PDA

View Full Version : Training Weapons

krome
10-17-2001, 04:30 PM
I'm not just trolling here, this is something I have been trying to understand.

In todays modern world why do people still train weapons? You can't carry a weapon on the street, this isn't fuedal Japan or accient China. I can understand if you trained weapons for fun but there is no other reason to train any of the old weapons. The only weapons I can see a person training for self defense is a gun or a small knife. Other than that people should only be training how to defend themselves against someone who has a weapon.

Now for the personal questions.
Does your style train weapons?
Do you see any (street) applications for the weapons your art trains?
Do you think your art should just train you to defend against weapons?

Use what works not what looks pretty.

Kumkuat
10-17-2001, 04:39 PM
> Does your style train weapons?

yes

> Do you see any (street) applications for the
> weapons your art trains?

yes.

> Do you think your art should just train you to
> defend against weapons?

no

Ish
10-17-2001, 04:39 PM
I train in a few weapons, they are Knife, 6' staff and single/double sticks. I agree with you a bit as in i don't carry my staff with me but it is very difficult to try and defend against something you don't understand. I also think that if you are trained in using weapons you find it a lot easier to improvise. If you get into a fight while playing pool you've got yourself a staff. There are sticks and stick like objects all over the place outside, so although you might not want to carry a weapon its usually quite easy to find something to use.

LEGEND
10-17-2001, 04:43 PM
Does your style train weapons? No.
Do you see any (street) applications for the weapons your art trains? No.
Do you think your art should just train you to defend against weapons? No.

Dood...best weapon is your body...once again u stated that it's illegal for u to carry weapons which case is true...however EYE GOUGE the hell out of your opponent is a good weapon!

A

Badger
10-17-2001, 04:44 PM
I agree with you but it is all a matter of personal preference.People can train whatever they want.
Learning to use stick-type weapons are really good since there are lots of things available that can be used in the same way including a"stick".

;)

Badger

The Machado Philosophy:
We respect everyone and every style of martial arts.We share what we know and are open to new ideas.Martial arts is not about
fighting,but about lifestyle.Harmony is our g oal,hard training is our way..ê`

Badger
10-17-2001, 04:46 PM
Wow! -Ish pretty much said what I did. :)

Badger

¨

The Machado Philosophy:
We respect everyone and every style of martial arts.We share what we know and are open to new ideas.Martial arts is not about
fighting,but about lifestyle.Harmony is our g oal,hard training is our way..ê`

shaolinboxer
10-17-2001, 04:47 PM
Many martial arts were developed with weapons in mind...as a defense against them, tactic on how to use them...etc.

To understand the arts, and their development, sometimes it is necessary to study these weapons.

For example, I study Aikido, but I also study Muso Ryu Jodo and Yagyu Shinkage Ryu Bokkendo. All of the techinques in aikido can be found in the sword and stick play.

"She ain't got no muscles in her teeth."
- Cat

Silumkid
10-17-2001, 04:50 PM
There are several reasons to train weapons. One has been presented here already...how can you defend it if you don't understand it? Knowing how to use a weapon can give you greater understanding of someone else may be able to use it, where the weapon's "sweet spot" is. Knowing this can help you minimize or avoid taking damage from it. Weapons training is also a form of weight training, especially if you train with a heavy broadsword, monk's spade...

Besides, isn't training weapons defense weapons training? Someone has to know how to use it to train defense, right? Or does someone just throw a weapon on the floor and say "Defend against that!"

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

wu_de36
10-17-2001, 04:50 PM
People think the Japanese concept of metsubushi (method of blinding attackers)is dead or outmoded. Who carries little vials of blinding powders or smoke bombs? Metsubushi concepts can be used when learning how to use pepper spray against an attacker.

I train weapons for several reasons:

The first, and most persuasive, is that I find weapons, and their uses, fascinating.

The second is that they are good for physical conditioning. They improve grip and wrsit strength and improve dexterity and co-ordination. Do 30 minutes of nunchaku or sai and tell me how your hands feel.

The third is the conceptual knowledge I gain from training weapons that I can carry over to other improvised weapons. There are staffs and short sticks everywhere. Even more prevalent are flails and whips.

Improvised weapons are what a lot of Japanese weapons essentially are. People in power try to regulate the most efficient weapons. When that happens, people come up with new ways to defend themselves. I don't know my Chinese weapons history, but I'd guess that some of these weapons have similar backgrounds.

Modern day weapons such as the knife and handgun are important, but the walking stick and the cane will always get through the metal detector.

Ish
10-17-2001, 05:18 PM
"Dood...best weapon is your body...once again u stated that it's illegal for u to carry weapons which case is true...however EYE GOUGE the hell out of your opponent is a good weapon!"

Are you trying to say that eye gougeing the hell out of someones eye is legal. where do you live cos i don't want to go there.

Chang Style Novice
10-17-2001, 05:21 PM
I was gonna say something, but I think it's pretty well covered. So, I'll just recap -

1 - Strength and dexterity

2 - To defend oneself from armed attackers

3 - To be more effective with improvised weapons in the case of (2)

4 - For fun and historical value

All perfectly valid, I'd say.

wu_de36
10-17-2001, 05:23 PM
If it will save my life, or my loved one's, I'm not going to care if it's legal or not. I'll do it. I may try other options first, but if I'm about to die, I'm not going to say "Ohh, that was a good opening for an eye gouge. Too bad it's illegal. Maybe if my wife survives, she could write our congressman and try to get it legalized."

But then, all those lawful minded criminals who've been avoiding the illegal eye gouge would have carte blanche to eye gouge people at will.

WON'T SOMEONE PLEEEEAAAASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN????

KC Elbows
10-17-2001, 05:28 PM
Using that argument, then you're better off training double sword, as if you're defending your home, you're not gonna say "I could have fought the attackers off if only my swords were legal". If someone breaks in my house and all I have to use is a quan dao, well hey, things are about to get chopped off, and I'll deal with the lawyers later.

Shaolin36
10-17-2001, 05:37 PM
Yes, my art trains weapons

Yes, I think there is a practicality.
I think the chain whip is practical, it fits in you pocket. Also, as we all know the staff is very practical- If your fighting and there is any type of broom, mop or anythiing like that-well then, you have a staff.

Shaolin

Buby
10-17-2001, 05:48 PM
Does your style train weapons? YES

Do you see any (street) applications for the weapons your art trains? Yes

Do you think your art should just train you to defend against weapons? No

I train in a traditional southern kung fu system and we have a couple of weapons which we train. It's understood from day one that you are not going to walk down the street with staff or kwan dao, but the weapons are still train anyway.

Why? Simple...They develop strength, speed, stamina, and cordination. Certain weapon forms train specific parts of the body, like the wrist, shoulders and etc. Sure I can lift weights for strength, but I prefer the traditional methods.
Plus, I'm helping to keep the Yau Kung Mun tradition alive. I guess traditional methods are my cup of tea, but to each his/her own.

Bub

EARTH DRAGON
10-17-2001, 05:54 PM
Again like some people have said, its not about learning weapons to defend yourself, but learning weapons to beome well rounded in your art.
Some techniques in any art are definatly outdated, like defending from a horse riding attacker, but this does not mean that just becuse you think that you will never use that certain technique it can be eliminated from your style. Nor should weapons for they are just extentions of the hands and expantions of the mind.

