PDA

View Full Version : Hawkins Cheung

J
06-06-2003, 12:58 PM
What's the scoop on Hawkins Cheung?

Anyone have any information on his school and training methods?

Thanks,
J

John Weiland
06-06-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by J
What's the scoop on Hawkins Cheung?

Anyone have any information on his school and training methods?

Thanks,
J
Hawkins Cheung was a direct student of Yip Man. He's very friendly and outgoing like his friends from late 1950s Hong Kong, Bruce Lee and William Cheung.

I understand he's planning to retire soon. I'm not his student, so you might want to check his website for specifics:

http://www.hawkinscheung.com/

Regards,

reneritchie
06-06-2003, 02:26 PM
I heard he may have retired from teaching WCK already, and be teaching mostly Wujia Taiji. Very cool man, with incredible stories.

One of the things that impresses me most is his skill given his small size. Its one thing to see a 6'3, 200 lbs. natural athlete kick butt with WCK, but when its a barely 5', barely 100lbs, old man kicking the big dudes butt, that's inspirational!

John Weiland
06-06-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by reneritchie
Its one thing to see a 6'3, 200 lbs. natural athlete kick butt with WCK, but when its a barely 5', barely 100lbs, old man kicking the big dudes butt, that's inspirational!
Inspirational, maybe, but frustrating and unsettling, certainly. :D

Ernie
06-06-2003, 02:59 PM
i am lucky enough to work out with hawkins whenhe visits gary's school .
he comes by quite often and slaps us around ,
i am not his student but consider him a friend and he has always been very giving with me and others at my school
what would you like to know

J
06-06-2003, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I visited his school and spoke with him. He is beginning a Wu taiji program with another instructor (George Liew) in September. He didn't say anything about retiring from instructing wing chun, but he may be slowing it down. He has removed a day of wing chun instruction in his schedule. I'll have to ask him if I decide to join his school.

Ernie: Are you in Los Angeles? Who is Gary?

Thanks,
J

Ernie
06-06-2003, 04:27 PM
J
yep i'm in l.a.
gary lam is my wing chun coach out in mont. park

cha kuen
06-08-2003, 12:29 AM
Ernie,

Have you had your sifu gary lam read your palm before? He does that stuff , it's interesting!!! I watn to learn. =]

Ernie
06-08-2003, 01:01 AM
he did once just for kicks but i'm not into that stuff
alot of people come by to see him for that
the whole five element thing
not my cup of tea but to each there own
i'm still in awe of his fighting skill
the other stuff's not for me
i come from a family of santeria '' cuban voodoo '' but i never bought into any of the mystical stuff

mun hung
06-10-2003, 12:18 AM
Hawkins Cheung is a very nice guy, and a good friend of My SiFu Allan Lee. He has a great sense of humor and cracked me up with some of his stories. He indeed has many good stories to tell about the good old days. He also has many ideas on Wing Chun theory. I wouldn't say he's barely 5' tall though. I think he's more like 5' 4.