PDA

View Full Version : Is strength necessary for fighting?

red5angel
06-10-2003, 08:17 AM
Over the last couple of months, the meager fight experience I have had and am seeing, leads me to believe that in general, the larger you are, the better chance you have in a fight. More often then not, noticeably more often, the larger guy dominates, or the stronger guy anyway.
Let's get a few things out of the way, I don't believe that smaller is necessarily faster, I have met some pretty fast, larger guys. However, I have noticed that the slower stronger type, tend to lay out their opponents more. These fast guys tend to land a lot of glancing blows, things that seem fairly ineffective in the short term.
I am also aware that bigger and stronger doesn't mean you can't have a glass jaw, some big guys no matter how strong they are just can't hang in the ring.

Judge Pen
06-10-2003, 08:24 AM
Are we just talking about big/strong or big/strong with training? A big/strong guy always has an advantage. a big/strong w/out against average-to-small with training is more equal, but the big/strong guy is still dangerous. If you have a big/strong guy with training and a smaller guy with training, then, all other things equal, the advantage has to the big man.

red5angel
06-10-2003, 08:27 AM
I didn't really specify on purpose. So far what I am seeing is that it doesn't matter a whole lot. Sometimes the training makes a difference, and sometimes not. If I had to break down what I seem to be seeing, I would say it's about 80-90% in favor of the strong when both are trained, and about 65% when the strong guy is not trained.

Chang Style Novice
06-10-2003, 08:27 AM
Everthing counts, and all else being equal, the guy with more ______ is the one to put your money on.

______ could certainly be strength.

red5angel
06-10-2003, 08:28 AM
CSN, of course, but what I seem to percieve goes ****her then that. I am seeing that possibly strength can be much more of an equalizer or an unequalizer.

MasterKiller
06-10-2003, 08:32 AM
Strength and size count for more than people will admit, sometimes. Think about the fastest chick in your school. Can she beat you in a real fight? Probably not because most women don't have the strength or size to really take a guy on.

If you take two men, with the same weight/size differential as a man vs woman fight, the outcome would be the same. The bigger guy wins 9 times out of 10.

Chang Style Novice
06-10-2003, 08:33 AM
You mean that at a certain point disparity in strength cannot be overcome by an equal disparity in skill/speed/whatever? Mmmm - I dunno. Possibly.

Judge Pen
06-10-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
what I seem to be seeing, I would say it's about 80-90% in favor of the strong when both are trained, and about 65% when the strong guy is not trained.

I would definately agree with that.

When I was in college, I was an RA on a floor full of freshmen football players. These guys were huge -- significantly outweighing me-- and I knew that if one had the intent and got their hands on me there was little that I could do to prevent from getting hurt despite my training. The trick is to prevent from being in that situation.

I've only used my kung-fu once outside of class and that guy was stronger than me, but I kept my wits and took him down before his strength became a factor. Some of it was skill but a big part of it was luck.

red5angel
06-10-2003, 08:51 AM
You mean that at a certain point disparity in strength cannot be overcome by an equal disparity in skill/speed/whatever?

I don't know about that, I think skill is definitely a player and that can be a huge factor as well, but I wonder if strength is atleast as much a facotr if not more?

A freind and I experiment some times. He is smaller, around 110lbs or so, I am 200lbs and weight train. When we are staying within the "technical" bounds of our art, he does well, and is better then I am, however, if I decide to use strength to overcome his skill, there doesn't appear to be anything he can do. He isn't a master by any means so that may be an issue, but he is quite a bit better at the technical stuff then I am.

Chang Style Novice
06-10-2003, 08:56 AM
Yeah, and it's easy to measure strength but difficult and maybe impossible to measure skill.

Black Jack
06-10-2003, 09:01 AM
Thats because skill can change all the time based on situation, mood, health, enviroment, what have ya.

Everybody has those days in class when they are just not up to par, when just last week they were flowing, getting it down, making it work, but this day you are out of sorts.

red5angel
06-10-2003, 09:02 AM
good point CSN. Strength may also be more reliable then skill. Even on a bad day I can lift about as much as I normally can. I don't perform so well during my training othrwise.

red5angel
06-10-2003, 09:22 AM
I have another good example. Some of you may be familiar with Brock Lesner from the WWE? A good freind of mine got to wrestle him a few times back in the day. His opinion of Lesners skill is low, he said he wasn't very technical. however he was a big guy even for his weight class and so more often then not he won because of sheer strength. However he also said that Brock had a hard time periodically with smaller more technical opponents but the majority of the time he could just wear his opponents down.