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

JWTAYLOR
10-17-2001, 05:55 PM
Theres another big reason.

Angles and zones. Weapons practice, and weapons sparring in particular, give you a whole new respect and understanding for appropriate ranges, "zones of sancutary" (places you aren't likely to get smacked) and angles of attack and defense.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Stumblefist
10-17-2001, 06:07 PM
My Southern sifu advised us to that we could carry a broad sword in a duffel bag. He's from old Hong Kong, i think they do that a lot there, especially the triads attack with broadswords.
---
Also read the sword defence thread for some news.
---
Everybody forgot about nunchukas? Carry them in the small of your back, easy to conceal, not illegeal in Asia. even mainland china, i met people carrying them.
"This is the end
My only friend, the end
It hurts to set you free
But you'll never follow me"

Taijimantis
10-17-2001, 06:17 PM
I disagree. The best weapon is whats between your ears. Thats why human beings are at the top of the food chain.

Unless you can wrestle a grizzly bear...

JWTAYLOR
10-17-2001, 06:21 PM
Well, I can, but I have to admit, I spend allot of time in the guard.
JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

krome
10-17-2001, 10:07 PM
Thank you all for posting.

I see all of your pionts and I would have to say
my views are more in line with legend than anyone else's. My reasoning is for the simple fact that I can never count on a weapon being there, but I can always count on myself.

I find that weapons don't really build up the strength I want, so I choose to do body wieght excises and wieght lifting.

I also believe that most people who attack people in the streets with a weapon aren't skilled weapon fighters. So there is no need to been an expert of set weapons to know how to defend yourself against set weapons. I do believe you need to know the common attacks and angles the attacks can come from with set weapons.

These are just my beliefs. If you are happy training weapon, don't stop.
And please keep the opinions coming.

Use what works not what looks pretty.

Dragon Warrior
10-17-2001, 11:20 PM
weapons are awesome, and art definetely good for training. But if you're not interested in them, they are not neccassary. They are just an extra tool in the martial arts to improve skill. There is no reason not to learn weapons though, it will only help your training.

For years, religion did nothing but divide. (killa priest)

Religion is like a prison for the seekers of wisdom. (killa priest)

soy
10-17-2001, 11:24 PM
Nothing else I can think of gives you the workout a two sword form gives you. Plus it looks cool.

Ish
10-18-2001, 01:32 AM
What type of weapons does every one use?

People who do

dedalus
10-18-2001, 08:01 AM
What I've got to say has probably been covered in bits and pieces, but since I've already written it out, I guess I might as well stick it up ;-)

The "why bother" question has occurred to me frequently, and I've come up with two main (and closely related) justifications for training traditional weapons.

1) They add to one's understanding of the empty-hand syllabus, especially if studying an art based on concepts rather than techniques (like bagua, in my case). Some kali/silat folks even *begin* with weapons, but all of the masters I've met have insisted that it remains an empty hand art in essence.

2) By studying weaponry personally, one gains an appreciation of how others might use those or similar weapons in an attack. I can't seem to put that more eloquently just now, but the gist is that you're better prepared to defend against a weapon when you know what its characteristics are, and where the (generic) weak points in its use are.

It is also well worth keeping in mind something that others have said - you don't need to carry around a sword or 6 foot pole to orchestrate your defense... in a pinch you might be able to grab a stick or an umbrella or anything really, and so much the better if you know how to use it.

Taoist Disciple
10-18-2001, 09:19 AM
I train in single broadsword, double broadsword, staff, and spear.

Weapons are a massive benefit to my general training.

Seek naturalness. Act without forcing.

KC Elbows
02-11-2002, 12:55 PM
Anyone have any interesting/entertaining/enlightening stories they could share regarding their weapons training experience? Not just kung fu weapons, weapons training in general.

My old teacher loved sword, and about the only time he smiled was when he would jump back and tap his partner in the head while they were trying to execute more flamboyant manuevers. The he'd say "You should try to protect your head," knowing full well that his partner was thinking the same thing.

yenhoi
02-11-2002, 01:05 PM
I train nunchaku and recently 3 section staff. I have some not-so-funny storys....

:D

norther practitioner
02-11-2002, 01:20 PM
In got cut by a broadsword, I guess that could be funny, well except the hospital bill, that wasn't too funny.

shaolinboxer
02-11-2002, 01:26 PM
Here's one:

I was training in short stick fighting and lost my grip...the stick went flying towards the beatiful and expensive floor to ceiling windows...infront of the windows was a stretching bar with two levels...the stick flew inbetween the two rails and CLANGIDYCLANG bounced around and right back out at me, missing the windows entirely. That was a lucky day :).

Sam Wiley
02-11-2002, 01:43 PM
I learned the hard way why you keep track of exactly where the blades are in the Twin Dragon sword form from Bagua, when I nearly cut off the pinkie finger on my right hand. The blade went right into the bone, man. I held up my hand palm out with the fingers straight, after prying the blade out of the bone, to see how bad the damage was, and said, "hmmm, that doesn't look bad at all." Then I turned my palm toward me and curled my fingers into a loose fist so I could look a little closer, and blood came gushing out all over the place. My natural reaction when I cut my finger and it bleeds is to put it in my mouth, which I did. The drawback to this, I instantly found out, is that the taste of copious amounts of blood makes fruitarians very very sick. Strangely enough, shortly after that incident, I started to get cravings for red meat. F*cked up, but true.

Aramus
02-11-2002, 01:45 PM
Don't cut yourself with a sword or bladed weapon:D

When using weapons in drills, try not to hit your partner's fingers (man that hurts...fortunately my partner got to feel that too :D )

Most the time the dangerous part is pointed towards the attacker (not always, however).

Never train in enclosed places or near lots of glass when you first start...bad things man.

A friend held up a gun towards me and then pulled it away. He asked me if I knew or not if the safety was on. I didn't and had to sit down and learn exactly how to tell, how to see if the gun is loaded (including the chamber, etc.), what to look for, etiquette in holding a gun, giving it to another person, etc. before handling the actual gun. I actually thought this was a good idea. Guns are very dangerous...especially when loaded.

jesper
02-11-2002, 01:50 PM
I was doing an exibition on ancient viking weapons with a couple of friends.

Well doing this show we were 11 guys standing opposit each other doing some mock fighting, when suddenly the person opposit me did an unexpected downward chop with his axe. I stepped back and instantantly pinned his axe to the ground using my own two-handed axe.
Well he then tried to lift his axe and I did a rolling/scooping movement which lifted his axe way up. Unfortunatly he then couldnt hold on so the axe kept going up and up into the air.
The first split second we all froze, and then like on cue we ran in opposit directions :).
Well We all managed to get out of the way, and being true showmen, we pretended it was rehearsed :) and got right back to fighting.

