PDA

View Full Version : got time for a short read?

Kung Lek
10-14-2001, 02:17 AM
Hello all, I have just finished writing a couple of short articles on my site.

give em a read if ya like :)

address is http://members.home.net/kunglek
the articles are located in the new section called "ponderings".

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

TigerClaw
11-10-2001, 09:48 PM
good insight into Wu Shu... maybe you should title your article that? It seems to me that its thrust is to first make a distinction between kung fu and wu shu, and then go on to describe wu shu... where's the (kung fu) beef? Also, WHY is it that wu shu came to be associated with the competition style? What is "Kung Fu" mean to you? I hope this is taken as constructive criticism.

Kung Lek
11-10-2001, 10:19 PM
Hey, all critiques are taken with constructivism in mind.

Thanks for your feedback TigerClaw. I will be writing more in the near future and do in fact have accompanying articles in the works for both of thsoe primers.
I am in the process of verifying sources of information that I use and also some historical denotations. Wouldn't want to put anyone out of joint with an improper date :)

The first article on Kung Fu dealt with the term Wu Shu strongly for the reason that in the west the distinction is often overlooked. There are many here who regard Traditional Kung fu styles and their practice as no different from competition Wu Shu practice. So, that's why I drew the line between the two. In the next, I will go more into what "Kung Fu" is from a viewpoint of the observationist and also in a historical sense.

It will deal with the secularization of Kung Fu styles, military styles and those styles from the temple and the relationship between them and much more.

As well, I will include more information regarding Ch'an and it's gradual migration through China and out of China to it's present state today.

Another article I am in the process of writing deals with Buddhism in context to martial arts practice.
And later I will be taking a look at Taoism in relation to martial practice.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback again and thanks for visiting the site.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

firepalm
11-10-2001, 10:43 PM
Well written, accurate unbaised appraisal of the differences between contemporary sport Wushu & traditional Wushu / Kung Fu. Bravo!

I will nit pick on one minor point, sport wushu (taolu & sanda) in China is actually governed by the Chinese Wushu Federation, which is governed by the All China Sports Federation. The term Kyo (? Kou) is actually a nationalists (Kou Min Tang) phrase and accept in historical references is not used to describe martial arts in China.

None the less good article.

TigerClaw
11-10-2001, 10:46 PM
I look forward to the opportunity to read them.

TigerClaw
11-10-2001, 10:48 PM
I am currently occupied with the very real possibility of spending a significant amount of time in Vancouver. What style do you study, and what are my options out there?

firepalm
11-11-2001, 10:49 PM
Myself I no longer study (I've done a variety of styles) I just train recreationally on my own. Vancouver, with about 60 or so active instructors, has a huge resources for CMA (traditional, modern, internal, san shou/da, etc...). It would be easier for you to narrow down what you are looking for & then I can hopefully point you in the right direction.