Judge Pen
06-10-2003, 09:24 AM
I have another good example. Some of you may be familiar with Brock Lesner from the WWE? A good freind of mine got to wrestle him a few times back in the day. His opinion of Lesners skill is low, he said he wasn't very technical. however he was a big guy even for his weight class and so more often then not he won because of sheer strength. However he also said that Brock had a hard time periodically with smaller more technical opponents but the majority of the time he could just wear his opponents down.

Aren't the matches in the WWE predetermined?

Merryprankster
06-10-2003, 09:28 AM
I have heard that kurt angle tooled him, repeatedly. Of course, that's the difference between an olympic champ and an NCAA wrestler.

w/regards to strength, you can outslick a strong guy, but it's not always easy and sometimes, you do get taken for a ride....

On brock not being that skilled. I think that's a misnomer. He's skilled plenty and learned/leaned on a style that's good for him. It's not as pretty as John Smith's single, but so what? It's ugly, yeah, but it works good for him.

red5angel
06-10-2003, 09:35 AM
Judge Pen, I am talking about his early wrestling career. College.

MP, I couldn't begin to debate you on his actual ability. My buddy, I have mentioned him before, wa captain of his college and high school team and got to wrestle brock a few times. For whatever reason he is not impressed with Lesners skill. He says he didn't deserve the championship, but that is always a matter of opinion, sort of who cares if you are doing it right if it works. He did say there was another guy in the WWE a black guy who is also from the Uof M who was a much better technical wreslter then Brock.

Merryprankster
06-10-2003, 09:38 AM
Right. I guess my point is that this other guy might be a better technician, but it looks like Brock was the better wrestler.

Does that make sense?

FWIW, Brock won, so he deserves it! :D

FatherDog
06-10-2003, 09:40 AM
Look at it this way. Your strength is the caliber of bullet you're firing. Your skill is the accuracy with which you can make it hit.

If you hit someone in the eye with a .22, he'll probably be dead. If you hit someone in the eye with a .44, he'll probably be dead.

If you hit someone CBM with a 22, he'll be hurt, but it's very unlikely he'll be dead. If you hit someone CBM with a .44, the odds that he'll be dead, or at least incapacitated, go up considerably.

If you're good enough to hit the eye every time, then you don't need more than a .22. But most of us are gonna be in the "hit the CBM" range of skill.

Merryprankster
06-10-2003, 09:43 AM
Nice analogy.

red5angel
06-10-2003, 09:49 AM
good analogy.

MP - for the record, I agree, if he won most of his matches does it really matter how well he does it? Of course getting better should always be the goal.

starting to sound like some familiar arguments on the WC forum!

Merryprankster
06-10-2003, 09:53 AM
R5A,

Not really... he IS skilled. At finding ways to employ his natural gifts. A great example is Royce Alger--the guy was internationally competitive for years before he embarrassed himself in a UFC. Well, I met him....and he's one of the strongest SOB's I've ever met. He was showing us stuff I knew I'd never be able to pull off. Does that make him less skilled? It makes him, perhaps, less slick, but any less skilled.

RJJ is as slick as they come but was Marciano less skilled? I don't think that's accurate. Marciano's style was certainly uglier, but there's still a great deal of skill involved in getting to a spot where you can apply your strengths.

red5angel
06-10-2003, 09:57 AM
good point MP. However, uglier can mean "less skilled" as well couldn't it? In this situation, my freind, who is a very good wrestler, felt that Brock was not as good a "wrestler" as he seems, although he won more of his matches then lost.
To me the analogy is like, doing chi sau wth a guy who throws a bong sau every once in a while, the rest of the time he sort of flails wildly but this manages to "beat" his opponent most of the time. While he could claim to be doing wing chun well because of his bong sau, he isn't, although in the grand scheme of things what he is doing works fine for him.

fa_jing
06-10-2003, 10:02 AM
I think that conditioning is one of if the not the most key element in fighting, however strength and conditioning are two different things, especially if the strong person in question is a fatso or slow-moving.

red5angel
06-10-2003, 10:04 AM
fa_jing, what do you mean by conditioning? I can agree that it is important but what is it you are talking about? Being in shape? Being able to take a punch? strengthening contact points? all of the above?

