PDA

View Full Version : Correct frame of mind for Chi Gung?

keef321
06-04-2003, 03:31 AM
I have been told that one must keep the eyes open for the Seven Star Mantis Chi Gung, can I close them as I find this more comfortable from my mediation experience.

I was wondering if it is OK to use meditation techniques such as counting / concentrating on the breath eventually just concentrating on the movement whilst practising the chi gung. I`m hoping to practice different sets regularly and gain health & relaxation benefits.

If the above is not the case then what frame of mind should one have. There are only so many hours in the day so would prefer to concentrate on the Chi gung more than the static meditation now.

Any information / advice would be much appreciated.

Stacey
06-04-2003, 04:54 AM
wu wei all the way baby! Wu wei or at least happy or devil may care.

SaMantis
06-04-2003, 06:24 AM
keef321, if your sifu says you must keep your eyes open to do 7* chi kung, then keep 'em open. There's a reason for it. (If your sifu wasn't the one who told you that, then go up and ask him which is better.)

IMO it's OK to use those meditation techniques. It can be hard to clear the mind especially after a busy/stressful day. Count and concentrate on the breath when you start chi gung practice, and after 10-20 minutes as you warm up your body & mind will get more in sync and you'll find that you don't have to concentrate as hard on breathing.

Frame of mind should be relatively calm and alert. If you're very upset/angry, (i.e. can only think about one troublesome thing that happened that day), don't do chi kung. Don't do it if you're extremely tired, either.

mantis108
06-04-2003, 10:50 AM
Welcome to the board. May I ask what is the 7 Stars Mantis Chi Kung that you are referring to and would you care to elaborate?
As far as Chi Kung (Qigong) in Mantis go, 18 Lohan Gong, which I consider as soft and the Pai Da Gong, which I consider as hard are both done with the eyes open in my experience. Please bear in mind that hard and soft are relative. Especially in 18 Lohan the eyes would follow the moves due to the fact that it has practical applictions. The regards or gaze is indicative of the intent of the move when it is applied. Having say that it is best to check with your Sifu for every lineage in Mantis teaches things differently.

Regards

Mantis108

MantisifuFW
06-04-2003, 02:35 PM
keef321

Your sifu should be the one to ask about these issues. However, that said, I shall throw in my $0.02 worth:

Controling the Rational Mind, the Emotional Mind and the Breath are the fundamental requirements of nearly all Qigong. The counting exercise you mention is excellent for this and is used by many schools of Qigong. In fact, you will continue to count the breaths if you do the Luo Han Gong. But once you get to where you can ignore the mental chatter you should most certainly begin with the mental imaging that takes place in most Qigong practice along with your counting.

In fact, it is a lot to keep up with...

Hope it helps,
Steve Cottrell

keef321
06-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Thankx 4 your replies, yes I will ask my sifu when he comes back from his holiday the question too.

It is the 18 Lohan Gong that I do through the linage of Lee Kam Wing.

Mantis 108 you regard the 18 Lohan as Soft which I can appreciate, I dont think though I have come across Pai Da Gong, what is this?

Steve, its great that the meditation techniques are applied within the Chi Gung, as you state I will ask my sifu further questions, I am not aware of the mental imaging technique you mention unless it is were one just concentrates on the breath (not the counting)

Nice to speak to you all and thank you.

TaiChiBob
06-05-2003, 05:03 AM
Greetings..

Mental imaging (imagining) is another distraction from the task at hand.. quieting the mental chatter is one step toward the goal of being "in the present moment".. imaging engages the mind away from the actual experience unfolding.. imaging has its place when conjuring combat scenarios and conceiving tactics, it has its place prior to QiGong practice to map-out the practice.. but, the practice is doing, not imaging (imagining).. No mental chatter, no imaging, no "thought" puts us present, directly in sync with the experience as it happens.. one ceases to "respond" to the experience and becomes the experience.. this is the warrior state of mind..

Just another perspective.. Be well..

keef321
06-05-2003, 05:21 AM
Thank you TaiChiBob for your thoughts.

Yes when I was taught meditation (went to a buddist centre to learn it) they expalined the mind as a chattering monkey which is a good way of expresing it .

So "Imaging" as you call it is the part of the meditation when one becomes one with the practice in question but paradoxily when one realises this, one is not one with the practice in question anymore because the monkey has started to chatter again :-)

It looks like my question has been answered and I look forward to putting my meditation experience into my chi gung practice.

Cheers all!