PDA

View Full Version : what do ya think of this school?

bungle
06-10-2003, 05:06 AM
Hi
I'm looking for a good school in leicester,UK. I found this one but it looks a little dodge to me. Can anyone tell if it is legit? What do you think anyway?

thanks for any help

http://www.chun-seh-dau-school-of-shaolin-kung-fu.co.uk/Chun_Seh_Dau_School_of_Shaolin_Kung_Fu_Info_Page.h tm

bungle
06-10-2003, 06:46 AM
that's what i thought. Unfortunately there are lots of them in Leicester. "Gannons black belt academy", "school of hope and glory". I knew before i asked really, still would of been handy, they train near me. Where do you think these guys learn the forms?

GeneChing
06-10-2003, 09:36 AM
A teacher wanted to present some students with their belts inside Shaolin Temple. The teach was an ass. The students were kids. The monks said 'whatever.' It was kind of surreal.

David Jamieson
06-10-2003, 11:46 AM
The teach was an ass. The students were kids. The monks said 'whatever.'

That's a pretty phat lyric Gene :D

cheers

norther practitioner
06-10-2003, 02:56 PM
That is pretty funny, I guess you could have belt ceromony anywhere....:D

bodhitree
06-11-2003, 05:23 AM
"chi kung,chi sau(breathing)" the site under shoalin styles
What the hell is that?

GeneChing
06-11-2003, 09:04 AM
I actually have a huge tale that leads up to that belt ceremony story, something I've been meaing to pen for an upcoming Shaolin trip. I won't be as political as the last one :p but it'll have some deep digs against mcdojos, plus a damsel in distress, and a swollen testicles. As soon as I get some time, I'll put it out. Of course, it took me a year to put out the last one, so don't hold your breath.

kungfudork
06-11-2003, 03:04 PM
hey, i was there for that story.......but i'm happy to say i don't remember the swollen testicles. lucky me. anyway i am a witness to the black belt ceremony held inside the temple walls. that was fun..............ahhhh, the good ol days. oh yeah and the hunt for a white girl on songshan.

keep up the great lyrics gene.

your little bro,
kungfud0rk

Ben Gash
06-11-2003, 04:18 PM
"Sifu Marie has been training for 7 years and has already achieved Black belt 3rd Rank" LMAO! And in 7 styles no less!
Bungle, try Derek Frearson for 7 star mantis and Wing Chun.

Longlocks
06-18-2003, 12:59 AM
Bungle, If you want to come and make up your own mind then feel free to visit a class.

I have been a student for over four years now at Chun Seh Dau and will vouch for it's quality and authenticity. If anyone else wants to visit for a test lesson or to watch a lesson they are always welcome. (See the website for details!).

As to the quality of the website, I have had no website experience and have produced it myself (for the Master) and am constantly updating it as I learn more.

Brad
06-18-2003, 06:46 AM
"Master Fred has been training for 40 years and is currently a Master of the 8th Rank."

"Sifu Matthew Townsend, Black Belt 9th Rank, Disciple to the Master

Sifu Matthew has been training for 15 years and is currently studying to achieve Mastership."

So the disciple is a higher rank than the master?
:confused:
I don't get it...

bungle
06-18-2003, 11:12 AM
I would also like to know why the particular monk your master learnt off decided to create a grading system? Also, what were the circumstances surrounding your master training at the temple. Why was he in china, how did he have opportunity? Can anyone tell if the monk they refer to really lived in the temple?

bungle
06-18-2003, 02:21 PM
Oh yeah and one last thing. Longlocks, i'm not trying to be a **** but it is important for me to know some things about the martial art i want to dedicate myself to. If i went to a lesson how would i know what i'm seeing is authentic? I have never trained in shaolin kung fu.

Longlocks
06-19-2003, 01:11 AM
To really find out about any Martial Art, find out as much as you can about what you want to do and visit as many schools as possible. The best experience you will get is by actually visiting Schools or clubs for their normal lessons.

I'm not getting drawn into any discussion as to my Master's (or his Master's) past or the school or the style but those who have taught me have proved to be decent, honourable and honest people.