Need I say that the crowd loved it.

premier
02-11-2002, 02:35 PM
Most of the anecdotes are from the time we were practising spear vs. double broadswords form. Once there was really limited space and there were a lot of us practising. I was operating the spear and the form has some spear spinning movements, so I managed to hit my classmate to the head... twice... Another incident was when doing these spear thrusting movements. My partner should have blocked these, but he froze and I thrusted the spear right in the middle of his forehead. Luckily, the spear was only a staff, I hit him in the middle instead of the eyes, and I managed to stop the movement shortly after the impact so it didn't follow throught. There was a nice red dot on his forehead after that. At least I hit him exactly where I intended to ;)

This other thing happened just last week. I was practising my broadsword form after a long break and got a bit carried away. As I was doing this section where I was supposed to kind of jump forward and slice my imaginary opponent, I accidentally hit the sword right in the middle of my knee cap. Luckily, the sword wasn't sharpened, but still it was metal and heavy and I was going pretty fast, so it hurt like hell. Well. the knee cap wasn't split or anything. Just a red scratch and sore knee.

premier

Ray Pina
02-11-2002, 02:39 PM
When I was a kid, like 8 or 9, I was practicing with foam rubber nunchucks -- blindfolded, don;t ask me why, my teacher never suggested it -- and my brother snuck up behind me.

He, my mother and myself all went to the hospital to stich him up, cracked his head wide open, even with the foam.

Then, about two years ago, I got a Kris Cutlery broad sword (I was still training Hung Gar at the time). A senior wanted to see it and I warned him that it was sharp.

Pulling it out of the scabbard he immeditaely ran his thumb down the blade and sliced it wide open. I don't understand what part of, "Be careful, its sharp", he didn't understand.

I still don't know how to use that weapon properly for I broke off the training to focus on Hand to Hand with my S. Mantis teacher at the time, and am now married to the internal.

My master teaches the two handed sword (time to get a katana) and what little I have seen of it, I prefer the leverage.

Budokan
02-11-2002, 06:25 PM
I knocked the dog-f*ck out of myself with nunchakus once...

Rapped my friggin' head almost wide open with a bo once...

Got my feet tied up and hit the fuggin' floor while trying to jump rope once....

Haven't hurt myself with tonfas yet...but it's only a matter of time.

red_fists
02-11-2002, 06:35 PM
Funny story about related to a Friend.

He decided Rope-Nun-chaku was for loosers and decided to make his own using Chain and swivel mounts.

So one day he comes up and asks me to try his new set out.

So I gave them a twirl or two, and they worked well.
Now it was time to up to try the real moves and I go for it.
Next I know he is lying on the Ground holding his "nether region" and groaning.

The Chain had snapped and one half of the nun-chaku went straight onto his manhood.

Lesson learned: Weld the links shut on the Chain.

Sam Wiley
02-11-2002, 08:21 PM
I'm sorry guys. I know some of these stories are just not to be laughed at, but I just have to at some of them, like the one about the nunchucks where the end came off. Priceless. And the one about the guy who ran his finger down the blade to see if it was sharp. A sure sign of a rocket scientist.

Of course, this is coming from a guy who nearly lost a finger to a sword, but I guess it takes one to know one, right?:p

Chinwoo-er
02-12-2002, 08:04 AM
(1) We were organising a performance a last year with an event of a form sparring between a spear and a zhanmadao. After a few moves, the spear head broke off and flew offstage ( not at the audience thankfully ). The performers just kept at it. Except now, it was just zhanmadao vs staff-used-like-a-spear.

(2) Just routine training with spears and I was watching with some new-comers. One of them asked me, "those spear heads are made from iron and not steel. That means that are not as powerful. Why don't use steel ones and sharpen them so we get the real feel of the weapon? " Only seconds after he said this, the form had required a "launching" move of the spear. My Sihing missed his mark and wasn't able to catch it. The Spear went right through a plastic chair in the direction of it's lauch.

I simple gave him that look.

(3) A novice went for the three-section-staff. Trained it evey time. Every training, he would hit his head twice. No more, no less. We are starting the consider if the weapon is pocessed.

(4) Gwan Dao training. A sihing was going at it with the rest of us watching. Dunno what happened. THe sihing made a turn and was about to make a cut forward. But as he lifted his weapon off from behind, it just barely missed the face of another person by millimetres.

(5) I don't know if this qualifys as being a funny story, just a stupid thing one of us played. He strapped on every friggin weapon he was able to get his hands on. I can't remember all of them. But there was exactly 18 weapons on him. The image of that was just so funny. It was a shame none of us had a camera then.

I am certain there will be plenty more for the years to come

red5angel
02-10-2003, 10:52 AM
anyone here do any realistic weapons training in their art? What I mean is, are any of the weapons you train in something that might be of use in the real world?
For instance, a karate freind of mine trains often in the Bo, but he uses a brook stick. His theory is that you can find broom, mops, other things of comparable size just about anywhere.
How about carrying weapons you train?

Oso
02-10-2003, 11:15 AM
I broke tradition with my sifu a little bit by holding off staff
forms for a little while and concentrating on our single stick
forms and applications vs. empty hand and knife.

The idea being that you can find something approximating a
short stick a little more readily than a staff.

Although I feel that a stick is a stick is a stick to an extent.

My short sticks are always in my car as well as my nunchaku.
And usually a couple of knives.

I have gone through phases where I attempted to carry
different things concealed about me but don't anymore.

I always wear a belt. 1 1/2" wide and thick leather with a heavy
buckle. If you know nunchaku/chain/rope you can convert those
techniques to a belt. Usefull against a knife especially.

MightyB
02-10-2003, 11:19 AM
Collapsable baton...

Translates to any sword or short stick training that you have. Practical, portable, and awesome.

---

Red5, you had the most realistic weapons martial arts training there is: The USMC.

yenhoi
02-10-2003, 12:27 PM
Sticks and knives.

:(

red5angel
02-10-2003, 12:31 PM
MighyB - "Red5, you had the most realistic weapons martial arts training there is: The USMC."

Like one of my instructors like to say, there is nothing like a little CQB to wake you up in the morning!

I am starting to learn singl eand ouble stick in Kali class and am thinking the stick I keep by my bed might be just a little more dangerous for it! Not sure if I would carry muc more then an extra pair of sticks in my car though, partially for self defense, partially in case I forget to grab mine for class!

yenhoi
02-10-2003, 12:41 PM
I usually wear a belt. Sometimes I carry a Collapsable baton. Nunchaku are easy to conceal on yourself, specially in cold weather. At work I usually have a knife on me, so sometimes I have it between work and home etc. I also carry a "tire check" around at work, 1stly to check tires, 2ndly to deal with any bums, winos, indians, drunk indians, mexicans, drunk mexicans that might get in my way in the morning.

:eek:

Black Jack
02-10-2003, 12:57 PM
Firearms,
Sticks,
Knifes,

I would like to get some oc spray tactical training.

rogue
02-10-2003, 01:54 PM
I've cut down on my weapons(stick & knife) training over the last year. I had one client that took a very dim view of any knife coming into the building. I also don't do excessive stick training for self defense as the **** things are hard to find when you need them, and as my sensei has said, "if you're looking for a stick you aint looking at your opponent".
I do carry a pocket knife of the Swiss variety, and sometimes a Dan Bong(short stick) that I just love. In the car I have a short piece of re-bar that's a load of fun, and of course the ever present kids baseball bats (wood and aluminum), kids baseball mitts and sevearl t-balls.
The weapon that I carry the most is still my good old umbrella. Never have been stopped for carrying it, can be in my hand when I want it and I can bring it on the plane.

