PDA

View Full Version : Deadlifts with dumbbells?

chen zhen
06-05-2003, 07:32 AM
I usually do stiff-legged deadlifts with a couple of heavy dumbbells, but now I would like to do the normal deadlifts, as I think they hit the lower back muscles better. But how do I do them with dumbbells? the arms will be in the way at the front, and it won't work if they're at the sides. So what do I do?

IronFist
06-05-2003, 01:54 PM
Why can't you do them with your arms at the sides? Just bend down a little lower.

Or you can do one armed dumbell deadlifts, with the dumbell inbetween your legs. The weight will be less since you're using only one arm, but it's an interesting workout.

IronFist

chen zhen
06-06-2003, 08:29 AM
Tried both things, and it did'nt work out that well

WinterPalm
06-06-2003, 01:40 PM
Here's a good way to do intense deadlifts with one dumbell. I have the type where you load plates onto the dumbell handle and then lift so what I did was take a piece of PVC piping as long as the little handle that goes in the middle of the dumbell and wrapped the handle in tape till the PVC pipe fit over nice and snug. This made the handle two inches or so thick. Then I add on two twenty five pound weights to each end and lift. It's only a hundred pounds but for one hand and a handle that thick I can only usually do four reps at best. Do something like four or five sets or whenever you can't do four anymore. (This is usually when your grip starts to go and the dumbell risks hitting the ground.
Then do a couple sets of regular deadlifts with a barbell.
This is the routine I do when I do deadlifts which isn't very often but generally does the trick.

chen zhen
06-07-2003, 01:44 AM
I don't have a barbell, that's why I have to do them with dumbells:(