PDA

View Full Version : Warmup

norther practitioner
06-09-2003, 01:48 PM
A question:
If you don't mind, can you guys post some of your warmup routines?

I'm looking for a prestretch routine, something that will get the blood flowing before stretches. It would be to start class with, we are trying to come up with a good "Daily dozen." Like jumping jacks, neck twirls, shoulder rotations, etc.

Thanks in advance,

NP

Shuul Vis
06-09-2003, 02:08 PM
I usually dont warm up, that way if i pull something or im really sore the next day....then i know i did a great job working out. lol

Chang Style Novice
06-09-2003, 02:13 PM
Eight Pieces Silk Brocade Qigong.

David Jamieson
06-09-2003, 02:22 PM
a little running on the spot, a few jumping jacks, knee rotations, and some gentle spine rotation and flexing (chi kung), a few pushups, some situps, some leg raises, then start your stretches.

a cardio vascular warmup is a great thing before stretching and then heading into whatever it is you want to work on.

cheers

GLW
06-09-2003, 02:48 PM
joint rotations....followed by leg swinging...gentle...

then Ya Tui (leg pressing on the bar)

Then MORE warmups....

red5angel
06-09-2003, 02:59 PM
Chen Taichi...

norther practitioner
06-09-2003, 03:29 PM
Thanks guys, much appreciated, most of the stuff we're doing, I need to organize it more....:D

yenhoi
06-09-2003, 04:20 PM
Arm twists and shoulder rolling
waist twists
stretch legs
more waist twists (variations)
cat stretching
back bends
arm stretching

twirl sticks

shadowbox

jump rope

light up the muthafukin heavy bag, a little.

:eek:

Oso
06-09-2003, 05:57 PM
150 jumping jacks, fast, in less than 2 minutes.

As many pushups as each student, and instructor:), can do on the fists and toes. Then a drop set of as many as you can do on your knees.

60-100 abs of some sort

then stance training(mondays) or wei gung(wednesdays).

then stretch.

SaMantis
06-10-2003, 05:53 AM
Wow ... intense, Oso. But there is a structure to it, with the alternate warmups on Mondays & Wednesdays.

My own warmups (before class): I basically start at the top and work downward ...

50 jumping jacks
neck stretch
shoulder rolls
arm rotation
wrist rolls
waist rotation
knee rotation
ankle rotation

... then I stretch back up: toes, calves, thighs, hamstrings, groin, lower back, torso, arms, neck.

This was the stretching routine at the start of beginner classes. Intermediate classes (so far) alternate between cardio days and basics (stances & deeper stretches).

I agree with CSN too, 8 Section Brocade is also a good way to start warmups.

bodhitree
06-10-2003, 06:01 AM
For external style practice warm up
joint rotation
Pnf stretching
motion stretching (cressent kicks ect.)
then I pick a form and do it 3 or 4 times
then workout!

For internal (sometimes seated still meditation first)
Joint rotation
static stretching
Qigong
the workout
stretching (static)

infinet
06-10-2003, 06:41 AM
1. Skip - 4 Rounds, 30 Push-ups Between Rounds
2. Regualr Squats - 50
3. 3 - Level Push-ups - 3x10
4. Crunches - 50 reps.
5. Jump Squats - 2x30
6. Hip Lift - 30 reps.
7. Alt. Crunches R.C.L. - 60 reps.
8. Side Crunches - 30
9. Bike - 60 reps.
10. Chin-ups - 3x10
11. Hanging Leg Lift - 20 reps.

norther practitioner
06-10-2003, 09:30 AM
Thanks again guys.....:)

Oso
06-10-2003, 01:27 PM
SaMantis,

if I get a new person in to class I adjust as needed for the first few classes to get them acclimated....or in the case of the very fit looking late 20's guy that was in last night, I stuck to the plan.

for an external style I feel there is a minimum required fitness level.

norther practitioner
06-10-2003, 05:58 PM
for an external style I feel there is a minimum required fitness level.
True in a sense, but you would still start someone who was less than that level of fitness.... You couldn't ask a beginner to just learn butterfly kicks persay....

We ask everyone to do the warmup and conditioning, they stop when they need to..... which in retrospect might not push them 100% but that is on them in a lot of ways.

Oso
06-10-2003, 07:29 PM
NP, I agree. I never force someone to do what they can't. like I said

if I get a new person in to class I adjust as needed for the first few classes

But, I do identify to new students where I feel they need to be at some point.

oh, and our first kicks are the ubiquitous front, side and round.

butterfly is a couple of years in...:)

norther practitioner
06-10-2003, 07:46 PM
I do identify to new students where I feel they need to be at some point.

So you have to also be looking for students who want to definitely get to advanced levels......

I think we are going towards this, I've gotten to a combo thats giving me problems...... I know I just need to be more athletic, I could see it discouraging some.... then again motivate those who like to advance. I'm guessing that people would get hung up at a level if there skill and athletisism doesn't progress.

Oso
06-10-2003, 08:21 PM
well, do you not see that as par for the course?

everyone has their limit: they will only push themselve so far.

some people you can push.

some you can't.

if they are the type of person that won't push themselves and won't let you push them then they probably aren't the type of person who will take ma to an advanced level.

of course, their are different facets to ma and one particular type of athleticism may not be someone's forte` but another one will be.

me, I have crappy natural balance, anything that requires a fine degree of balance is always hard for me. however, I'm good at other things.

the combo you are working on may not be something you will ever get as well as you get some other stuff, but that doesn't mean you are not athetic.

I think there are core exercise, using your body weight, that anyone aspiring to at least an intermediate level or ma proficiancy should be able to do.

I'm not 100% sure exactly what those should be but 25-30 pushups on your toes and fists, 80-100 abdominals of some sort and 150 jj's is not a lot, imo.