PDA

View Full Version : Dit Da Jow question

African Tiger
06-05-2003, 04:44 PM
So guys, I'm starting my Iron Palm when I get back from The Netherlands (legal weed!!!!!!!).

I've been using Dit Da Jow to rub my knees and to help loosen up my hamstrings, so I know to be careful. But I've been told that it's so poisonous, that you shouldn't allow it to get into a cut or an open sore. So I've been avoiding starting Iron Palm until various scratches on my hands heal (stupid ass cat!), but I wonder if I am waiting too long?

Would something as simple as a scrape or a cat scratch jeopardize my health, if I get DDJ into those injuries? Don't want to die for my art, ya dig?

Ben Gash
06-05-2003, 04:50 PM
It'd probably just hurt like hell.
You ever put red flower oil on a bruise and then go to take a pee before you've washed your hands?:eek:

David Jamieson
06-06-2003, 05:02 AM
If the dit da jow you are using contains substances such as "horse coin" then YES! it is highly poisonous.

There are several forms of ddj that have very poisonous substances included in them.

Store bought varieties do not contain these as far as I know (and I've looked at a lot of over the counter jows) but if you are getting yours from your school recipe, this is probably a question you should ask your teacher.

cheers

Starchaser107
06-06-2003, 10:13 AM
Are the over the counter jows any good?

hasayfu
06-06-2003, 10:56 AM
Some are good some aren't. It also depends on what your purpose is. There is a commercial jow called 5 somethings. It comes in a small glass bottle with black writing on an orange label. This is a little better then water. I'd stay away from that one.

I vouch for my Sifu's jow. It's perfect for iron palm and bruising. Not so good for sore/stiff muscles.

http://www.wle.com//products/td02.html

This is also safe for small cuts.

Ming Yue
06-06-2003, 01:08 PM
I think it depends on the jow.

I've had access to some that contained some pretty serious ingredients, boric acid among other stuff, and that I wouldn't mess with.

Some jow is more innocuous, like liniment, and would sting like crazy but probably not be dangerous.

So you just might want to know what's in your potion before you get it into an open cut..

:D

Starchaser107
06-06-2003, 01:21 PM
what about ohc ?
www.orientalherb.com

is this what you referred to as the five somethings?

hasayfu
06-06-2003, 02:11 PM
Hi Starchaser,

That is not the 5 something. I'll have to go to a chinese pharmacy. It's a pretty common brand in chinese stores but it's cheap and you get what you pay for.

Black Jack
06-06-2003, 02:15 PM
If you want to go the western way you can use salt and pickle brine or a weak tannic solution. 19th century bare knuckle boxers used these methods.

azwingchun
06-06-2003, 02:59 PM
I believe you are speaking about 5 Photo Brand Dit Da Jow. Here it is http://www.winghopfung.com/winghopfung/noname5.html . ;)

Skarbromantis
06-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Whats so bad about that one?

Skard1

David Jamieson
06-06-2003, 05:23 PM
Actually, there isn't anything wrong with it. (5 photos buddhist masters recipe brand)

Maybe it's because it's cheaper than most other brands available over the net or from stores?

That particular dit da jow is actually not altogether bad. It's not the strongest of jows, but for most peoples training bruises, aches and pains it does the trick. And it doesn't have too much camphor in it like so many other brands.

sure you can make your own, if ya got a recipe.

The whole thing with dit da jows is that they are jealously guarded by those who make them. This stems from older masters who would actually have to guard the recipes from snakeoil salesman who would steal the recipes and make money from them that the person who made the jow would see none of.

This kind of jealousy still exists in some of the old school guys. It's a hold over.

Dit da jow is good, and it is pretty useful for healing a bruise. But it's not the super duper wonder liniment it once was. A lot of the bruise breaking up comes from the application method moreso than the jow itself anyway. Jow just speeds healing by a day or two, takes care of the pain and lets you get on with training without having to be constantly bugged by the bruise.

cheers

African Tiger
06-07-2003, 08:55 AM
Thanks guys!

I get my OTC Jow from a Doctor in Chinatown, Los Angeles. He fixed my knees a few years back, and I am eternally grateful!!

He uses what seems to be a family recipe, but he uses rubbing alcohol as his fermentation product. It reeks to hell, but it seems to penetrate faster than other Jows I have used. Actually I have gotten some of this Jow in a small cat scratch on my hands before, with no side effects. But if I start meowing and taking a **** in a box, someone please send me a saucer of milk...:D

I'm making my first batch of Jow right now from the 5 Elders Formula, using Vodka to ferment. It should be ready by the time I return from The Netherlands. The herbalogist (sp?) in Chinatown who sold me the herbs was reluctant to give me one or two of the herbs, saying she didn't want me to poison myself. I assured her that I would be careful. Having worked in Food Service on more than one occasion, I know how to protect myself from contaminants.

African Tiger
06-07-2003, 08:58 AM
Come to think of it, have any of you used Jow with any other linaments simultaneously; i.e., Tiger balm, Aspercreme or Flexall, MSM/Glucosamine/Chondroitin products, Emu oil, etc? Any ill side effects?

Judge Pen
06-09-2003, 06:15 AM
Where I'm at there's not a lot of options for jow. My sifu makes some from time to time, but the ingrediants for the recipe are not readily availible in Knoxville Tennessee. As far as the internet, where's a good place to get strong jow?

MAC
06-12-2003, 08:16 AM
This is a question I've seen asked numerous times and I finally found a place where a consensus was arrived at for the best (and strongest) available via the internet. Though the stuff available from WLE was highly regarded, the overall consensus was that the best source was :

http://www.yaukungmun.com.au/
http://www.yaukungmun.com.au/Dit%20Dar.htm

The discussion did involve independents that had acquired and used these formulas. They are offered premade or just the herbs and you can brew yourself.
And no, I have no affiliation.