Merryprankster
06-10-2003, 10:04 AM
These kinds of distinctions are lost on me. Was vintage Tyson less skilled than Muhammed Ali?

I would agree that perhaps Lesnar is less slick than some others, but his skill, like all great athletes is taking a template (wrestling) and figuring out how to customize it to suit his gifts.

I mean, balls out conditioning and strength don't mean anything if you can't figure out how to use them.

red5angel
06-10-2003, 10:10 AM
MP, I am with you brother, I understand what you are getting at and I completely agree! However, we choose to study a martial art, or a few, and these arts have a "template" for which you try to fit in as well as adapt to your own personal strengths and weaknesses. Some might say that some arts are better designed for some strengths and others for another.
So to me I guess, some of the technical challenge is a part of doing it "right". In a self defense situation, whatever works and anything goes. In a competition, doing it "right" is possibly "better".

It's probably why so many kung fu get togethers have a hard time scoring and why there is so much disagreement. On one hand you have a guy who is flawless in his technique, however his opponent is on him like a pack of dogs on a three legged cat, and beating him like a red headed step child. who gets the points?
The tricky part of the argument in my view is this, the hump they always come to over in the WC forum - If your doing it technically perfect, but you can't make it work, then is it good?

Judge Pen
06-10-2003, 10:13 AM
If your doing it technically perfect, but you can't make it work, then is it good?

It's not good for fighting, but it's sure pretty to watch.

Oso
06-10-2003, 10:22 AM
yes. not huge manly strength but adequate for your body.

question is, what is adequate?

how many reps of the different body weight exercises should you be able to do?

pushups? 50? 100?

pullups? 10? 25? 50? me, I suck at these if it's more than 10 than I'm a little girly man.

dips? same as pull ups. I'm a little better at dips.

body weight squats? 100? 200? 500?

that pretty much covers the basic body weight stuff, right? what did I miss. basics, mind you. there are of course many.

red5angel
06-10-2003, 10:25 AM
yes. not huge manly strength but adequate for your body.

Oso, I am talking about more strength in general. One of my common sparring partners does a whole body weight workout a few times a week, and is wiry and strong for his size. I ourweight him by about 40 lbs or so, although we are both the same height, I have a larger frame and more muscle mass. In general, my weight appears to give me an edge he has some trouble overcoming.

Merryprankster
06-10-2003, 10:33 AM
See what judge pen said. :)

I rate on effectiveness. Not on how pretty it is--although I certainly appreciate pretty and effective!!

Anyway the only reason you have problems scoring at these "tournaments," is because people aren't trying to knock each other out. Who's doing what effectively becomes obvious in short order.

Oso
06-10-2003, 10:34 AM
I would then differentiate between strength and mass.

and of course, correct application of the mass you have into a technique.

this may slightly turn this topic but I think one of the bits about fajing/body mechanics is learning to apply your body mass to the technique and not just relying on your raw muscle strength.

red5angel
06-10-2003, 10:35 AM
Oso, absolutely. Thats why I mentioned my wing chun freind. He is small, but good and can really produce some power, however, I can use my strength as an advantage over him, as well as my mass.

Mp, I think you are right. Maybe these contest should move to a no holds barred format! ;)

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-10-2003, 11:33 AM
on size alone ....

as a little dude myself i really don't seem to have too much of a problem with dealing with size. at 5'5'' 140lbs i have very very rarely felt that someone has bested me based on their size advantage alone. range can be annoying, but that's a completely different subject.

up to 200lbs i dont really feel that my opponent is that much bigger than me. once they start pushing 250 it gets a little ridiculous, but even then i can deal with it at least half the time.

it is an advantage.... abso-fu cking-lutely ... but i guess it's just one that im used to dealing with. also i have short man's syndrom so overcoming size is important to me. i know there are bigger poorer technicians who could beat me easily, but just as many underestimate size advantage i feel that many also overestimate a big dudes strength and power. i just see big guys as bigger targets until they give me reason to think otherwise.

all that said if i were attacked on the street by a guy 250lb plus i'd be doing everything i could to get my hands on the nearest object i could use as a weapon cause i'd have no idea if they knew how to use their size or not.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-10-2003, 11:39 AM
on strength i'd see it as a big advantage in throws, locks, and grappeling, but not so much in straight standup.

