PDA

View Full Version : Double weighting in Tai Chi

Paul T
06-06-2003, 04:39 AM
I have been thinking about this recently but I have not had a chance to ask my sifu or read any of my books. What are peoples views on applying this theory?

Laughing Cow
06-06-2003, 04:55 AM
First tell us what your definition of What "double weighing" is for you.

Many see it as a 50/50 weights distribution on the feet and many others see it as something completely different.

Also do a search in the archives, it is a topic that comes up often.

Paul T
06-06-2003, 06:35 AM
Well I think of it as moving your weight from one leg to another, driving off one leg and landing on the other when you strike. Not sure if it meaning you should never be 50/50.

Thanks and I will check out old posts...

RAF
06-06-2003, 06:46 AM
Here's a long discussion about singleweightedness which might provide what you are looking for:

http://www.yangfamilytaichi.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Tai+Chi+Theory+and+Principles&number=7&DaysPrune=20&LastLogin=

"I would like to ask the more experienced Yang Chen-fu members here about single weightedness as applied in Yang Cheng-fu style. I am a mere beginner at Yang Cheng-fu style, and am curious about the apparent differences in application theory to what I learned previously.
In other styles I have had the priviledge to study there was a much great emphasis on being and staying single weighted. There were only three very specific postures in the long forms I have learned where it was ever considered proper to be anything less than single weighted and in all three postures weight was evenly distributed just for a moment in the flow of the form.
In Yang Cheng-fu style, this does not seem to hold true. I understand that there is a division of weight into a 90%/10% split between substantial and insubstantial in Yang Cheng-fu style.
In other styles, there was only ever "intent" in the insubstantial until the weight actually was begun to be transfered and then the transfer was one hundred percent.
Anyone care to take a shot at enlightening me on the Yang Cheng-fu weight distribution?
The fault could easily be mine. Am I simply misunderstanding the concept of single weightedness in this form style?
I have pestered my teacher about it and certainly see some benefits to it from his explanations. I also see some disadvantages.
Simply curious as to the difference in theories and how they are applied and, in case you haven't allready tripped across my long winded posts elsewhere on this board, ever curious about any kind of discussion into Taijiquan theory.
Thank you."

Vapour
06-06-2003, 09:57 AM
Our style perform form with 99/1 weight distribution but in sparing/tuishou, the distribution of our initial stance is 50/50, the state before ying and yang emerge..

In my judo junior class, we occasionaly do sumo. Often, contestants get stuck in hold and occasionally, some of them support their weight only with one leg, the other leg is off the ground doing nothing. This is refered to as being double weighted in single leg.

If you are stuck you are double weighted no matter what. If your opponent hasn't done anything to you, you should be 50/50 ready to yield to any direction. So the idea relate not necessarily to the ability to *differentiate* substantial with insabstantial but to the ability to *switch* substantial with insubstantial.

PLCrane
06-08-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Paul T
Well I think of it as moving your weight from one leg to another, driving off one leg and landing on the other when you strike. Not sure if it meaning you should never be 50/50.

Thanks and I will check out old posts...

The way I heard it explained is that nothing happens in a stance. Stances are where you land at the end of the movement, or where you start the movement. All the action happens in between the pictures in the book.

If you're stepping, it's impossible to avoid being 50/50 at some point in the step. The trick is learning the alignment and timing to get maximum effect when you hit.

PLC