twice a week.

Forms, forms and more forms.

For a long time I was into doing single application drills, just to work that muscle memory, now I do less, but I go back to it every so often.

Weapon's drills / Coordination drills

Shadow boxing I have found useful, more because of the theroy aspect - I.e. I'll find new stuff, techniques etc off the flow with shadow boxing, which I will then be able to experiment further with a partner.

Stuff like that... realistically, depends on what I feel like doing on the day :D

Gandolf269
06-03-2003, 09:39 PM
- Chain punches
- Forms
- Poon Sau (solo)
- Sand bag punching
- Steps and turning combined with single techniques (pak dar, kick punch, tan dar, etc.)

Edmund
06-03-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by anerlich
ROSS biomechanical exercises, explosive and vibrational breathing drills.

Interval sprints and agility drills.

Shadow boxing, kickboxing, and grappling.

Heavy bag boxing, kickboxing and grappling drills.

Hi Andrew,

Do you just run for your interval training?

I ask because a friend is preparing for an amateur fight in August and I am looking for some info on interval training.

chief108
06-03-2003, 11:01 PM
check out www.selini108.com
there's more than enough stuf to train there :p

Chief108

anerlich
06-04-2003, 04:22 PM
Ed,

I do mainly 40/50 yard sprints, with jogs to recover, interspersed with agility drills like backward running, shuffling to the side, carioca, double and single leg bounds, etc.

If the repetition gets too boring, I sometimes run streets, doing the old sprint to the next power pole, jog to the one after, sprint to the next, jog, sprint, jog, ...

Some good resources I've found are at

www.rossboxing.com (some good free articles, but the book itself is downloadable at USD30 and is a very good training manual, certainly extensible to kickboxing)

www.mma.tv/TUF - go to Strength and Conditioning forum, then Saved Threads, then Taku's intervals

www.conditioningsecrets.com

for agility drills, I bought a book called "Speed Agility and Quickness drills" or similar (can't remember author or ISBN - if really interested, tell me and I'll find them).

Edmund
06-04-2003, 08:50 PM
Thanks Andrew,

I actually found Taku's interval routine on the www.conditioningsecrets.com. It was very helpful.

Don't worry about the ISBN.

I am mainly after having an alternative exercise from sprints for some variety and to ease off on the legs a little. Also something indoors may make things a bit more convenient. Taku suggested a number of different exercise machines. The rowing machine seems to be the best bet as the others are a bit hard to find.

-----

KingMonkey, for solo training I try to do something different from what I would do during regular WC training classes: Weight training, yoga, running on beaches or up hills, etc. I think it's more productive because you train aspects that wouldn't get the same amount of attention during classes.

Originally posted by anerlich
Ed,

I do mainly 40/50 yard sprints, with jogs to recover, interspersed with agility drills like backward running, shuffling to the side, carioca, double and single leg bounds, etc.

If the repetition gets too boring, I sometimes run streets, doing the old sprint to the next power pole, jog to the one after, sprint to the next, jog, sprint, jog, ...

Some good resources I've found are at

www.rossboxing.com (some good free articles, but the book itself is downloadable at USD30 and is a very good training manual, certainly extensible to kickboxing)

www.mma.tv/TUF - go to Strength and Conditioning forum, then Saved Threads, then Taku's intervals

www.conditioningsecrets.com

for agility drills, I bought a book called "Speed Agility and Quickness drills" or similar (can't remember author or ISBN - if really interested, tell me and I'll find them).

John Weiland
06-04-2003, 10:10 PM
Hi Edmund,

Originally posted by Edmund
I am mainly after having an alternative exercise from sprints for some variety and to ease off on the legs a little. Also something indoors may make things a bit more convenient. Taku suggested a number of different exercise machines. The rowing machine seems to be the best bet as the others are a bit hard to find.

I didn't interpret the question to be about non-Wing Chun solo training, but I like Andrew Nerlich's suggestions for conditioning.

For indoors, I have always liked skipping rope. Lots of variety there if you extend your imagination a little. Good for hand and foot coordination too.

I haven't been doing it lately due to plantar fasciitis, but I just got a new rope so I plan to begin again soon.

Regards,

mun hung
06-04-2003, 11:32 PM
There are countless things to practice by yourself, but if I had to pick just one - it would be pole training.

reneritchie
06-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Too many jokes... can't... type...

foolinthedeck
06-05-2003, 12:21 PM
so far no one mentioned any kind of physchological or mental training.

i'd recommend visualisations, both doing the forms and drills, but also visualisations of chi sau and combat - with you winning, positivity is important.

also meditation and quiet time. contemplation, ontological work, understanding what wing chun is, escaping the matrix etc...

Edmund
06-05-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by John Weiland
For indoors, I have always liked skipping rope. Lots of variety there if you extend your imagination a little. Good for hand and foot coordination too.

Thanks John.

Nice recommendation. Skipping is good.

Kempo Guy
06-06-2003, 11:27 AM
I recommend Scrapper's website (www.trainforstrength.com). He's got several workouts on his website.

I also agree with anerlich about doing some of the ROSS biomechanical exercises. For WC, I'd probably recommend Fisticuffs (although maximology is pretty useful as well).

KG

anerlich
06-07-2003, 05:06 AM
I'd probably recommend Fisticuffs (although maximology is pretty useful as well).

The Shockability series ROCKS for WC. It expalined in concrete Western terms a lot of the vague "jing" and "qi" concepts some people here discuss endlessly without making much sense or convincing me they have a clue what they are talking about.

I was a bit disappointed with Maximology myself - but probably only because I have other series on which a lot of the material is covered as well.

fgxpanzerz
06-07-2003, 01:09 PM
My personal training, for today only, is a bucket of KFC and some mashed tators. I may not be working as hard as some of you today...but it tastes good.