don't get me wrong, you dont want to be weak, but i dont think huge refrigerator throwing amounts of strength necessarialy carry over to power.

so overall it is an advantage ... and one that im sure all of us are always working to improve ... but it might not come into play in a slugfest unless one of the guys wants it to go to the ground.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-10-2003, 11:45 AM
"this may slightly turn this topic but I think one of the bits about fajing/body mechanics is learning to apply your body mass to the technique and not just relying on your raw muscle strength."

that's what i was trying to get at with overestimating big dudes. though i included raw muscle strength cause i have met more than a couple bigger guys i was stronger than.

joedoe
06-10-2003, 06:17 PM
Strength/mass/size all matters. It is up to the one with the disadvantage to apply their skill to try and negate their opponent's advantage.

Oso
06-10-2003, 07:32 PM
it's an equation. everything matters relative to everything else.

you won't ever know the outcome of a match-up till it's over.

sometimes it surprises you, sometimes it doesn't.

joedoe
06-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Oso
it's an equation. everything matters relative to everything else.

you won't ever know the outcome of a match-up till it's over.

sometimes it surprises you, sometimes it doesn't.

And the same match-up will not always result in the same outcome. Good old lady luck :)

Water Dragon
06-10-2003, 08:02 PM
In my experience, Oso is correct. It's not really strength that counts, it's weight. Strength isn't so hard to deal with. A lot of weight is.

I still say it's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog. Raw all-out aggresion does more to level the playing field than anything else I've ever seen.

Oso
06-10-2003, 08:27 PM
And the same match-up will not always result in the same outcome. Good old lady luck

of course and absolutely

I've seen a couple of sifu's definitely past their physical prime (30-50 pounds overweight) but they sure had some fajing and when they got all that mass torqued up...wow! One guy was a SPM guy and during the seminar he would drop into the drills we were doing and his deflections had all of his gut behind them and they hurt like hel l.

now, he probably couldn't spar for more than 30 or 40 seconds but I sure wouldn't want to try and take him out for real.

**edit**
cut and pasted the wrong quote:rolleyes:

Deathrobe
06-10-2003, 09:30 PM
well im 5'8 210lbs i train regularly decent size healthy

I have played chi sao with plenty of guys who are huge and much stronger then i am and i can still outskill them and if they try and use the ogre muscles I outskill them somemore.

Skill is the equalizer. though lets face it if a guy who is 6'5 245lb solid pounds , If he lands a good punch your getting dropped.

I dont like 2 people of equal skill thing because thats never going to happen.

In any tournament, there isnt a threat of eye strikes, or groin strikes etc...

in that type of enviroment i would say strengh comes more into play.

Becca
06-10-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Deathrobe
Skill is the equalizer. though lets face it if a guy who is 6'5 245lb solid pounds , If he lands a good punch your getting dropped.

There are some tricks that work on big guys, namely, freaking them out with something they don't see comming, but skill meens nothing if they are well conditioned. I know I can throw a big guy, but I've got to get close enough. If the "freaking them out" don't work, that ain't gonna happen. :rolleyes: And if they can take a punch/kick, I've got nothing that'll work.:(

Serpent
06-10-2003, 09:46 PM
Glock Fu time.

Becca
06-10-2003, 09:57 PM
Running also works... ans begging....:D

Serpent
06-10-2003, 10:07 PM
And pepper spray and sharp heels.

Not to mention Feminine Wiles. Never underestimate Feminine Wiles.

;)

Becca
06-10-2003, 10:16 PM
But it can be hard to be convincing if the bigger "guy" is a she.:D

Feminin whiles is one of my faves, actually. I'm only 5'1" and look smaller than I am. Also have long blond hair. For some reason, I can talk my way out of most stick situations.;) And the fact that I can handle myself tripps out the ones it don't work on. Handling hostile women is easy- us women only get physical in a fight if we start looking like an idiot. Don't point out that we are acting like idiots and we are content to keep it verbal.

Serpent
06-10-2003, 10:31 PM
What are you? Some kind of idiot?

:D

Serpent
06-10-2003, 10:36 PM
Of course, if you women would stick to cooking, cleaning and making babies then you'd never make an idiot of yourself in the first place.

