PDA

View Full Version : Ba gua video review wanted

Anthroman
06-08-2003, 10:26 AM
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the following ba gua videos available from plumflower:

The Principles of Ba Gua Zhang Fighting video with Ba Gua expert Luo De Xiu

Gao Style Ba Gua Zhang: Practice and Application
video with Ba Gua expert Luo De Xiu

The Sixty-Four Qinna Attack Methods of Yin Style Bagua
by Xie Peiqi

The Lion System Strengthening ExercisesofYin Style Bagua
by Xie Peiqi

The Lion System BASIC PRACTICES ofYin Style Bagua
by Xie Peiqi

Thank you

Buddy Tripp
06-15-2003, 07:06 AM
Luo Dexiu's are the best videos on Bagua, period. Clear and to the point, they are an excellent introduction to authentic Baguazhang and a great addition to actual training in Gao style bagua. Stay tuned for his upcoming Xingyi dvds. BTW Luo Laoshi is giving seminars all over the country this summer including in Boston.
Buddy

count
06-15-2003, 09:18 AM
Anthroman,
Luo's video's are full of practical and usful stuff. I recommend them. Xie's video's are not bad either with a more traditional appraoch. I might also recommend Novell Bell's (Blacktaoist) Yin style video's. They are full of good stuff from form to training methods to practical applications. Since you are in Evanston, heve you been to check out Choi for bagua? You'd get a lot more from a visit than any video.

Leimeng
06-17-2003, 12:44 AM
~ To echo Count on one of his points... Find a good teacher first before you do the video route. Sadly, there are VERY few GOOD teachers of Bagua in the USA.
~ Dr Xie's videos are all top notch. The information is a good foundation of BaGua and from my personal experiance, Dr Xie and He Jinbao are the real deal. They can hit very hard and know what they are doing.

Peace,

Sin Loi

Yi Beng, Kan Xue

looking_up
06-17-2003, 11:03 AM
Do you think it is possible to pick up the basics of bagua through periodic visits with a master (let's say avg. one visit every one to two months)?

I've read stories about past masters, where they are taught one or two things to work on for as long as a year, once they've mastered that they are taught the next element, etc.

I would like to visit with master Choi in Chicago to learn either some xingyi basics or bagua circle walking. However, I really can't afford to visit more than everyt month or two at the most, and I wonder if it's even worth it to see him just a few times.

Anyone?