As to the rank thing from Brad, if Sifu Matthew is "currently studying to achieve Mastership", then logically he isn't a Master.(Doh!)

bungle
06-19-2003, 01:58 AM
Who is trying to draw you into anything? Your a source of information and i'm asking questions; i'm not trolling for an argument.

As for training. I probaly will go check it out. The problem is, the class might be great, the people and the teachers might be great but i have no idea that what i'm seeing is traditional shaolin. I have no frame of reference from which to judge your martial art. Your teachers might kick ass but i'd like to learn traditional shaolin not pretty wushu forms, chop suey kung fu or competition sparring.

Now, how am i to tell your martial art from that of wushu or chop suey kung fu? I have never trained in shaolin. So you can see the reasons to why i ask the questions. Once again, i'm not testing you or trying to start a debate. If there is nothing to hide then please answer. Thanks for any help.

MasterKiller
06-19-2003, 06:15 AM
Bungle,
Instead of worrying about if a teacher is worthy enough to teach you, you should try to make yourself worthy enough to be taught. Check out some schools, pick one you like, and work hard. The time you are spending trying to find the most authentic Shaolin representitive in America is time you could be training to make yourself better.

By watching a class, you should be able to determine A) If it's wushu or traditional, B) Chop Suey Kung Fu, or C) if they teach point sparring.

You obviously have made up your mind as to what constitutes a good kung fu school. Now go try to find one that meets your criteria.

Wong Ying Home
07-02-2003, 07:37 AM
I would suggest your time would be better spent either at Derek Frearson school or seeking out Dave Hawkins who teaches Hung Sing Choy Li Fut in the Leicester area. Call the guys at Gwan Gung martial arts supplies n Leicester and ask if they can reccomned any reasonable schools.

I would not touch ChunSeh dou school with a barge pole. I am sure they are very nice people and work hard at what they do, but from looking at their body mechaincs and posture, use of language terminology etc I do not believe they are teaching good chinese martial arts corectly.

Most important is enjoying your training,bein a safe environment and receive qualified authentic instruction with a complete system of martial arts
on offer.

Best of luck in finding a suitable school

Longlocks
07-02-2003, 08:36 AM
Bungle,

By all means ask for advice at Gwan Gung, you will find that they are more than happy to recommend Chun Seh Dau.

If anyone is near Earls Court (London, UK) this weekend, 4th-6th July. Chun Seh Dau will be demonstrating at 10am on Saturday (5th) and 3pm Sunday (6th) as part of the Martial Arts area at Earls Court Sports show.

I am unaware of who else in the Leicester area (or the rest of the UK (including Slough!)) has been requested to participate but it would give anyone an opportunity to come and see some different Martial Arts being demonstrated in the same location.

Visit the link below for more info on the sports show.

http://www.thesportshow.com/index.html

bungle
07-03-2003, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

Shaolinlueb
07-03-2003, 08:21 AM
the real question is what do you think of this school.

http://www.villari.net/index.htm

bungle
07-03-2003, 09:01 AM
I rang gwan gun. The guy no longer has the choy li fut guys details. Any ideas where else i might find the info? Thanks for any help

Crushing Step
07-05-2003, 10:34 AM
I "fought" some villari people back in junior high and high school. They both were ****y, started the fight, and didn't have the skills to back it up. The first guy I beat was a red belt and I was an untrained skinny kid who barely played sports! This set the pace for me having a bad view of kempo ever since.

1renox
07-05-2003, 10:55 AM
:p That pose on villari's page cracks me up.
He looks like he woke from an all night drunk. Wonder what he's going to do when his sleeves are finally filled with gold srtipes.

Shaolinlueb
07-05-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by 1renox
:p That pose on villari's page cracks me up.
He looks like he woke from an all night drunk. Wonder what he's going to do when his sleeves are finally filled with gold srtipes.

i thought the same thing. the guy looks like a dirty drunk.

Longlocks
07-16-2003, 12:41 AM
So Bungle,

Have you started training yet?
;) ;) :D :D