PDA

View Full Version : matt thorntons pummeling tape

bougeac
06-09-2003, 05:48 AM
watched an excellent tape on fighting in the clinch range produced by matt thorntons strait blast gym, the tool they use to train this range is a method i believe taken from wrestling called "pummeling", the range youre dealing with here is probably the last before the fight hit's the ground and is therefore pretty important..

pummeling is not a million miles away from chi sau/push hands in that you are using sensitivity to work out how to obtain the best position in the clinch (the under hook), i can see lots of ways how studying the pummel can help my wing chun studies...

if you get the chance check this tape out (the part on attached hitting is awesome, lots of elbows and knees), i believe if you can control this range well, the chances of you ending up on the ground will be reduced markedly...

also check out his tape on "aliveness" in training, VERY interesting..

im not on commission or anything!!, these tapes are just very good and i think we can all learn something from them...

Haggis
06-09-2003, 08:09 AM
Pummeling does indeed blend well with chi sau, assuming the way you practice chi sau is not pat-a-cake, and involves actual hitting and proper footwork.

So can Filipino hubud drills.

The overall practice would horrify most WC players, but can be quite beneficial in developing sensitivity. Plus when you involve the pummeling you have an instant entry into takedown range, which also can employ chi gerk skills in avoiding said takedowns.

"To a workman who only has a hammer, everything begins to resemble a nail"

Haggis

KenWingJitsu
06-09-2003, 11:41 AM
Well said. I have the tape. A must have for all Winch chunners is the clinch tape, if you want to avoid being taken down.

Ultimatewingchun
06-09-2003, 01:28 PM
Ken:

Interested in seeing this tape - where can I find it?

anerlich
06-09-2003, 04:05 PM
What is IMO an excellent article on the importance of having a strategy for the clinch can be found at:

http://www.realfighting.com/0503/jdanaherframe.html

Victor, I'd presume you'd be able to get this tape at Matt Thornton's site www.straightblastgym.com. Good site, BTW.