PDA

View Full Version : Purpose of Forms

weightvest
06-06-2003, 05:03 PM
I have seen a lot of what I feel is a big misunderstanding about the purpose of forms in kungfu and the way people regard kungfu as a whole.

The two most common things I see are "Is kungfu good for the street", and Shaolin teachers teaching their students that the forms are the way we fight.

In the Army they have marching, in music - scales, in kungfu - forms. Forms work the same way as these other two things.

In the example of music, we learn scales to build up rythms, co-ordination, and the ability to play and improvise music. the more we practise scales, the better we are at improvising, sight-reading and playing compositions. This is because we are giving ourselves a platform from which to work. We become so familiar with the notes A-B-C-D-E-F-G that we can easily change the order with consistency G-E-A-F-D-B-C or even add in sharps and minors in between notes, without even having to think or hesitate.

Forms provide us with that same ability if we practise them over and over and over. While it is good to practise single kicks, punches etc (learning each individual note A, then B, then C) it does not give us flow. Prctising combinations over and over (punch, kick, grab headlock) without forms is locking ourselves into a set piece, not giving us the same ability to improvise and "flow".

In answering the first question, I believe that if taught correctly, kungfu stands more chance on the street than any other martial art.

Let's consider things from a fighting standpoint. Take, for example, this key factor: "street" teaches a lot fo brawling and grappling, ground-work / wrestling. To me all these things are not 'fighting" but more shows of strength than anything. I back this up by pointing out that Kungfu styles made purely for fighting have little or no grappling, wrestling and ground work. Why? A real fight wants to be ended as fast as possible so you don't get hurt yourself BANG it's over. Ba Gua, Hsing-I, Pak Mei... all arts that "First hit doesn't kill you, second one will."

yet, street is very brutal (hence why it's "street"). We need to be able to act fast without thought to the situation that hits us. In an instant we need to rely 100% on our ability to flow without thinking. This come through practiaing forms.

Sparring, to me, is not a good way to practise "street". Sparring unlike street, is pre-emptive. It is toe to toe, regulated exercise. Yes, it can help with passive things like speed, movement etc, but to really survive street, you need to move without thinking, flow without hesitation.

So I feel the way to get the most out of kungfu is this: practsie forms every day then forget about them; do a bit of sparring here and there just to keep you on your toes,; have a biff with a friend once in a while to keep your wits up. The key, ultimately, is to just have faith that it will allwork if you just learn to let go.

SanSoo Student
06-06-2003, 11:43 PM
Forms are a way to help train a person subconsciously.
They help develop your movement and rhythm to fighting instinctually. You would usually practice a form until you memorized it, and that would be a part of you subconsciously: so when you do get neveruous in a fight you will do what is the most natural/instinct movement for your body.

weightvest
06-07-2003, 01:18 AM
That's right, learning as subconcious is what Chinese call "by heart".

Generally it is said in China:

Westerners learn by mind, Chinese by heart: different roads yet same outcome.

Shuul Vis
06-13-2003, 05:53 PM
Do you at least go over the applications of the forms?

Every single day?

Golden Arms
06-17-2003, 10:39 AM
Bagua and Hsing I dont have takedowns? Several bagua masters are KNOWN for their fierce throws and takedowns! Forms are good for a lot of things..and all of them will manifest for anyone that takes the time to practice them if possible, at least one to three times, consistantly, every single day or as close to it as possible. Forms hold the key to your styles' strategies, mindset, range, etc..and generally the people that wonder too much about their use are in the 3 or less years of kung fu range, or else they dont study kung fu at all. It is not the only effective training method..but they are a very effective one..and one that can be useful since you can teach someone all those things without having to explain applications, names of techniques and all that, if they just practice a lot.

HuangKaiVun
06-17-2003, 12:49 PM
As a professional jazz and classical musician, I can accurately state that practicing a scale alone will not allow a person to reconfigure it on the fly.

It takes a certain type of muscle memory to do a scale right in sequence. Break that sequence and you're dealing with a whole new set of parameters.

The same holds true for kung fu sets. You can be the best forms competitor of all time and not be able to fight right. This is because simply getting from the beginning to the end of a form doesn't mean that you understand timing/distancing. Or the amount of power you need to do damage. Or what to do if the opponent (heaven forbid!!) COUNTERS. Or or or. . .

I regularly break sets apart in my school and have people work on the individualized concepts. I do the same when practicing for jazz as well.