PDA

View Full Version : Where did BL get savate from?

chen zhen
06-08-2003, 09:28 AM
It is often mentioned that some savate techs was a part of the original Jun Fan curriculum, and that BL incorporated savate kicks and concepts into his fighting style. But where did BL learn these kicks from? I don't think there where any savate schools in the US in the 60s-early 70s..?

foolinthedeck
06-08-2003, 01:47 PM
maybe he read a book,
seriously though, bruce was very well read. and savate (its a spanish style right?) would have been accessible in the same way that pancration is.

Laughing Cow
06-08-2003, 02:17 PM
Savate is french and I think it was practised or at least well known in the states as I remember some comic heroes being credited with using this style.

Doc Savage comes to mind.
:D

chen zhen
06-09-2003, 03:18 AM
comic heroes? did'nt know that.
I don't think bruce read comic books and copied the moves from there:D

Laughing Cow
06-09-2003, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by chen zhen
comic heroes? did'nt know that.
I don't think bruce read comic books and copied the moves from there:D

Neither do I, but Savate was a fairly common style at one time.

Black Jack
06-09-2003, 11:06 AM
Savate is a French style not spanish and I am sure their were savate teachers here in the U.S. WAY before the 60's.

Going back to the French which stayed and settled in America.

foolinthedeck
06-09-2003, 04:09 PM
well there was french soldiers in the americas long before it was called the USA so anythings possible. :>

Ernie
06-23-2003, 02:12 PM
bruce had books on savate in his library , were they came from who knows , but i rcall dan talking about this during a seminar i was at . he liked the trajectory and deceptivness of savate even had metal inserts put into some sneakers .