Kinjit
02-10-2003, 01:57 PM
Dont forget the aluminium flute ;)

Ajax
02-10-2003, 02:26 PM
I've always thought whip chain would be a perfect self-defense weapon to train as an alternative to a knife: light and compact enough to carry on your person and with better range than a knife. But my studio doesn't train whip chain, even to advanced students. I doubt you can develop any real skill without an instructor, otherwise I'd buy one myself.

Kinjit
02-10-2003, 04:57 PM
How long are whip chains usually? I have a keychain thats about as long as my forearm with a small weight on it,.. Actually using it on someone, well I guess it's pretty much a last resort kind of thing. For one I'm not sure of its stopping power,..It could probably mutilate someone without too much trouble - take an eye out, tear chunks out of his face... If you dont crack his skull, imagine disfiguring someone for life. That's some tough sh!t to deal with. Well, unless he did something horrible to deserve it. Oh, sorry for rambling. But these are important issues concering self-defence, esp. with weapons.

joedoe
02-10-2003, 05:23 PM
Short stick
Beggar's stick (length of a broom handle)
Garden rake (seriously)
Maglite :D

Watchman
02-10-2003, 06:58 PM
Black Jack:

OC Spray tactical training is actually pretty simple to come by. Contact your local Sheriff's dept and ask to participate in their next training cycle when their staff comes up for certification/recertification.

Barring that, you can see if any of the local pawn shop owners in your area offer OC Spray training. In my area, you can walk into a pawn shop and get OC Spray certified and your concealed carry permit with your equipment/firearm purchase. Now that's service!

I think getting your training through the Sheriff's dept is the route to go, if only for the simple fact that you're getting trained by a bunch of people who use OC Spray on inmates every day.

Laughing Cow
02-10-2003, 07:12 PM
I found the "Manriki Kusari" a nice weapon to cary in the street.

Easy to conceal and does some nasty damage.

Manriki Kusari (Ten-thousand strength chain) == weighted chain.

Ajax
02-11-2003, 12:51 AM
Kinjit, whip chains are usually between 4 and 5 feet long. I don't know how effective they are in a confined space like in a bar or up against a building... the ninja manriki chain (about 2 feet long) would prolly be a little more practical for close encounters. But the manriki chain has weighted ends and looks pretty brutal; I don't know if I could bring myself to actually hit someone with a weapon like that, for fear it would kill him. Same reason I don't think I'd ever want to use a knife, except as a bluff. Four feet of whistling steel can be pretty intimidating too, but it seems like you should be able to use a light chain with an appropriate level of devastation to your attacker, whereas it's pretty hard to "gently" stab or shoot a guy :eek:

dwid
02-11-2003, 05:07 AM
quote: "Same reason I don't think I'd ever want to use a knife, except as a bluff. "

Just for the record, you should never carry any weapon you intend to use only as a "bluff." Sooner or later someone will call your bluff and if someone brandished a knife at me as a bluff, he may well find one of my non-bluff knives causing him injury. Using a weapon to bluff someone has the exact opposite of its intended effect. It tends to escalate the conflict instead of de-escalate. Not to mention, if there are any witnesses around, you brandishing a knife, bluff or not, to an unarmed attacker could quickly land you in jail.

This isn't intended to single you out or anything. It's just a pet peeve of mine. Never carry any weapon you don't intend to use.

shaolin kungfu
02-11-2003, 05:27 AM
For carrying on the street i'd have to say a knife or collapsable baton. Something that can be easily concealed. I can see sabre techniques being done with the baton or stick.

Oso
02-11-2003, 05:33 AM
If your school/sifu doesn't cover the subject of
"improvised and available" weapons then try seeking
out a seminar on the subject.

I agree you shouldn't carry a weapon you don't intend on
actually using.

But using a weapon you are carrying, especially an exotic
weapon, could look bad from a legal perspective.

Having a good awareness of what everyday items can be
quickly utilized to good effect allows you to use your hth skills
as a first level of defense but gives you options if the situation
escalates.

The legal system just sucks.

Yesterday at the Gym I teach at:

A female employee was assaulted by a gym member. She was
struck in the head from behind by another female who continued
the assault. A male employee (who is also an instructor in the
'picks' that are used to controll mentally handicapped/children)
grabbed that assaulting female and controlled her w/o striking
her. The last I heard the assaulting female is pressing assault
charges against the male employee who subdued her. I know
this probably won't go to court much less result in a conviction
but just the fact that the person committing an assault has the
option of pressing charges against someone who subdued her
is galling.

Black Jack
02-11-2003, 01:30 PM
Watchman,

I should get some of the dust out of my noodle, one of the gentleman who I go shooting with at J.R. Shooting Sports, my finance's uncle, is a Dupage County Sheriff.

Jeesh, talk about common sense.

Oh, you live in one of those states that respect and understand the 2nd admendment, here there is no ccw, you can own firearms, but a civilian can not get a ccw, in Chicago alone you can not even own a handgun, though that does not prevent the criminals from using them.

Ajax
02-11-2003, 04:58 PM
dwid: true, but the assumption is that you're only going to pull the weapon in dire need. If you can pull out something bigger or nastier than what some thug has just pulled on you, then he might think twice about trying to attack you. That being said, I've only ever been mugged once, and that was by some doped-up junkie in the woods in Zurich. I gave him ten francs when he pulled a dirty hypodermic needle on me. Nowadays I'd just kick the dumb ******* in the chest and go on my way. If I lived in L.A. or something maybe I'd be a little more serious about carrying a weapon.

shaolin kungfu
02-11-2003, 05:47 PM
Does anyone here do knife sparring? With rubber knives of course.

apoweyn
02-12-2003, 06:42 AM
yep

txwingchun
02-12-2003, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by shaolin kungfu
Does anyone here do knife sparring? With rubber knives of course.

**** that's what I've been doing wrong train with rubber knives. I wish I had thought of that earlier and about about 3 training partners ago.

Mr Punch
02-12-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by rogue
I also don't do excessive stick training for self defense as the **** things are hard to find when you need them, and as my sensei has said, "if you're looking for a stick you aint looking at your opponent".

True. But we did a lot of quite effective training with things like rolled up glossy magazines (Fighting Arts International was a fave weapon of mine). If you got it tight enough it could deliver a nasty shock, or if thrust, it could cut or cause serious bruising and tearing.

Also used umbrellas, but don't want to sound like Steed...!:D

Rubber knives are good. Had a lot of training with wooden knives (tanbo) but these hurt too much when your friendly opponent is playing like a psycho. One guy we had would just jump on us and stab us wherever he could.:eek: Hurt :D !

Also had the rare chance during one of my aiki demos to my karate school, showing rather too well why I thought an angled block with a stick is better than a straight one... and the follow up of what to do when suddenly your one seemingly solid long bo becomes two dangerously splintered truncheons!

yenhoi
02-12-2003, 08:23 AM
www.fightingarts.com has a article that shows you how to make a maxim magazine into a sharp object by just folding it twice! For defending yourself vs arabic terrorists on an airplane of course. Co-workers enjoy this trick also!

