PDA

View Full Version : Secretary Of State Colin Powell ,and his Hung Gar roots?

jmd161
06-03-2003, 09:01 PM
Hey everyone,

Here's something i found on another forum.They were talking about Southern China kung fu styles and the salutes (bow) that different southern styles have and what they mean.

Well in the movie "Big Trouble In Little China" it show's the salute that a Hung Gar stylist will use to address another Hung Gar stylist.Here's the salute.From the movie and from a picture of Colin Powell.

http://members.verizon.net/~drfizer/extra/btlc2.jpg

:D

jeff:)

joedoe
06-03-2003, 09:14 PM
Can you post a link to the discussion about the meanings of the various bows? I have always been curious about them.

jmd161
06-03-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by joedoe
Can you post a link to the discussion about the meanings of the various bows? I have always been curious about them.

Here's the link.

Southern Shaolin Salutes (http://www.forumco.com/hungkuennet/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1476&FORUM_ID=8&CAT_ID=1&Topic_Title=southern+shaolin+salutes&Forum_Title=%21%21+Hung+Ga)

jeff:)

Sho
06-04-2003, 01:43 PM
Nice pic. :D

I'd like to know more about the symbolism behind the Shaolin palm hand posture. Does anyone have any information on that? Hung Gar dudes perhaps? (Since it's not a salute posture).

WinterPalm
06-04-2003, 02:00 PM
The hand is a Ku Sau and is used in training the iron bridge.
I believe it symbolizes; "together with ming we will overthrow the ming" Or vice versa on the ming ching thing.:D

I sure hope Colin Powell doesn't practice any souther kung fu cause he's a terrorist and it will make kung fu look bad.

Sho
06-04-2003, 02:37 PM
Does that hand posture also mean Faan Ching, Fuk Ming (Overthrow Qing, Restore Ming)? Because I've always thought it had nothing to do with politics. Just pure Shaolin.

WinterPalm
06-04-2003, 07:55 PM
I'm not very knowledgable in these regards. I just heard it somewhere, however, if you ask my sifu, he posts under Gold Horse Dragon, he will surely know the meaning of the hand.

Marky
06-04-2003, 08:01 PM
That hand position is in the tiger and crane form, in which instance it's called a dragon palm. Probably has a million names, depending on who you ask.

Mr Punch
06-04-2003, 08:03 PM
I call it 'Mary'.