PDA

View Full Version : Blidfolded Wing Chun Training

StickyHands
06-08-2003, 01:42 AM
I saw a video of Master. Wai Po Tang, and he was blindfolded. Using Wing Chun, he was using deflecting all the attacks of the multiple opponents. I can understand when being blindfolded and already having contacts with the opponent's hands, you can carry our blocks and punches, but blindfolded and completely out of contact and being ambushed by multiple opponents, how is it possible to deflect and neutralize that many? Was it staged and predetermined, demonstrative, or was this real and quite possible? Thanks.

e-Warrior
06-08-2003, 02:37 AM
Blind folded chi sao of course works. It's actually easier apparently (haven't tried it yet). But from your post, it seems he was not in contact and I don't see how that can work. I think you need your eyes in order to search for the bridge as it were.

OdderMensch
06-08-2003, 03:05 AM
Haveing never seen the video, I have no idea. It does seem possible to fight several, agressive attackers simultaniously without seeing them, but you'd likely throw a lot of empty strike, strikes at the air. Was he doing this?

hunt1
06-08-2003, 10:48 AM
Yes it is very possible to fight blindfolded. Yes you will throw many airstrikes. Ever consider that for a video the fight sequences were prearranged and rehearsed?

Alpha Dog
06-08-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by hunt1
Ever consider that for a video the fight sequences were prearranged and rehearsed?

<coughing> BRUCE LEE! ahem

StickyHands
06-08-2003, 11:41 AM
How would being blindfolded and unpredictable oncoming attacks ghouling at your centerline, face, crotch, whatever, be any easier?

StickyHands
06-08-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by hunt1
Yes it is very possible to fight blindfolded. Yes you will throw many airstrikes. Ever consider that for a video the fight sequences were prearranged and rehearsed?

Agh -_- that's why I also asked if this thing could be staged or predetermined or not.... READ!

Here is the link I saw in - http://martialartinstitute.com/Assests/video%20clips/masters%20of%20combat%20blindfold%20combat.mpg

The rest of it is: http://martialartinstitute.com/video_clips.htm

e-Warrior
06-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Looks to me as if that's choreographed.

foolinthedeck
06-08-2003, 01:20 PM
it can be done, if the opponents stuck to wing chun theres a certain predictability in it, not to say its easier than with blindfold though...

i used to know a blind guy who was excellent at chi sao, couldnt hit him.. he teaches now too so he must be better.

StickyHands
06-08-2003, 01:31 PM
ya i think there is some kind of subconscious third eye there. in psychology, although not entirely proven, but even other than our 5 senses and kinesthetic and vestibular senses, there is one more sense at work here. this is why some blind people have pretty good sense of direction where things are, that's why they dont bump into things or get run over by a car (well the ones who were able to utilize this sense, others use dogs).

OdderMensch
06-08-2003, 04:59 PM
Ok, that clip shows definite signs of choreography, not that thats a bad thing :D, but them be some weak ninja!

Hmmm, caught in a circle I can't leave, blindfolded, surrounded by ninja.......I hate days like that :(

So yeah to answer your question, that was staged.

StickyHands
06-08-2003, 05:45 PM
Well being blunt wasn't exactly my idea, I was asking from training level if it's possible. We all know those aren't real ninjas nor is he caught in the circle of death trying to escape, -_-.

OdderMensch
06-08-2003, 06:08 PM
Lets just say I think its possible, but I'd hate to have to do it, and it wouldn't look at all like that.

And I for one don't belive my subconscious third eye, If i can't see it, hear it, or feel it comeing, I'm not gonna know its there. That being said, you'd have to be very agressive if you were fighting multiple opponents blindly, so you'd want to be rushing in to any sound or feeling you got and keep the pressure on. A skilled team of aggressors, fighing as a team could probably trap you pretty quick if you gave them any time at all to do so. I'd say my chances of getting out of a situation like that are slightly better than average, but the average chance isn't so hot :(

Phil Redmond
06-08-2003, 06:37 PM
Of course it's choreographed and/or the attacker are cooperating
It seems like he's just promoting himself. Nothing wrong with that.

Phil

kj
06-08-2003, 07:05 PM
See through cloth. ;)

Regards,
- kj

StickyHands
06-08-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by OdderMensch
Lets just say I think its possible, but I'd hate to have to do it, and it wouldn't look at all like that.

And I for one don't belive my subconscious third eye, If i can't see it, hear it, or feel it comeing, I'm not gonna know its there. That being said, you'd have to be very agressive if you were fighting multiple opponents blindly, so you'd want to be rushing in to any sound or feeling you got and keep the pressure on. A skilled team of aggressors, fighing as a team could probably trap you pretty quick if you gave them any time at all to do so. I'd say my chances of getting out of a situation like that are slightly better than average, but the average chance isn't so hot :(

the subconscious third eye is an euphemism of mine, I meant it as that's why blind people's other senses get very intense when they lose vision, sometimes it seems like they can sense through something like sonar (another euphemism), well this happens blind people that are indepenent, may be it's the new lifestyle.

OdderMensch
06-08-2003, 10:48 PM
My bad, I post at a skeptics forum of late, so I my be pickey sometimes.

I view the 'third eye' as a memory thing to some extent, knowing where a door is or haveing a good head for numbers and counting steps. I've know two blind people and the differed on the idea of the other senses enhanceing, one thought they did, the other that you just paid more attention to the other senses. Functionally however, its the same thing.

We do a drill early on in our kwoon called the 'self defense triangle' where on person fends off two attackers that are grabbing them constantly. The idea is to control your sense of balance, the feeeling of both loseing and recovering your balance. You also start to feel for body cues, like slideing up the arms to the neck/head. I wonder what that would look like in the dark?

But if I were blind, i'd want a stick, so that I could feel and hear things in my way. Ezen Zatoitchi used a stick :D

StickyHands
06-08-2003, 11:36 PM
So did Daredevil to create sonar vibration, lol.

mortal
06-09-2003, 11:35 AM
Sifu Jose Grados sparrs blindfolded all the time and no one can touch him.

Deathrobe
06-09-2003, 11:57 AM
I have always trained chi sao looking away from my partner sometimes i just close my eyes.

By looking away u can still see sorta whats going on but your vision isnt fixated on anything. also when u arent looking you are less likely to follow someones hands.

The only time i watch is if im helping someone however even then i can feel if there forcing to much or if there elbows are moving to sporatically or if there off balance u dont need vision for that.

KenWingJitsu
06-09-2003, 05:52 PM
lol @ thinking that wasnt choreographed.

Sifu Jose Grados sparrs blindfolded all the time and no one can touch him.
Ahem.. chi-sao isnt "sparring".

canglong
06-09-2003, 06:15 PM
In other words can someone address and protect their gates before contact? Can a blind person learn Wing Chun? I would think so.

Mr Punch
06-10-2003, 04:32 AM
:cool:
I can smell your punch!
:D