:eek:

Dave Fulton
04-01-2003, 08:36 AM
Hi,

I am looking for someone in Maryland (Frederick or Montgomery Counties would be ideal, but not required) who can teach me some TCMA weapons.

I am interested in: Spear, Staff, 3-Section Staff.

I am interested in developing fighting skills, not winning tournaments.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Respectfully,

Dave Fulton

apoweyn
04-01-2003, 09:06 AM
Well, if you want to expand that search to include filipino weapon systems, I'd be able to help you. Otherwise, there are probably better resources than me here.

Stuart B.

apoweyn
04-01-2003, 09:09 AM
Out of curiosity, though, you want to develop real fighting skills with the spear and three-section staff? To what end?

(I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm just curious.)

Stuart B.

Dave Fulton
04-01-2003, 09:39 AM
Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the replies!

I am a student of the Filipino Martial Arts and certainly would welcome information from other FMA sources as well.

I have learned a little bit of FMA staff, but I wanted to expand what I know and a lot of the TCMA spear & staff methodology that I have seen seems closely related to my FMA staff, so I thought that TCMA might be a good place to start. I also know a very little bit of 3-Section Staff that my guro says he learned from TCMA long ago.

My motivations are somewhat academic ... and yet not ... ;) I train with a FMA group in Frederick and we do a lot of full-contact weapons sparring ... think Dog Brothers®. I want to expand my repertoire in certain areas, so as to bring a little something "new" to the table.

Respectfully,

Dave Fulton

apoweyn
04-01-2003, 09:59 AM
Dave,

Wow. I'm glad I asked then. I can completely understand wanting to explore it for academic reasons. I actually fenced in college for the same reason (because of the european fencing influence on FMA). And I agree with you about the chinese influence on FMA too.

Interesting.

After all that, I'm wishing I could be a little more useful to you. For FMA, there's Mike Krivka in Gaithersburg (JKD Concepts teacher). But if you've already got a group in Frederick, that probably doesn't help you much.

As for the longstaff, I hear ya. I suck with it. (Our teacher referred to it as the 'kawayan.')

Stuart B.

Dave Fulton
04-01-2003, 10:42 AM
No problem Stuart.

Actually, I know Mike Krivka, but I do not think that he would be able to help with these particular weapons.

Thanks for your help!

Respectfully,

Dave Fulton

P.S. Out of curiosity, who was your FMA teacher?

apoweyn
04-01-2003, 10:52 AM
Yeah, I figured you might know Mike, as close as you are geographically. (I lived in Monty County myself not too long ago, by the way.) And I think you're right. I don't know him well, but I can't recall ever hearing about his prowess with traditional weaponry.

My FMA teachers: My first teachers were the Patalinghug family in Pasadena, Maryland. Doce Pares Eskrima. They run a school named The Kick Connection. After about six years there, I started training with Guro Pat Finley in Columbia, Maryland.

Stuart B.

Dave Fulton
04-01-2003, 11:16 AM
Stuart,

You must know Masamichi Derin then, because I believe that he studied/studies with the Patalinghug family too.

Masamichi came to a few of our seminars in Frederick, but a haven't seen him in a few years.

Dave Fulton.

apoweyn
04-01-2003, 11:27 AM
Actually, I'm afraid I don't. I trained there about 10 years ago now. I stop by to visit periodically. But I haven't been there on a regular basis since 1993.

I've been meaning to visit Guro Carlos though. Sometime soon, I hope.

Stuart B.

Khun Kao Charuad
04-01-2003, 12:00 PM
I don't know if this school still exists or not, but there used to be a Kung Fu school on Georgia Ave in Wheaton called "Flying Dragon". I think they used to teach chinese weapons (its been years, so don't quote me on this).

The only other referral I can think of is Sifu Dennis Brown on Colesville Road in Silver Spring. I believe he teaches Wushu, but I understand that he also does some weapons.

Its worth a shot, anyway. If nothing else, perhaps you could get a referral?

Khun Kao

apoweyn
04-01-2003, 12:05 PM
I think they're both still operating. The Flying Dragon school is Tai Yim's fut gar school, I believe.

No_Know
04-01-2003, 12:49 PM
apoweyn's correct. It's a Hung Fut School. They also have T'ai Chi Ch'uan there. Wednsday evening. Saturday, Tuesday and Friday morning.

No_Know
04-01-2003, 12:57 PM
I'm sometimes in the Frederick area. Whatever I do it mor Chinese Kung-Fu than anything else. Perhaps there is enough Chinese weapon's theory in how I handle what you dish out that it might be helpful to you. At least perhaps interesting.

I have an E-mail. Perhaps you could tell me on what you'd like to more specifically work. Also, your schedule for best times or preferred time and locale for getting together for what on which you'd like to work.

LEGEND
04-01-2003, 04:01 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm...in Fairfax, VA I've seen the CHINESE MARTIAL ART INSTITUTE students work on staffs demo. But it is quite a commute especially during RUSH HOUR traffic. Perhaps u can come down on a weekend.

Dave Fulton
04-02-2003, 06:22 AM
No_Know,

Certainly. If you are going to be up in Frederick sometime we could do some sparring. In fact, I am sure that the other members of my group would like to play as well because it is not easy for us to find people that are interested in intense but friendly sparring. We are all different body types with different styles, so that could be cool for you.

The weapons that I am most interested in are: staff, spear and 3-section staff. I like the whip chain as well, but can't figure out how one could spar with one.

What is your e-mail address?

Thanks.

Dave Fulton

No_Know
04-02-2003, 07:48 AM
I went into your profile and sent you the E-mail address to the E-mail you put when you signed up at kungfuonline.com.

I could probablly come-up with applications for steel whip. Some are called seven link or nine link chains (I might be confusing weapons). Referencing the solid metal pieces that are the same as the metal piece at the end of the weapon. Which length do you people have for me to show you? That way I can work on methods for what you have available.

Intense but friendly, the more the merrier-ish :-)

Dave Fulton
04-02-2003, 08:55 AM
Actually,

I do not have a whip chain. I have yet to buy one because I didn't have access to proper instruction and did not feel comfortable with "home schooling" on this one. ;)

I'm not sure if this weapon is all that practical in application, but the "cool factor" is very high. :cool:

I'll await your e-mail.

Thanks!

Dave.

Taomonkey
04-02-2003, 11:06 AM
All you guys in Maryland and no one to play with Ralek?

No_Know
04-02-2003, 11:19 AM
I waited over twenty minutes. He didn't show.

Taomonkey
04-02-2003, 11:32 AM
Really, you went to the park, sorry I missed that. Is that why he dissapeared again?

apoweyn
04-02-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Taomonkey
All you guys in Maryland and no one to play with Ralek?

He's supposed to join us the next time we get together in DC. I've been in occassional contact with him via email. But he's gone curiously quiet lately.

Actually, not so curious at all really.

Stuart B.

Dave Fulton
04-08-2003, 10:01 AM
No_Know,

I still have not gotten your e-mail. Please try again.

Thanks!

