PDA

View Full Version : St. Anger

jun_erh
06-09-2003, 01:17 PM
I like this song. I always liked Slayer a little more than Metallica, but liked Metallica alot too. I didn't really follow them starting with the Black album. I like the weird time signature on the clean part. The "Flush it out!!Flush it out!!" is weird and loud but the jury's still out I guess. I like the tuff part. That's the best part. dunga dunga dunga dunga

yenhoi
06-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Its rockin man.

:eek:

txwingchun
06-09-2003, 02:02 PM
I think it's some of the shi tiest work yet. I didn't think they could out do themselves in shi t department but they did. And what's wrong with Lars in that video is he constipated? Or is that stick up his a ss finally getting to uncomfortable for him.

Chang Style Novice
06-09-2003, 02:07 PM
My best metalhead connection thought it sucked. I haven't paid attention to Metallica since "And Justice For All" myself.

norther practitioner
06-09-2003, 02:19 PM
Who of the "Metalheads" enjoyed or even watched the mtv icon thing....

txwingchun
06-09-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
Who of the "Metalheads" enjoyed or even watched the mtv icon thing....

Nope I didn't bother. But then I really don't watch mtv either.

jun_erh
06-09-2003, 03:06 PM
that snoop dogg tribute was the worst thing I've ever seen!! hahaha his heart was in the right place I guess. He shuold have just done that song "MC Conditioner" w/ ODB instead

Hit a nigga late-ah he got ta vacate -ah
old dirty carborateur

I pee the bed
I'm frustrated
29 years no educated
What a waste I'm up in ya face like "What!!!"

WTJune
06-10-2003, 02:10 AM
i think most of the old metallica fans waited for this album - loud and hard... and some uptempo...

@jun_erh....do you know dave lambardo from slayer (the drummer) - i've already played as Support for his Grip inc. a few years ago... :D - he's much better then Lars - Lars sucks...

Ben Gash
06-10-2003, 02:28 AM
I think it's great, seriously heavy in places with some nicely ambient clean sections. The new bassist is prett cool as well.
You may not like metallica's style, but they're undoubtedly musically talented (far more than slayer- I'd take Kirk and James over Kerry and Jeff anyday) and write good stuff.
Anyone heard the new Deftones stuff? Now THAT's heavy.

Nevermind
06-10-2003, 06:47 AM
Like the cd or not, you can't accuse them of wussing out and not delivering something hard. I'll take "Frantic" over some Bob Seger remake anyday. Something about that line he repeats, "my lifestyle determines my deathstyle". Hardcore. Metal fans can be pretty fickle. I think Metallica lost a lot of respect with some fans when they blew up and became this mega successful rock band. No matter how hard of an album they make in the future, some fans will probably never forgive them for changing their sound on the last few albums in order to get more airplay. At least St. Anger takes them back to their hardcore roots. I ain't mad at em'.

jun_erh
06-10-2003, 10:19 AM
I've only heard the one song. Yes Dave Lombardo is one of the few distinct drummers in that type of metal. Lars less so, but I think he does alot with the arrange/ writing etc. But I think the hard rock direction of their last couple albums is also on him. The new bass player I like alot more than Jason Newsted.

red5angel
06-10-2003, 10:22 AM
txwingchun, how do you really feel? :)

I haven't heard this song yet, is it available on the net for download?
On the metallica note, it didn't bother me so much that they sort of sold out after Black, they earned it. However I don't listen much to anything beyond that album, a few songs here and there. I don't mind the sound change either when it comes down to it, alot of bands fail to adapt to the times and get lost along the way.

WTJune
06-10-2003, 11:31 PM
jun_erh: your'r right with lars, but what i think his biggest problem is - as a pro have to play live like a pro - for example if you take the live album with the orchestra - he makes alot mistakes in almost every song there are 2 or 3..... and that is what i think he has to work on. On the other hand if you take dave - on the concert i wrote before - he played very good without mistakes - after the concert he shaked hand with every one and left to the hotel.... :D

I'm not a big metallica fan, but i think the new bass player works good with the band, i've heard he played with ozzy and suicidal....

ciao and greets from austria

june

Chang Style Novice
06-18-2003, 08:23 AM
Niiiiiiice album cover!

Shaolin-Do
06-18-2003, 08:38 AM
Metal heads up north must be panzies

:)

hehe... My metal head friends (thats who I usually call to drop kegs with, they are fun drinkers) all hate metallica... call it alternative crap. Sounds very "garage band" like to me... The new deftones album? dissapointed the hell outta me. Not near as good, nor hardcore as I had hoped.
Metal - Slayer, hate breed, mudvayne, soulfly, snot, tool..... Slipknot would be like neo-deathmetal I guess.....

shaolin kungfu
06-18-2003, 08:42 AM
Mettalica's ok, but could stand to be a little harder.

mudvayne's good. Slipknot scares me when I see them, but they sound pretty good.

Edit: hey! who you callin a pansy!:mad: :)

ewallace
06-18-2003, 09:15 AM
I've finally heard the whole cd a couple times now and here are my thoughts.

