PDA

View Full Version : The Sun Kik Praying Mantis Style?

CHAZ
06-07-2003, 02:19 PM
As a Choy Lee Fut practioner myself, I came across a very interesting article in an old issue of Real Kung Fu magazine(issue 7, Vol 1, 1976). The article was about the Sun Kik Praying Mantis style and its unique weapon "Dragon-slaying horse-chopping sword".

The begining of the article started thus:- The "Dragon-slaying horse-chopping sword" is a unique weapon of the Sun Kik Praying Mantis School of Martial art. The art is well-known for its Versatility and for the strength of its penetration. Whoever is chopped will be slain. According to Master Leung Choy, the art is actually a kind of advanced kung-fu of the Praying Mantis School, which is famous for its swiftness, versatility and is extremely dangerous. For many reasons, masters of this school have been extremely selective in taking on their pupils. Only a limited number of pupils have been able to master this art of the sword. This article attempts to give a detailed account of the origin of the praying mantis school and its unique weapon, the "dragon-slaying horse-chopping sword".

I was wondering does this style still exist in Hong Kong, or anywhere else in the world for that matter. And what is it like compared to its more popular sister styles. :)