;)

:)

joedoe
06-10-2003, 10:40 PM
No, no, no. Just calling her an idiot is not good enough. You have to point out how she is being an idiot.

Serpent
06-10-2003, 10:47 PM
In a very condescending voice? With a little half smile, indicating that it's kinda cute how she's so dumb?

Becca
06-10-2003, 10:49 PM
Of course, if you women would stick to cooking, cleaning and making babies then you'd never make an idiot of yourself in the first place.

Mmmm... Beg to differ. My ex-mother-in-law don't do nothin' but cook, clean, and take care of babies, but she looks like an idiot every time she opens her mouth. Only an idiot could mispronounce "matriss".

No, no, no. Just calling her an idiot is not good enough. You have to point out how she is being an idiot.

'Specially if it ain't true.:D

Serpent
06-10-2003, 10:51 PM
LOL.

Do you Mattress? The thing that goes on the bed? ;)

Serpent
06-10-2003, 10:52 PM
I just noticed ex-mother-in-law.

Was her stupidity genetic?

joedoe
06-10-2003, 10:52 PM
Listen Becca, you are being silly. It is patently obvious that no woman could ever match a man in a fight, let alone beat him. You shouldn't worry your pretty little head with things like martial arts. Just stay in the kitchen, keep your man happy and he will make sure you stay safe. Leave the martial arts to the men.

:D

Becca
06-10-2003, 11:03 PM
Yes, it was. You remenber my first few posts, were I mentioned the ex who swung and got blocked? that was him. After we broke up, he tried to put a restaining order on me for it. Court didn't belive I'd hit someone that much bigger than me, that he didn't call the cops, or that he couldn't remember what day or time of day it happened. The idiot didn't even mention that I was into martial arts. :rolleyes: Judge might have overlooked the wrong day/time thing if she'd have known I was more than capable of swinging on someone bigger than me.

JoeDoe- that wasn't insulting, that was silly.:D

Serpent
06-10-2003, 11:05 PM
Ah, Becca. You're my kind of woman!

(And I mean that in the nicest, platonic sort of way.)

:)

joedoe
06-10-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Becca
Yes, it was. You remenber my first few posts, were I mentioned the ex who swung and got blocked? that was him. After we broke up, he tried to put a restaining order on me for it. Court didn't belive I'd hit someone that much bigger than me, that he didn't call the cops, or that he couldn't remember what day or time of day it happened. The idiot didn't even mention that I was into martial arts. :rolleyes: Judge might have overlooked the wrong day/time thing if she'd have known I was more than capable of swinging on someone bigger than me.

JoeDoe- that wasn't insulting, that was silly.:D

It wasn't meant to be insulting. It was meant to point out how you are being an idiot :D

Becca
06-10-2003, 11:41 PM
S- What do you meen by that?!? I'm not a meeny! And he IS an idiot.

J- See Serpent's post. THAT'S how you rile a woman up.:D

joedoe
06-10-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
I just noticed ex-mother-in-law.

Was her stupidity genetic?

No, she caught it off Becca :D

Serpent
06-10-2003, 11:56 PM
LOL.

Becca, seriously, it means I like you, in a respectful way. I respect your fire and intelligence. Of course, I might like you in other ways too, if I met you, but that's hard to second guess over the computer from the other side of the world.

Planning any trips to Sydney any time soon?

Becca
06-10-2003, 11:56 PM
How is that suposed to make me feel like an idiot?:D

Becca
06-11-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Serpent

Planning any trips to Sydney any time soon?

Aiming to go back next summer, actually. Only had 3 days last time. Was stuck on one of those sucky tours the whole time. Never buy a "barin vacation package." :mad:

joedoe
06-11-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Becca

Aiming to go back next summer, actually. Only had 3 days last time. Was stuck on one of those sucky tours the whole time. Never buy a "barin vacation package." :mad:

Let us know next time you are heading down this way.

cho
06-11-2003, 12:43 AM
strength is very necessary.
but strength doesn't always mean bigger. take Bruce Lee: so much muscle packed into that little frame, like a jackhammer.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-11-2003, 01:46 AM
In my experience, Oso is correct. It's not really strength that counts, it's weight. Strength isn't so hard to deal with. A lot of weight is.

as a little guy on the receiving end i'd have to disagree. i'd much rather fight a huge moron than a guy my size that knows how to hit.

i don't know much about grappling, but from my limited experience it's the same thing. i can out grapple huge morons easily without knowing anything.