1. Metallica never sold out. They have always done what they wanted. I have not liked much since Justice, but sell out they did not. All the so-called "Old School" metallica fans who accused them of "selling out" should now insert feet into mouth. Almost every one of them has most likely never played in a real band that has performed real shows. You can only write the same sounding stuff so many times.

2. I'm kind of an old-school metallica fan. My first taste was when master of puppets had come out.

3. If I were a fly on the wall of a garage jam session about 20 years ago, St. Anger is about what I would expect to hear, which is very, very cool.

4. The recording sucks, and the drums don't sound very well tuned, but most of the riffs are very cool.

St. Anger is kind of a mix between kill 'em all, ride the lightning, master of puppets, and slipknot. It's like metallica got back to their roots, set up in a garage, used a friends 16 track recorder, and did only one take of each song, with no editing afterwards. There are not too many multi...multi-million dollar bands that would have the cojones to put out an album like this.

In a nutshell, if you are an old metallica fan wishing for the return to the glory days, wish no more.

As for the current metal acts, sepultura sucks without Max (saw them last year) I still have the orginal, first release cassette tape of beneath the remains too. Soulfly is pretty cool because they have Max. Mudvayne, Slipknot and especially Pantera are great.

WinterPalm
06-18-2003, 09:58 AM
I'd purchase a copy of St. Wanker if it had that on the cover and there was a whole new band with different songs, different faces, different instruments and a different name. These guys blow the fat one. Has anybody seen that commerical with Ulrich stealing that guys stuff? Going to see Metallica is like invading Iraq, it's just plain wrong, morally, finanically and just like Iraq, you'll lost some good long term friends.

What about this guy?
http://www.mansonusa.com/?page=viewimage&genre=promo&era=tgaog&num=054

Now that evil mickey mouse is more hardcore than any Metallica song could ever be.

Xebsball
06-18-2003, 08:01 PM
HE NEVER GETS REEEZZPEEEECT

rogue
06-18-2003, 08:13 PM
I started liking Metallica after the black album. My favorite Metallica album is S&M. Start throwing those rocks!

Serpent
06-18-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by rogue
I started liking Metallica after the black album. My favorite Metallica album is S&M. Start throwing those rocks!

You're the sort that real Metallica fans hate!

St Anger is a pretty lame album IMO. It has some high points, it has the occasional glimpse of old glory which makes it far better than anything form them in a while, but it's a bit disappointing overall. And what the hell is with that drum sound!?

ewallace
06-19-2003, 06:31 AM
Naw serpent. Real metallica fans hate those whose favorite metallica song is One.

red5angel
06-19-2003, 06:36 AM
Exallace, I hate to break this to you but sell out they did. Lars is a business man now, it's all about business with him anymore. Listen to interviews, he barely talks about music.
Black was ok, but Load? You can't tell me that wasn't Metallica trying to establish a new image by playing whats popular. It doesn't mean I don't like it, or realy care all that much. I don't mind the new sound although the albums up to Justice are the best and Nothing beats Master of Puppets in my book.

Slayer, hate breed, mudvayne, soulfly, snot, tool..... Slipknot

Shaolin-do, neo death metal, these bands? Are you out of your mind?! Cannibal Corpse would impale you on stage for that!

ewallace
06-19-2003, 06:43 AM
So I guess since I'm a programmer now, and have short hair, that I'm a sellout since I don't have long hair anymore, no longer play underground hardcore shows, and I am not broke and I shower?:)

People change. Some for the worse, as in Lars case. But then again he never seemed that bright to begin with. Changing is not selling out.

Nevermind
06-19-2003, 06:46 AM
It's loud, hard, angry, and thrashy. That's all I asked for and they delivered. I must say that although I prefer old school Metallica, I did really like "Ain't My B!tch" and "Fuel". It's not like they didn't make good music on the last few albums, it just wasn't the sound I preferred from them. How much you wanna' bet that ten years from now "old school" Mudvayne fans will be talking about how much they suck now that they've blew up? It happens all the time.

red5angel
06-19-2003, 07:11 AM
For the most part Ewallace I would agree with you, while metallica had a steady "sound" even their earlier albums changed, from "Kill Em All" to "And Justice for All" their sound changed quite a bit. However the popular taste in music changed drastically in the early 90's and Metallica cashed in on that. Like I said, I don't have a problem with it, I enjoy the new stuff although haven't bought a new album since Load, and I think the guys have earned it to be totally honest.
As we all know you sold out a long long time ago and became a corporate ***** ;)

red5angel
06-19-2003, 07:12 AM
that's right, I said corporate *****, what are you going to do about it tough guy? :mad: :D

The Yellow Dart
06-19-2003, 07:12 AM
I just can't get past the sh i tty production, and Hetfield just sounds, I don't know, like he's trying too hard to sing.

Still, St. Anger's probably a step in the right direction. Until the next one comes out, I'll just give Master of Puppets another spin :cool:

ewallace
06-19-2003, 07:16 AM
what are you going to do about it tough guy?
I will encourage the spurs to pick up Kevin Garnett when he becomes a free agent at the end of next season.

red5angel
06-19-2003, 07:17 AM
Thats it! As soon as my boss will let me go to lunch I'm coming for you!!

keeerist I hope they do, then I don't have to hear about his spoiled a$$ on the news every night.