Dave Fulton

P.S. Ever since our ISP merged with Yahoo, we have had nothing but problems.

No_Know
04-08-2003, 05:21 PM
At the bottom of any of my replies is a button labled profile.

Click on it. Near the top, there's a link labled...email~ No_Know.

Use this to get me an E-mail. :-)

Firebird
06-05-2003, 06:46 AM
Hi ,
maybe this is not a new question.
What weapons do you use for training ?
the light modern Wu Shu weapons or the heavy ones ?
And what are your experiences ?

For me fore example there is a great difference, doing a saber form with a wushu blade or a heavy steel blade .
Also a Kwan Dao Form with about four or five pounds takes more condition.

MasterKiller
06-05-2003, 06:49 AM
Also a Kwan Dao Form with about four or five pounds takes more condition.

Mine weighs 23 lbs.

Judge Pen
06-05-2003, 06:58 AM
I expect weapons to be functional. The "tinfoil" swords are a big annoyance with me; as is the arguments that a dao is suppossed to ripple at 90 degrees when thrust. Before Paul Chen, it was difficult to find an affordable functional Chinese sword.

I also prefer heavie staffs to train and lighter to perform; however, still the staff must appear functional. If the staff would shatter when blocking a committed strike, then its not functional.

Judge Pen
06-05-2003, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller

Mine weighs 23 lbs.

MK, where do did you get your Kwan dao?

MasterKiller
06-05-2003, 07:02 AM
MK, where do did you get your Kwan dao?
It was custom-made.

brainwars
04-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Hi all,
I am trying to find out what other people think about the following-
regarding weapons training (in particular the broadsword) is it best to start early on in my training so when the time comes, i will be familiar in the ways of the sword, or; is it best to stick to the basics until they are spot on, or ; maybe somewhere in between ?
i know weapons usually are taught to the well experienced, but i am asking for personal opinions.
Thankyou in advance!

GLW
04-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Start early...use live steel with a razor edge.

Then, you either succeed of people call you Stumpy....

Seriously, you should have stance and balance basics first. Also a basic knowledge of how to move your body and combine arms, legs, torso, head, etc... as a single unit.

After that, I would say don't start on weapon routines...but rather spend a long long time on weapon basic techniques. I eve prefer that after the basic techniques are known, to go to two person drills with the weapon where practical (and where students have the interest - hard to take a group of Taijiquan people interested in the health benefits mainly and FORCE them to do 2 person sword application drills... :) )

All the while continuing on with barehand....

cjurakpt
04-02-2008, 04:39 PM
I would argue that, based on my experience, barehand training has minimal impact on weapons training; in other words, there's no reason not to start it early on, no such thing as "too soon"; frankly, you could even train it without training barehand and be fine (you don't see too many successful fencers attributing their skill to their emptyhand training now, do you? or lacrosse players spending much time learning to play without a stick...); the bigger issue is, how well can you absorb learning more than one skill set at a time? for some people that's easy, for others it's too much - but again, I wouldn't say you needed skill in one to be able to do the other...

I also agree that for weapons training (not unlike like empty hand in this case), it's better to start on two-person drills sooner rather than later; to wit, when I started teaching stick fighting I used to have people go through it the same way I learned it - in the air; at one poitn i switched it around and started partner training right away, 8 AM, day one: not only was it more interesting, people's mechanics were better sooner...

GLW
04-03-2008, 07:38 AM
exactly...what is need from barehand training is how to stand up, step, move the upper body without thowing the lower body out of balance, etc... basic skills that are universal to any martial activity - not barehand or weapon.

Fencers drill the lunge and stepping - and put the hands in position for it...sometimes with and sometimes without the sword....

However, if you don't have the leg strength for stance work and moving drills, that is the place to start.

cjurakpt
04-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Fencers drill the lunge and stepping - and put the hands in position for it...sometimes with and sometimes without the sword....

my old Hungarian saber fencing teacher would stand and drop an apple and you had to lunge out and catch it...that was one of the less sadistic things he had up his sleeve...

SanHeChuan
04-03-2008, 03:22 PM
The problem with weapons training is that some people do need to be taught general coordination first, because the risk of injury is greater.

You see it in every school, just with empty hand.

There are people who walk in a look pretty good, and people who have been there for years and still look like they are flailing.

personally I'm not for babying people, I say throw them in with the wolves. If they get hurt, it'll tuff'n them up.

For more responsible people, start slower, keep more students, and see slower progress.

if your capable, why wait?

David Jamieson
04-03-2008, 05:46 PM
they make wooden practice weapons for that reason.

scholar
04-04-2008, 06:45 AM
I've known people to benefit from weapons as early as 6 months to a year into training. As above, this is after stance training and form work coordination basics have been drilled.

Spear is a good way to start if the student is in relatively good shape already. It is demanding; vigorous spear work conditions the upper body, shoulders and (esp.) wrists, but it can be hard on the ceiling, walls, and furniture. If there isn't room for the spear in the classroom, then broadsword is my next choice.

sanjuro_ronin
04-04-2008, 07:02 AM
FMA start weapons training first and H2H after, there are pro's and con's to that, one of them being that the power generation of an armed system is not the same as for an empty handed system.

But weapons training gives you a unique perspective of close quarter fighting.

David Jamieson
11-25-2010, 07:47 AM
Ok, so enough about outmoded H2H, we all know that to be king, you need to know how to operate weapons and pugilism is...well, not so important.

What kind of work do you do with weapons?
What kind of weapons do you work with?

I currently keep the following in tune:

Rifle skills. Still got em, check em on average twice a year. For an average dude, I can get good hits at distance.

Compound & recurve bow skills. Still got those too. I am of the opinion that my skills here are above average and that has everything to do with starting at a very young age (5).

Long weapons - I practice quarterstaff and halberd with regularity. The staffs I use are eyebrow height rattan and one hand over head height oak. Simple techniques are preferable. The halberd I use is of course highly antiquated, but, It's fun and I enjoy it. I bought a kwan do from Gene some years back and that's the one I use. It's fairly heavy, somewhere close to 30 lbs or so and provides a test of strength.

Short weapons - I prefer butterfly knives (wu dip do and not balisong). These are double weapons and I enjoy working with them. they demand co-ordination from you and mindfulness in their use. A great weapon to train with that has side effect benefits as well.

Swords - Love swords, all traditions. It's difficult to participate in partner work with swords unless I take up fencing again. Which I may very well do this coming year. I do it now, but not with the regularity I would enjoy. I would enjoy further study of saber combat and will keep my hand in with the finesse of the other rapiers.

Anyone else keep up with weapons training?
Do you use forms?

I have to say, I dropped forms after absorbing principles of the weapons. The forms are interesting, but they aren't practical in many ways once you have learned weapon retention and some footwork. After that, it is the principles that really guide the usage of the weapon in a logical manner.

I still know all the weapons forms I was taught and have learned and will use them to transmit to someone else one day probably.

so, any thoughts?

kungfublow
11-25-2010, 08:22 AM
I was waiting for this discussion to come up as I was thinking about it last night. Good timing David!

I started out learning forms for Bo, Broadsword, Double Broadsword, 3 section staff. I have moved on to some others since then but these are my best for sure.

