PDA

View Full Version : What does Chi/qi feel like?

Souljah
06-06-2003, 09:07 AM
Are there certain signs that identify when you are able to feel it?

Please - I'd like some serious answers if possible...

-greg

count
06-06-2003, 09:09 AM
Chi warms the body, if you don't believe me, touch a dead one.

PS: Yes, I'm back from Chicago. :cool:

Vapour
06-06-2003, 09:44 AM
In term of martial arts, it's difference between li (brute force) and jing, IMO. When someone do technique with li, you can feel the misalignement of opponent's body. Wit jing, you sort of feel rush (qi?).

Souljah
06-06-2003, 11:00 AM
thanks for the contributions, I was just wondering if the tingling you felt when breathing (and focusing on it) was qi....? And being able to produce a cool sweat.....any relation?

Former castleva
06-06-2003, 03:48 PM
Nothing of that kind requires chi to be there.

Just my humble,possibly truthful opinion.

Stacey
06-06-2003, 04:09 PM
relax, breathe and you'll know in time.

To be relaxed and have your chi flowing is better than the sex that most people have....but when your chi'd up, sex becomes legendary.

nahcybrad
06-07-2003, 01:25 PM
What does Chi/qi feel like?

What IS the Matrix?

StickyHands
06-07-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by nahcybrad
What does Chi/qi feel like?

What IS the Matrix?

LOL. The man asked a cogent question, it's ok if your still trapped in the Matrix with Neo's Cheap tricks. ahh it rhymes....

Laughing Cow
06-07-2003, 01:55 PM
Souljah.

Hard to tell what it feels like, it can vary between people too.

In general if you can't feel it yet it is wrong to give you ideas as you might mis-interpret sensations and follow down the wrong path. ;)

Like with many things in MA try to identify/strive for certain results and you will be sure to miss them.

Cheers.

ZIM
06-07-2003, 02:04 PM
"...Tang was stuck. After thinking it over for a while, he led Li to a temple by the town of Ning River. Making sure that no one else was nearby, he lightly knocked on a large bell hanging inside the temple. The bell gave a resonating sound. Tang asked Li to put his hand on the bell. “That’s it,” Tang said. Seeing Li was still confused, Tang commented, “Back then Sifu Li Cun-yi taught me the secret of ‘Sounds of Thunder from Tigers and Leopards’ exactly this way, I didn’t hide anything from you. Only you didn’t get it.” So the matter was put aside. "

link (http://tomabey.com/en/article.aspx?msgid=741&bbsid=1010&topicid=3) don't know if that'll help.
In general if you can't feel it yet it is wrong to give you ideas as you might mis-interpret sensations and follow down the wrong path Yes.

nahcybrad
06-07-2003, 07:16 PM
My point is...

"..no one can be told what the matrix is.
You have to see it for yourself."

Souljah
06-08-2003, 03:55 AM
ok thanks

Empty Fist
06-08-2003, 07:08 AM
For me it feels like two of the same magnetic poles repelling each other. Everyone is different. For example, some people may feel heat instead.

monkey mind
06-09-2003, 06:01 AM
I agree with Laughing Cow - best not to have preconceptions. Try regularly practicing wai dan (postural qigong). Keep your body relaxed & your breathing smooth & natural. You will feel qi moving before too long, but don't seize on it ("Aha! That's what qi feels like!") Keep your mind open & keep practicing. My 2 cents.

PhantomFighter
06-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Chi can be felt in many ways.

Specifically Yin:

- cold
- windy

Specifically Yang:

- heat

Sensations of the flow of Chi (yin & yang):

- tingling/vibration
- itchiness
- "magnetic" repulsion etc
- electricity

bodhitree
06-10-2003, 05:52 AM
Warm energy that can be guided by yi (will). In wuji I focus on feeling it in my lungs on the inhale, then dinking it to the dantien on the exhale.

jbmmaster
06-14-2003, 05:18 PM
I am new to meditating and i heard that lying meditation is good for begginers so i tried it for about a half an hour really focusing on the correct posture and i found it to very helpful. while i was in the meditation i can feel a very strong tingling sensation in my fingertips, kind of like when you put your arm over something for a while and your blood circulation cuts off and you can feel this tingling sensation. When i got up i felt peaceful and in complete harmony, I long to be in this state for as long as i live, dont you all agree.

TIDAL
06-14-2003, 10:04 PM
Trying to describe what chi/qi feels like to somebody who doesn't know, is like trying to explain to somebody what being drunk feels like when they've never touched alcohol. If you haven't been drunk it, u just dont understand it.

TIDAL

scotty1
06-20-2003, 04:57 PM
What does qi feel like?

Warm apple pie.

I quite often get tingly hands when I breathe out, practising or not, but I don't think it's qi.

themeecer
06-24-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Souljah
thanks for the contributions, I was just wondering if the tingling you felt when breathing (and focusing on it) was qi....? And being able to produce a cool sweat.....any relation?

Like everyone has already posted .. it is different for everyone. If you try to chase it you will never achieve it. Just do what you have been taught and let happen what will. Any reaction is good reaction.

I had been practicing Hou Tien Chi training for several months with really no reaction. Later we had a gal in class that had reactions almost immediatly. Talk about being jealous. Well I kept doing what I was doing and finally I started with a cold sweat. Then a little while later I got a small vibration. Then the flood gates opened up, it seemed like I was making huge advancements each time I meditated.

So I understand any frustration you may have. Just hang on because it is definetly worth it.

TaiChiBob
06-25-2003, 05:33 AM
Greetings..

One day the movements were just movements, rote choreography.. then, one day i felt a rising wave beginning in my feet and linking successive parts of my alignment in such a fluid manner that the final movement of the hand was almost like cracking a whip, followed by a profound sense accomplishment and euphoria.. i don't believe that was Chi, but i sense that Chi produced the effect..

I'm not sure that we can actually feel Chi, more likely we feel what Chi does.. the "tingling" is not chi, but it may be something chi has produced.. Chi is not some tangible substance we put in a jar and study, it is a force, perhaps an energy that manifests its presence through physical sensations and accomplishments.. we begin to sense its heightened cultivation and conscious use through physical evidence..

My personal take on this issue is that Chi is similar, if not synonymous, with Tao.. that underlying principle that IS, and any other descriptions are just arbitrary interpretations of its IS-ness.. As we get lost trying to "feel the Chi" we will often miss the results of its presence.. As one wise sage said "it's as easy as doing it.. and as difficult as trying to do it"....

Just my $0.02.. Be well...

PS. Stacey's commentary Re: sex, as a side issue, Tantric discipline uses Chi to elevate sex from a physical act to a metaphysical event..