PDA

View Full Version : Nan Dao

Ng Mui
06-07-2003, 04:01 AM
Does anyone know where I could find a Nan Dao made with combat steel as opposed to those flimsy competition blades?

Thanks

ngokfei
06-07-2003, 08:58 AM
Saw one in NYC Chinatown.

It was either in Bak Lei tat (blt) or Bak Lei Bo (BLB)

It looked big and heavy

don't remeber the price though.

saolim
07-30-2003, 02:49 AM
I think it will be hard to find a Nan Dao made with combat steel, since the Nan Dao is a fairly recent design, especially designed for the competition design. If I'm not mistaken, that is.

It is losely based on traditional Southern Style swords, but never existed in it's present form before the competition routine was disigned. So combat steel Nan Dao, implying that this of sword was once used in actual combat, would be a very special sword ...

South Paw
07-30-2003, 03:24 AM
Hello Simon,

Swords like the Nandao, called Dadao (Big Knife) were already known in the early Ching Dynasty.
(Sword and Hilt Weapons, Multimediabooks, London 1993)

As far as I know there are no Nandao in combat steel, that look exactly like the Wushu Nandao and handle the same.

Regards,
Klaas

saolim
07-30-2003, 04:31 AM
Hello Klaas,

Was the model of those swords just like modern Nan Dao?

I attached (if it worked ...) a picture of two swords: upper one a modern Nan Dao. Down a modern day version of a Da Dao, after swords used even as late as the beginning of the last century.

Does the Dadao (Big Knife) you mentioned look like one of these?

Best wishes,

Simon.

Shaolinlueb
07-30-2003, 05:21 AM
i have the nando from tigerclaw, and its not that flimsy, its not thin spring steel. it actually has thickness to it. its stronger than you think.

South Paw
07-30-2003, 05:50 AM
Saolim / Simon

The Dadao I mentioned is a two handed sword with a ring-pommel, and S-shaped guard, just like the Nandao. It is only smaller and slighly curved.

An interesting article about the Dadao:
http://thomaschen.freewebspace.com/photo6.html
Although two-handed the hilt is too long.

Shaolinlueb

Actually the Nandao may not be as flimsy as a Wushu dao.

David Jamieson
07-30-2003, 07:53 AM
Here you go.

http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/452063.html

Check out some of the others that are there too.
THere are planty that are not of the wushu steel variety and are combat steel or high carbon steel like this baby.

Nice sword.

First one I bought was a cheapo chrome plated piece of junk basically, but it had weight and was ok on balance. I have since purchased a superior sword and it rocks! It is totally different than the piece of junk I learned with lol. It's lighter and I had to actually change how I moved to accomodate the set I learned to make it flow properly with a correct weapon.

It ain't like riding a bike. each sword has differences that will force you to adapt to the blade.

cheers

saolim
08-10-2003, 01:47 AM
Inresting link Klaas!

Intresting to see that the blade is almost exactly the same as the sword with the 9-rings I posted. Only a shorter hilt and no S-shape guard.

saolim
08-10-2003, 01:58 AM
Klaas,

I almost forgot: I have a dadao that I bought several years ago in Singapore that also has a longer hilt (not as long as the ones in your, but still ...) and with a ring.

Very heavy. Looks nice on the wall ... :-)

South Paw
08-10-2003, 03:03 AM
Simon,

I will post you a scan of the mentioned dadao/nandao that was pictured in the afore mentioned book. Maybe you are able to post it on this forum.

Regards,
Klaas

saolim
08-10-2003, 03:17 AM
Klaas' Nandao