I got bored with forms rather quickly. They helped me get used to the weapon and understand some of the strikes and blocks but I don't think it gave me any real combat ability. So I decided to create this myself because I wasn't getting anyting from my sifu over and above the form. Luckily I had a friend who was a knight at Medival Times. Funny I know! But he had a love for sword play and was using Kendo Shinai to spar with people. I jumped on this and cut down one of the handles to resemble a broadsword. Now it's not perfect and of course this is not full blown combat but I feel this kind of sparring has taught me more than the forms could. It's amazing how the blocks and strikes just come out in sparring the same way they do in the form. It's also nice to play around with what works and what doesn't. It's like any hand to hand sparring. You go almost full out with the mindset that you don't want to hurt just make contact and let him know you could have hurt him.

Does any one else practice in this way? If you don't I say get some sticks and start hitting.

Yum Cha
11-25-2010, 11:54 AM
If you're not training full contact with resisting opponents and loaded/edged weapons.....

Then your probably still alive to read this.:D

sanjuro_ronin
11-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Impact weapons: Short, middle and long stick
Edge: Folding and fixed blades, curved and straight sword.
Combination of the above.
Firearms: I don't carry or use them anymore but in regards to handgun I still train how to get at them and keep people from getting at them.
Marksmanship is somewhat irrelevant for handgun training.
It's been years since I fired a rifle.
How do I train the edge and impact weapons?
I train the impact weapons VS a padded bag or a hanging dummy, same for the blunt training knives and swords but I always add test cutting whenever I train edge weapons.

YouKnowWho
11-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Anyone else keep up with weapons training?
Do you use forms?

I'll hold my Miao Dao, and go into the woods (my house is next to the woods), and chop down tree branches like a mad man.

David Jamieson
11-25-2010, 12:45 PM
I'll hold my Miao Dao, and go into the woods (my house is next to the woods), and chop down tree branches like a mad man.

nice. The Miao Dao..that's the one that is reminiscent of a katana right?

SR- I used to use blunts on the heavy bag, but not so much anymore, just at first to make sure the attack was the right shape. It's hard on the bag and I've actually had a rattan staff splinter into a few pieces doing this. lol ...disaster.

good for eskrima sticks though. I prefer hardwhip to eskrima. I'm just a kung fu favouring jerk that way though. :D

YouKnowWho
11-25-2010, 12:50 PM
The Miao Dao..that's the one that is reminiscent of a katana right?
The best weapon to fight against zombies. It's long, heavy, and sharp. In the ancient time when Japanese pirates attacked Chinese coast line, the Japanese pirate held samuria sword. Chinese told the Japanses pirate, "You call that in your hands a sword? I'll show you what a real sword suppose to look like." The Chinese Maio Dao is much longer than a Japanese samuria sword.

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/8537/maiodao.jpg

Yum Cha
11-25-2010, 01:39 PM

Move a little further north and they call that forestry....

Ok John, we want a video....:D

Yum Cha
11-25-2010, 01:55 PM
I use 'weapons' mostly as training aids, for strength and principle.

knife follows hand in Pak Mei, a majority of our stuff works transparently holding a knife in reverse grip. The only way to really practice knife work is 1 on 1 with blunts, like in the Philippines.

Anybody ever played with one of those Electric shock blades?

Techniques for using short stick/dao, long stick, long pole (sabre vs fencing styles)

And I have a couple of 20 inch iron bars I use for 2 handed weapon training, like melon knives, double dao, er, ah, double iron bars....

Personally, I have this thing about not getting attached to any weapon, but rather core skills to make anything a weapon.

I've got some sticks covered in foam pipe insulation that we use to whack at each other on occasion.... :D Started training blocks, evasion and disarms...

I have to admit, Sifu isn't big on weapons. Knife, Staff, Sword.

mooyingmantis
11-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Though I do know and teach forms for the traditional weapons, I have always emphasized the principles of their use. My students have always practiced sparring/fighting with every weapon they have learned.

As for modern combatives, I am an NRA pistol instructor and teach courses in home defense, dynamic entry and street tactics with both the pistol and AR-15 rifle.

sanjuro_ronin
11-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Anybody ever played with one of those Electric shock blades?

Yep, they're ok, they keep you honest :)

David Jamieson
11-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Though I do know and teach forms for the traditional weapons, I have always emphasized the principles of their use. My students have always practiced sparring/fighting with every weapon they have learned.

As for modern combatives, I am an NRA pistol instructor and teach courses in home defense, dynamic entry and street tactics with both the pistol and AR-15 rifle.

Good! A Practical shooter!
We can't have weapons for home defense in Canada because of how our laws work.
Basically, you cannot buy a weapon for self defense here.
I know, I know, what can I say, we are an extremely peaceful society. lol

sanjuro_ronin
11-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Good! A Practical shooter!
We can't have weapons for home defense in Canada because of how our laws work.
Basically, you cannot buy a weapon for self defense here.
I know, I know, what can I say, we are an extremely peaceful society. lol

You can, if you take the course, buy the certifications, present a reason for wanting a restricted firearm ( handgun) or just by a rifle or shotgun.
I had a Winchester model 70 and Remington 700, both in .308 for a few years, but I lose the taste for shooting and sold them to a local gun shop about 10 years ago.

David Jamieson
11-25-2010, 02:56 PM
You can, if you take the course, buy the certifications, present a reason for wanting a restricted firearm ( handgun) or just by a rifle or shotgun.
I had a Winchester model 70 and Remington 700, both in .308 for a few years, but I lose the taste for shooting and sold them to a local gun shop about 10 years ago.

Yes, you can own the weapons, but you will not be sold them if you say "it's for self defense" as that is not a valid reason for gun ownership due to it being contradictory to our rule of law.

However, if you shoot someone who is trying to harm you in your home, with your firearm, you will be charged with the shooting and will have to defend yourself under the reasonable force law.

It's very tricky here that way.

kungfublow
11-26-2010, 06:35 AM

Nice! What's the point of learning a weapon if you can't really use it. One question..... When you say you spar and fight with weapons how do you actually do this? Is it with foam weapons or controlled drills? Just curious as I find it very difficult to spar with any intensity with weapons like BO or sticks. Drills are good but as we all know drills aren't fighting. I can't afford to keep knocking out sparring partners. Nobody will want to play!

Oh Canada! Does it make sense we can be charged for defending our home? Almost makes a guy want to move south.

xcakid
11-26-2010, 06:50 AM
I take tactical pistol and carbine course at the very least 2X a year. Never got into long range shooting. I shoot about 2-3X a month. I use to compete in IDPA and IPSC, but have not done any competition in the past 2 yrs. I need to get back. I have my concealed handgun license so in all honesty, for me that is my self defense. I will use my martial arts to get to my gun.

Also practice my Arnis sparodically whenever I can find a partner to work out with. This includes knife fighting.

In kung fu, although I practice applications of weapons form, we do not do any sparring with them unlike when I was in Ying Jow Pai.

sanjuro_ronin
11-26-2010, 07:10 AM
Yes, you can own the weapons, but you will not be sold them if you say "it's for self defense" as that is not a valid reason for gun ownership due to it being contradictory to our rule of law.

