PDA

View Full Version : Side split flexability problem/help

Satanachia
06-06-2003, 08:13 AM
I've just a got a little problem and wondered if anyone can help me with it. Side split flexability isn't really used at the place i train in the way we fight, at least not to any extreme, so its not really an issue, but its still something nice to have to pick up the chicks :P

But anyway, my problem is that every time i go into the basic side splits stretch to any kind of decent ammount, it feels as though the mucle on the outside of my legs between my knees and my hips cramp up rather painfully. I've tried doing it standing, on the floor, and on a wall letting gravity do the work, but it seems that whatever i try, i still get the pain. Its essentially stopping me from getting past the 90 degree angle into something that might actually be slightly impressive.

Any suggestions people, both on what it is that's causing it, and whether i can do anything to try and remedy the situation it, or whether there's some other mystical stretch out there?

Ford Prefect
06-06-2003, 08:46 AM
Your nervous system is causing it. :) And mr Golgi... I'd say PNF and STI stretching drills would be the easiest way to increase it again.

rubthebuddha
06-06-2003, 10:00 AM
make sure you're stretching the outside of the legs, too. they may be cramping because they are stiff as well and not receiving any attention.