PDA

View Full Version : wave punch

David Jamieson
06-09-2003, 05:24 AM
some of us are familiar with this punch, but i wonder if we practice it in the same way?

I was watching some practitioners use it in a form and as I watched, I noticed that all the people had a different way of utilizing the punch in the form they were doing.

some people used the lead arm as a stick and block with a short backfist and the follow hand as a cannon fist.

other people were using both the lead and the follow hands as direct punchs

and some were using the lead as and out side forearm strike with teh cannon fist following through.

so. How do you use your wave punch?

cheers

Oso
06-09-2003, 10:16 AM
KL,

if I understand your discriptions correctly, I would gravitate towards this movement more than the others:

some people used the lead arm as a stick and block with a short backfist and the follow hand as a cannon fist.

but I don't call it a wave punch, never heard of that exactly...water punches as hsing yi?? or water punches as hung gar?? {which, imo/ime, are very similar in theory}

I will commonly use the lead hand to deflect/block an attack and then depending on the response

--stick, lift and follow under with the cannon

--stick, press down, and strike with a palm from the follow hand

just thought I'd bite since you were getting ready to drop off of page 1:)

David Jamieson
06-09-2003, 02:32 PM
*bink - ttt

Chang Style Novice
06-09-2003, 02:37 PM
I'm afeared I have no idea what you mean by a wave punch.

WuMan
06-09-2003, 10:55 PM
I am not sure if this is a correct description, but its continuous strikes/blocks in the movement of a wave, so one arm goes down and the other comes up. There is a "shui long pao chui" section in my Ten Poisionous Hands form.

David Jamieson
06-10-2003, 05:37 AM
I would think that there are various descriptions of the associated technique.

I am most familiar with it as a double fisted strike.
a backfist high and an uppercut low.

Or in the fashion of a deflect with the lead arm, stick and strike while punching to the mid-section with the following hand.

I have also seen it (a wave punch) not used as a double strike but rather a series of different punches one after another. eg: a downward horizontal straight fist, wrapping into a back fist on contact and returning again as a straight punch or a canon fist.

interesting
please continue

cheers

Judge Pen
06-10-2003, 06:46 AM
I haven't heard of the same terminology, but your description did bring my Hsing-I linkage form to mind.

Oso
06-10-2003, 07:48 AM
JP, but it really most describes the basic 'fire' movement not water, as I've been taught at least. Although, fire is usually initially a rising/lifting deflection then a punch to the center via wood but a water punch could be used as well.

as well as any kick.

i've also got some monkey movement done from kneeling with basically the same rising/lifting w/ the lead hand and punching with the following hand. The difference mainly is the advancing kneeling stance...the knee that is up advances forward to strike feet/shins/knee and the knee that was down will rise up...repeat alternating knees and alternating hands i.e. the punching hand becomes the rising lifting hand as the rising lifting hand becomes the punching hand.

Judge Pen
06-10-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Oso
JP, but it really most describes the basic 'fire' movement not water, as I've been taught at least. Although, fire is usually initially a rising/lifting deflection then a punch to the center via wood but a water punch could be used as well.

You are right; it seems to describe what we call Cannon fist or the fire element, and at one point in my Linkage form we go from Fire to Water in quick succession and that seemed to resemble what was described. Of course I could be way off.

GeneChing
06-10-2003, 09:51 AM
I just came back from the Zhang San Feng Festival in PA last weekend and I had a discussion with Hop Gar master David Chin on this very topic. Since Hop Gar has a Tibetan root, it has a very different feel than most Chinese styles. Anyway, their take on the wave punch was much different than the Hung Gar version that I was used to, and seems to be very key to the power of Hop Gar. He showed me a few things, but not enough that I could really transmit it here. Seemed pretty effective though. Perhaps, you might take up this discussion on the Southern forum, or with some Hop Gar people.