PDA

View Full Version : anyone know about this guy?

templefist
06-03-2003, 07:10 PM
I never knew this school was in my area, anyone ever heard of him?
Chinese Fistology (http://www.wingho.net/fistology/biography.html)

joedoe
06-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Fistology?

Laughing Cow
06-03-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by joedoe
Fistology?

The site reads to me like it was translated with a dictionary and poor english skill on behalf of the translator.

Chuan Fa = Fist Law or Fist method and could be mistranslated as Fistology by a non english speaker.

I have encountered this type of translation style often from Chinese or japanese with a poor grasp of english, this goes down to certain spelling mistakes often seen.

Cheers.

joedoe
06-03-2003, 07:44 PM
OK, fair enough. Could also be taken in a bad way :D

Laughing Cow
06-03-2003, 07:54 PM
OK, fair enough. Could also be taken in a bad way :D

Naturally, but bad english should not be taken as having bad MA skills or lack of knowledge in the arts.
There are quiet a few known Masters who struggle to communicate in anything other than their mother-tongue.

My Sifu could barely speak the local tongue when he arrived I hear from senior students.

Best advise would be to visit the place since it seems to be close to templefist.

joedoe
06-03-2003, 08:13 PM
No, I wasn't insinuating that his MA was bad (I mean how much can you really tell from a website unless there are good video clips available). I was referring to the term 'Fistology' and what it might otherwise imply :D

Laughing Cow
06-03-2003, 08:19 PM
No, I wasn't insinuating that his MA was bad (I mean how much can you really tell from a website unless there are good video clips available). I was referring to the term 'Fistology' and what it might otherwise imply :D

Only to people that are that way inclined I guess.

:D ;)

joedoe
06-03-2003, 08:38 PM
Or those with gutter minds :D

templefist
06-03-2003, 08:52 PM
Yeah, Ill just have to go down there and see if for myself, I was just wondering if anyone had heard of him or his teachers.

I figured the whole "fistology" thing was just really bad translation.

Sho
06-04-2003, 02:34 AM
Oh dear, these should be sent to Engrish.com. :D
Fistology.. Sounds so **** funny, but also brings some sick images. :eek:

'Pugilism' would be a better equivalent for 'quanxue'.

David Jamieson
06-04-2003, 07:18 AM
I agree with sho that pugilism would have been a better word to use...seeing as fistology isn't even a word in the english language!:eek:

Anyway, fist method or fist law is indeed the transliteration of "Chuan Fa" or the shortend cantonese "kuen" or even the -other- word:p (*cough* kempo *cough*)

cheers

cha kuen
06-12-2003, 12:08 AM
Wow , he learned from southern master wong gong ke. That is deep lineage right there..