However, if you shoot someone who is trying to harm you in your home, with your firearm, you will be charged with the shooting and will have to defend yourself under the reasonable force law.

It's very tricky here that way.

That applies to restricted firearms (hand guns), you need to give a valid reason for owning one ( job for example), but it doesn't apply to rifles and shotguns.

David Jamieson
11-26-2010, 07:17 AM
That applies to restricted firearms (hand guns), you need to give a valid reason for owning one ( job for example), but it doesn't apply to rifles and shotguns.

True, but if you use that rifle or shotgun to defend yourself, you will be charged with shooting whoever it is that you shot and the onus is on your to prove that you used reasonable force whilst blasting them wit da gun gun.

There's a few records of it here in canuckistan.

However, you can beat the daylights out of someone and tie them up, then call the police and have them arrested...although that will get you arrested as well.

It's weird here when it comes to defending yourself. the laws are highly prohibitive of any physical violence either perpetrated or defended against.

Physical violence is an extremely serious crime in Canada when it comes down to it and the tolerance is low. You can steal, you can cheat, you can defraud and the penalties are normal or low. But any act of violence will find you wishing you were someone else living a different life because soon enough, people who do that won't be able to get a pardon.

The Canadian attitude is that the person who resorts to violence is low minded and not trustworthy because they are incapable of restraining themselves. When people defend themselves with violence, that same regard is put onto them here.

There is simply zero tolerance as far as violence towards others goes. You get weirdness, but overall I think Canadian society is much more peaceful and safe than American society is in our major cities.

sanjuro_ronin
11-26-2010, 07:30 AM
True, but if you use that rifle or shotgun to defend yourself, you will be charged with shooting whoever it is that you shot and the onus is on your to prove that you used reasonable force whilst blasting them wit da gun gun.

There's a few records of it here in canuckistan.

However, you can beat the daylights out of someone and tie them up, then call the police and have them arrested...although that will get you arrested as well.

It's weird here when it comes to defending yourself. the laws are highly prohibitive of any physical violence either perpetrated or defended against.

Physical violence is an extremely serious crime in Canada when it comes down to it and the tolerance is low. You can steal, you can cheat, you can defraud and the penalties are normal or low. But any act of violence will find you wishing you were someone else living a different life because soon enough, people who do that won't be able to get a pardon.

The Canadian attitude is that the person who resorts to violence is low minded and not trustworthy because they are incapable of restraining themselves. When people defend themselves with violence, that same regard is put onto them here.

There is simply zero tolerance as far as violence towards others goes. You get weirdness, but overall I think Canadian society is much more peaceful and safe than American society is in our major cities.

From my experience it tends to be dictated by the officers on the scene and one's attitude towards them and the perpatrator.
I've seen this first hand with some bouncers being charged while other get a "good work" from some Cops.
When and if it his the press, it also depends on who is writing the story.

Have you seen today's Toronto Sun headlines ?

David Jamieson
11-26-2010, 08:24 AM
From my experience it tends to be dictated by the officers on the scene and one's attitude towards them and the perpatrator.
I've seen this first hand with some bouncers being charged while other get a "good work" from some Cops.
When and if it his the press, it also depends on who is writing the story.

Have you seen today's Toronto Sun headlines ?

The sun? I don't read that. lol
Gimme a Star anyday. :p

But yeah, there is a lot of gun violence happening.
Do you see where it's happening?

sanjuro_ronin
11-26-2010, 08:29 AM
The sun? I don't read that. lol
Gimme a Star anyday. :p

But yeah, there is a lot of gun violence happening.
Do you see where it's happening?

The sun headlines today dude:
http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/11/25/16321531.html

And the editorial:

http://www.torontosun.com/comment/editorial/2010/11/25/16319761.html

Lucas
11-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Miao Dao reminds me of Nodachi

http://www.freewebs.com/toufuushogunate/Nodachi.jpg

David Jamieson
11-26-2010, 10:40 AM
The sun headlines today dude:
http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/11/25/16321531.html

And the editorial:

http://www.torontosun.com/comment/editorial/2010/11/25/16319761.html

yup yup, we talk and talk and it's the same every year though.
what's up with that I wonder?

sanjuro_ronin
11-26-2010, 10:47 AM
yup yup, we talk and talk and it's the same every year though.
what's up with that I wonder?

There is a huge problem in the black community that. outside of the relatives of the victims, no one seems to want to address openly.
Fear of being called racists I assume.

David Jamieson
11-26-2010, 11:07 AM
There is a huge problem in the black community that. outside of the relatives of the victims, no one seems to want to address openly.
Fear of being called racists I assume.

Well at least Canada can lead the west in why being PC is a crock of crap when it gets right down to it. Just because it's embarassing to get help doesn't mean it shouldn't be gotten.

The old saying: "Tell me and I'll forget, Show me and I might remember, Involve me and I will understand."

I believe that applies on a macro scale to the whole socio-economic situation where we are. The divide isn't political, it's monetary, education and skills and access to that as well as cultural.

sanjuro_ronin
11-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Well at least Canada can lead the west in why being PC is a crock of crap when it gets right down to it. Just because it's embarassing to get help doesn't mean it shouldn't be gotten.

The old saying: "Tell me and I'll forget, Show me and I might remember, Involve me and I will understand."

I believe that applies on a macro scale to the whole socio-economic situation where we are. The divide isn't political, it's monetary, education and skills and access to that as well as cultural.

Well said.

Back on subject:
I found that, when I started doing full contact stick work, the same issues of going from "air punching" to full contact fighting were present.
Power, endurance, follow through, getting hit back !
And not just in regards to getting hit bu the other guy, but the difference it is to actually HIT something and have to keep on hitting somethign with resistence.

Lucas
11-26-2010, 11:24 AM
i think one of the funnest ways to train weapons is to have a giant pile of assorted wooden weapons and a few guys you can trust and have free for all, or set up matches, the non participants judging the winner based on what ever rules you want (important here is to make sure that you use the weapon like its supposed to, while 'whacking' with a saber would hurt, its not a real cut, so the judges have to watch that, and let you know when your 'stick fighting' with a blade). no full contact unless you use a bit of protection gear. trust is a major aspect here, but you can get a lot of good training in and its tons of fun.

donjitsu2
12-08-2011, 12:34 PM
A little bit of weapons training in the back yard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dKKdJoXF7PI#!)

Enjoy!

Hebrew Hammer
12-08-2011, 12:40 PM
You need some friends...

GeneChing
12-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Nice track. I'll have to check out Major Lazer next chance I get.

sanjuro_ronin
12-08-2011, 12:58 PM
F'en baton twirlers!
:mad:

Lucas
12-08-2011, 01:51 PM
i was reeeally hoping grandma was going to bust out some kwan dao for us :(

wenshu
12-08-2011, 02:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rmWnwtps6I&feature=related

GeneChing
12-08-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm NOT with you on that post above, wenshu. WTF?!

:p

wenshu
12-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Whenever I hear dubstep that is what I think of.

I don't really get it either.

uki
12-09-2011, 02:57 AM
i was reeeally hoping grandma was going to bust out some kwan dao for us LOL... yep...