PDA

View Full Version : Sparring Question

Paul T
06-06-2003, 07:07 AM
how do you practice full contact sparring if you need to wear glasses?

ewallace
06-06-2003, 07:31 AM
Either wear contacts or put some sport safety goggles on over your glasses.

Kempo Guy
06-06-2003, 09:25 AM
I am 'legally' blind (I am really near sighted) without my contacts/glasses but choose not to wear them during sparring as my contacts have a habit of popping off my eye if I get nailed in the eye region. :D

I've found that when I stopped wearing contacts, my fear reactivity got reduced, i.e. I wasn't as jumpy with any little move my opponent makes. It also gives me a soft focus so my peripheral vision appeared to be better.

So, I would suggest sparring without your glasses. It takes a while getting used to it but after a few sessions you'll do fine.

KG

TzuChan
06-06-2003, 09:32 AM
I had some guy on my soccer team couple of years back, and he had glasses like the pro-basketballers sometimes wear, so it's almost impossible to have them fall of your head since it's the same system for ski-masks and stuff. And you could throw his glasses on the field, jump on it with those freaky soccer spikes, and the glasses would be ok ... It was very expensive though, but it was impressive how strong and handy it was

Cheese Dog
06-06-2003, 12:36 PM
Just get used to sparring without glasses. Like Kempo Guy, I'm extremely nearsighted, and though it took a little while, I spar as good without as with.

They tend to go flying in a real altercation anyway!