PDA

View Full Version : Preparation for training, please help

bungle
06-05-2003, 10:59 AM
Hi
I'm gonna goto london at some point to train with shi yanzi of shaolin temple uk but not until late summer. What kinda training should i be doing in preparation? I have access to a wicked gym and a could train at either of these schools to help prepare.

http://www.chun-seh-dau-school-of-shaolin-kung-fu.co.uk
and
http://www.itswa.freeserve.co.uk/

I havn't been to either yet. What do you think? I know they probaly ain't legit but i was thinking for prep they might be pretty good. Any help guys? Thanks for any replies!

Oh i'm 21, 6ft and 89 kg with about 16 % body fat so i gotta lose some weight too probaly, i gain muscle very easily...I've done lau gar kung fu 3 yrs, taekwondo 2 yrs and some thai. Thanks.,

Robinf
06-05-2003, 11:17 AM
Since you're going to go to train in a specific school, don't train in one now. Leave your slate clean. Training in a school now will only leave you with habits you'll have to break.

Go to the gym and work on strength training and cardio--get your wind up and your body prepared for different stances and movements.

Honestly, if you can find one, try a gymnastics or dance class--learn rhythm and balance.

shaolinboxer
06-05-2003, 11:21 AM
Run and stretch.

bungle
06-05-2003, 01:17 PM
should i work on holding horse stance? What sort of running? I know running before you eat in the morning is good for fat loss. should i work more body weight stuff? How many press ups should i aim for? Any good aims you know to go for? Thanks

Robinf
06-06-2003, 06:16 AM
Stance work should be fine, but be open to knew stances or to holding old stances differently.

Work on doing some type of aerobic workout, like running, for at least 30 minutes a day.

Do some resistance training three times per week--with a day of rest in between. As to weight, that's up to you. I'd go for a bit lighter and more repetitions to build up muscle endurance. Once you start your martial arts, you'll see where you need to be stronger.

Also, for the resistance training, do total body workout each time and go from exercise to exercise without much rest. 2 or 3 sets of 12 to 15 reps for each exercise.

Hit all the muscle groups with at least one exercise a piece. If you do compound resistance exercises, then I would do just one extra exercise that then emphasizes each muscle.

Look here (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/anatomy.htm) to see some good, standard resistance training exercises.

No_Know
06-15-2003, 06:13 PM
Yes. work on Holding a horse riding stance. Work on shifting between the five (main) Hung gar stances. Work on going from stance with one side to stance with the other side (repeat).

Robinf is correct to mention not to join a school only to quit and join another school.

No pictures for the one page and I had uncerttainties for the other. I hope to E-mail the school about-which I had some wonder.

As to old stances new stances. The five to which I allude seem good standards for whatever stances. Shao-lin is Shao-lin. And the horse-riding stance and bow and arrow stance. The dragon or scissors stance. The one-legged stance or hanging horse stance. The cat stance.