PDA

View Full Version : Southern forms 5 southern Family Forms(Fu Mei Darn dao- Tigers Tail Braodsword form)

SiHingJow
06-04-2003, 07:08 PM
How many other Southern kungfu Systems have this Form or a form like it. Does anyone know of any websites were southern forms can be downloaded?????????

CLFNole
06-04-2003, 08:12 PM
Choy Lay Fut has it.

Don't know of a website you can download it on though.

Good luck.

ZhouJiaQuan
06-04-2003, 11:09 PM
hmm clf has it eh.

jow - there was a webstie online with some of ron wheeler doing forms one broadsword one - changed around a bit though from what we know. ill try to find it. had a student of sifu wong(hies neice maybe) doing a nice small tiger. ill try to find it again.

peace
did you finish gawk jeet(or however you spell it) yet?

David Jamieson
06-05-2003, 05:23 AM
i have -

Black Tigers Tail Staff form and Broadsword form from my Hakfu sifu.

The staff set is short, the broadsword set is long. The flow of the broadsword set is interesting and it uses a lot of wraps and directional changes.

cheers

Nevermind
06-05-2003, 06:44 AM
I recently learned a set called Tiger Tail Broadsword. It also features lots of wraps and directional changes. It contains a lot of brief pauses in a cat stance with the empty hand formed into a kiu sao (one finger salute). I wonder if we're talking about the same set. It definitely looks southern but I wasn't sure whether or not it was from Hung Gar which is our core curriculm.

TenTigers
06-05-2003, 03:52 PM
we also do Fu Mei Dahn-Dao, although some schools call it by other names. I asked Bow Sim Mark if the form in her book was fu-mei dahn-dao, and she said that is one of the names she has heard. It is the most popular set in China, along with Pek War Dao.

dc_jowga
06-06-2003, 05:15 AM
fu mei dan do is a common name for broadsword forms in southern styles. i dont know if jow ga got the name from another style or not.

in my school we offer three broadsword forms, and fu mei is the second one.

gawk jeet chune, square pattern form. it was the last empty hands form i learned in jow ga, since almost everybody older than me forgot it. :)

ZhouJiaQuan
06-06-2003, 10:31 AM
jow-
here are the vids of some southern(maybe i showed them to you before?)

http://www.uswushuteam.com/misc/2001_summer_bash/videos/index.html

there is a broadsword form done by who i think is ron wheeler(?)

dc, (if you watch the vids)
- is this one of the forms you teach?

gawk jeet is an easy form to forget

train hard,
Walter

dc_jowga
06-06-2003, 06:32 PM
wow, i like that site. the person doing small tiger is li ling li, raymond wong's niece. and guess what i taught it to her when she was 4 years old. that was when raymond first opend wong chinese boxing association, and i was a first year student in university of maryland.

ron wheeler is doing fu mei darn do, and chai jong chune, advance attacking fist. i showed him darn do, and chris henderson taught him chai jong.

i think one of the people doing the staff vs staff is troy williams, who is my si hing. he is now taking over deric mims' school in langley park maryland.

is that a jow ga student doing the praying mantis form?

ZhouJiaQuan
06-06-2003, 09:29 PM
i figured it was sifu wongs niece. good form, i guess doing it since 4yrs old, that would be expected.

wheelers form looks like chai jong and siu hung combined. starts like siu hung kuen, but goes into chai jong(?)

his fu mei is a bit spiced up i think? i know all the same techniques, save for the rolling on the ground and the little "wushu figure 8 behind the back" right at the end (i learned that one by messing around, not in the form), but sequence is different.

plus i wonder how light his sword was....

mayber lighter then yours jow :p :D haha even the kids sword was heavier then yours ;)

i don't think that was any mantis form from our style but maybe, and i didn't realise those were jow ga guys doing the staff two man.

take care

dc_jowga
06-06-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by ZhouJiaQuan
i figured it was sifu wongs niece. good form, i guess doing it since 4yrs old, that would be expected.

wheelers form looks like chai jong and siu hung combined. starts like siu hung kuen, but goes into chai jong(?)

his fu mei is a bit spiced up i think? i know all the same techniques, save for the rolling on the ground and the little "wushu figure 8 behind the back" right at the end (i learned that one by messing around, not in the form), but sequence is different.

plus i wonder how light his sword was....

mayber lighter then yours jow :p :D haha even the kids sword was heavier then yours ;)

i don't think that was any mantis form from our style but maybe, and i didn't realise those were jow ga guys doing the staff two man.

take care

the beginning of siu hung chune is almost the same as chai jong. small hung fist just has more similarity to faa chune. but ron did get the moves mixed up. i am not sure if he changed the form for himself, or if he "warlocked" the form.

i didnt look at the whole video clips until now, and i didnt notice that ron changed the broadsword. actually everything was almost the same, until he did the roll. but the "behind the back" technique was always in the form.

yeah the staff vs staff is the jow ga form, but that one was changed a little bit to. i really dont like to see a form changed for competition, unless you are leaving out a section so it cant be copied. when sifu chin was alive, he would tell us to leave out a section for demonstration, and ron did that with his videos also. example, the only time i ever did the whole five animals form in public was once for chan man chueng when his son graduated from college. but every time i do it, even now, i leave out the leopard and snake sections.

about light swords, i am never impressed when somebody is using a light weapons, even if they are doing a northern style form. when students go to competition, and they do complete traditional, with no light weapons, its always good to offer your weapon to the judges for inspection before you start. a knowledgeable judge will see that you have real skill if you can usd your heavy weapons as better than the guys with light ones.

one year, in dennis brown's tournament, two of jow ga students beat keith "cooke" (formerly known as keith hirabayashi) and cynthia rothrock in chinese style traditional black belt forms. the winner first place, was sean colvin, son of "kung fu joe" colvin, also a jow ga teacher, but his son performed a hung gar form. it was good, to see real traditional beat "competition made up". of course that was before nacmaf and uskfwsa

ZhouJiaQuan
06-07-2003, 04:04 PM
to think of it there is a behind the back move near the end of the sword form, however the way ron wheeler did in the form looks different then the way i was taught. he seems to be doing a quick flick(wushu does it alot), the way i learned was the sword stays there while kicking not a quick flick behind the back.

i dont think ive ever done a full form for demo, well maybe only sei ping keun and siu fuk fu. but other then that i leave out parts, and certian forms no matter how much is left out are not to be done at tournaments.

yes ive seen kung fu joe at some events around, he likes to do what i think is the iron wire set(im not too familiar with hung gar sets). too bad he left jow ga.

im not a huge fan of light swords, the only ones i like are lung chuan swords, just a bit lighter and better balance imo, but i dont own one, so i just use my regular sword. wheeler seemed to be using a wushu sword, it looked like it would have bent under its own weight.

i noticed wheeler does his mo ying gerk very hung ga style, is this how you do it?

i would imagine master chan man cheung son would be very good at jow ga, did you ever see him do anything?

thanks, train hard

dc_jowga
06-07-2003, 06:00 PM
chan man cheung is awesome, and i say this not because he is my si gung, but i have seen him and other kung fu masters in his age group, and he stayed very healthy and fit. his lion dance is the best i have seen any young man do it also, its very lifelike.

i have a tape of him demonstrating in malaysia. if you send me your address, i will mail a copy to you. also, jow lung bo, who is jow biu's grandson is there too, and he is doing double whips.

ZhouJiaQuan
06-08-2003, 06:30 PM
hi, thank you for the offer, that is very kind. i will email you my info.

much thanks,
Walter :D