PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Lee's losses

Diamond Dragon
06-08-2003, 08:08 AM
I know that Bruce Lee had won many fights but how about his losses? Who did win a fight against him and what style did they have, what strategy did they use to win from him?

chen zhen
06-08-2003, 09:25 AM
I think he lost some HK challenge matches, while he still was young and new to fighting and WC. I saw it in some article written by Wong Shun Leung. He had some draws too, in that period.

rogue
06-08-2003, 07:00 PM
I believe that he lost best picture to The French Connection in '72 and The Godfather in '73. I personally think it was a conspiracy.

Dark Knight
06-09-2003, 01:15 PM
Gene LaBelle took him down on the set of the green hornet. They became friends and Gene taught him a lot of Judo.

chen zhen
06-09-2003, 03:02 PM
He did'nt take him "down", in that way. he put BL over his shoulder and ran around the set for 15 minutes or so. He even had conversations with the producers with BL hanging and screaming over his shoulder. That must have been hilarious to watch!:D

LEGEND
06-10-2003, 02:35 PM
In Bruce's biography...Robert Lee once said Bruce use to get into many fights as a teenager...he won some...he lost some. In training...his seniors William Cheung and Wong Shun Leung use to beat or frustrate him. After he came to the states he changed his workout incorporating western boxing and fencing. Hawkins Cheung stated that Bruce's game was totally different...gone was the wing chun stance...he was more explosive and faster. As Bruce explained it in the WEST...the people were generally larger than his HK opponent...he had KO power but the only way he would get close enuf was to INTERCEPT/READ his opponent. Bruce felt he couldn't go toe to toe with larger opponents so he had to get in and finish it thru a setup...or feint.

chen zhen
06-20-2003, 03:47 AM
this article is good to show how he did in early challenge-matches (http://www.hawkinscheung.com/html/hcarticle1.htm)

Kristoffer
06-26-2003, 04:51 AM
wow.. there's no way I'm gonna read all that

Kristoffer
06-26-2003, 04:53 AM
**** I'm bored..

chen zhen
07-05-2003, 11:34 AM
Then don't!
lol:D

Pilgrim
07-10-2003, 10:28 PM
This certainly opens up a can of worms . go to www.kungfu.net, look under resources and go to the articles. I wasn't there and i don't care what happenned, that stuff should be personal.

Ford Prefect
07-17-2003, 08:58 AM
I think anybody that trains in a full contact environment as frequently as Bruce did will have plenty of losses. That's what training is all about.

Diamond Dragon
07-24-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
I think anybody that trains in a full contact environment as frequently as Bruce did will have plenty of losses. That's what training is all about.

Yes, I think that I can agree with that. Besides you learn from your mistakes. That's probably one of the reasons that made him such a good fighter.

LEGEND
08-03-2003, 09:54 AM
Chuck Norris in his autobio INNER SPIRIT or sumthang wrote about how when they played spar...Bruce had trouble with spinning kicks...but within an hour adapted and countered.

Ego_Extrodinaire
08-05-2003, 04:18 AM
Legend,

It's hard to imagine that someone like Bruce Lee who is held in such high regard by hard core players in JKD actually had such a controversial fighting track record.

I don't need to proof if his record is real or false, but statements like fighting a lot when he was a kid or being rather fast doesn't make one spectecular. I know of a local punk in myu neighbor hood who did just that, he got famous when Hollywood discovered him maybe one day he'll be held in as high a regard as Bruce Lee.

Don't you think this Bruce Lee fan fare is a case of Hollywood large than life syndrome. Although he's dead he's still the king of Kung Fu, in a similar way that Elvis is still the King of rock & roll.

Ego_Extrodinaire
08-19-2003, 06:50 AM
Tony M,

Won't you be in trouble if you meet a killer who is Bruce Lee's student? But don't worry, you'll stand a chance if you can fight your way out of a wet paper bag.

Better you start learning some real kung fu. You must be really crap.

BAI HE
08-19-2003, 07:51 AM
Ego, get sick of torturing the SKF boys? LOL

LEGEND
08-19-2003, 04:13 PM
EGO...I don't care to much about what people think of Bruce Lee. I just simply read a lot of shiet...and just posting up what I read. In terms of was Bruce GOOD??? Most of his peers said he could fight. But I personally never sparred him. Kinda like basketball...u hear of the RINGERs in the playground but until u play against them u're not sure. That's why I love training with the MMA guys...they simply ask u to spar.

method man
08-21-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Diamond Dragon
I know that Bruce Lee had won many fights but how about his losses? Who did win a fight against him and what style did they have, what strategy did they use to win from him?

when youre the star and choreographer with the clout and calling the shots lets see how many fights you lose

Ego_Extrodinaire
08-23-2003, 12:04 AM
From the various post, it does seem that few have seen Bruce Lee fight. Those who do have refer to his movies. The fight on the film set was not even serious. The quality of Bruce Lee's fighting abilities cannot be substantiated. There was one person who can't fight out of a wet paper bag and obviously lost to one of his students during sparring. The students BL had were fellow film stars anyway. Hollywood goss said he's great and the rest of the world believed it. If he were alive today, he'll make a career in politics - there are enough fans on this forum to vote him in, maybe come out second to Elvis.