Oso
06-11-2003, 03:34 AM
GDA, 'huge' and 'moron' aren't necessarilly connected at the hip.

no one has said anything about the mental capacity of the opponent.;)

give me someone to fight with an IQ of less than 70 every time.

Water Dragon
06-11-2003, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity

as a little guy on the receiving end i'd have to disagree. i'd much rather fight a huge moron than a guy my size that knows how to hit.

But now your talking about weight vs. training, not weight vs. strength. Just because you bench 300 doesn't mean you know how to throw a punch.

red5angel
06-11-2003, 06:43 AM
I don't think it's about mass really, unless a good portion of that mass is muscle. I have a freind who is about 350lbs and I can man-handle him like a little girl. My most frequent workout partner is about 6'2" and about 240 of solid muscle and the guy kills me anytime he wants to. His skill is better but he hits me once and turns me about 180 degrees!
I'm not convinced it's about mass.

Just because you bench 300 doesn't mean you know how to throw a punch.

My contention here is that you may not have to. I am not saying by any means muscle is the end all to be all by the way.

yenhoi
06-11-2003, 06:50 AM
timing, conditioning, expierence - trumps "strength."

Of course stronger people are stonger people. :rolleyes:

Just because you bench 300 doesn't mean you know how to throw a punch.

Or move your feet, or bend suddenly and toss the guy. Sure, if your stronger then the other guy, then when it comes to strength.... then your stronger... but as far as fighting goes, high amounts of strength or other attributes dont at some point spill over and start filling out other attributes. If your better then you will win, and when you win, well then, thats that.

:rolleyes:

red5angel
06-11-2003, 06:58 AM
yenhoi, I have to disagree a little here. I can agree that skill goes a long way, and strength doesn't fill in for skill, but I believe it can replace it when it comes to fighting.
Look at the final goal in a fight, to win by doing more damage then your opponent can handle. Training allows us to do this methodically and efficiently, however, it's not necessary to be methodical or efficient.
For example you mentioned learning to bend over and pivot to toss someone. Learning to do it right allows you to overcome your own inherent weakness, you might be a small person, and it allows you to overcome someones elses strength, to a certain degree. However, if I am big enough to pick you up and toss you, then that skill isn't needed. If you go for a toss or a flip on a much stronger opponent you might find yourself not able to perform the way you were because that person is strong enough to resist you.

yenhoi
06-11-2003, 07:31 AM
However, if I am big enough to pick you up and toss you, then that skill isn't needed

No. Thats my lack of skill in not getting picked up and tossed, not your ability to pickup and move 200lbs+. You still have to chase me down, dodge or absorb any blows or other attacks I throw at you and get a grip on me. Your big strong muslces play little role until after my skill has failed, or yours has prevailed, depending on which side your on.

Strength doesnt prepare, decide, respond, react or anything, its just used, told what to do and when to do it by you.

If you go for a toss or a flip on a much stronger opponent you might find yourself not able to perform the way you were because that person is strong enough to resist you.

Then something is wrong with the skill. If you can resist my technique, then something I am doing is wrong: my timing(something is wrong with my timing if when I go to throw... you wont budge... i kicked wrong here or nudged wrong there or stepeed wrong here...) sensitivity (what the **** am I doing standing around trying to resist your resist?... resisting my throw, regardless of your strength vs mine, should set you up for another throw... should), etc. There are many attributes and skills, all of which have the same ultimate impact on the outcome of a skirmish or fight as strength does. It depends on what each participant is doing, and what each one is made of, literally.

:eek:

Becca
06-11-2003, 08:01 AM
Also depends on them not being too much bigger. As said earlier, I can throw bigger people, but that don't mean I can get in close enough to make the technique work in real fights. If they are dumb, I can trick 'em. If they aren't overly strong, I should be able to manuver them. But If they are too much bigger, reasonably strong, and not a dim whitt, I just cant get in close enough.

Also, equal sized and stronger with good training is tough to beat. Even if your training is better. 2/3s of a good fight strategy is knowing when you ain't got a prayer.;)

Oso
06-11-2003, 08:13 AM
it's not all about raw mass. excess fat to muscle means that the guy can't move himself fast enough to effectively apply his mass to a technique. which brings me back to my first post: if you can meet a minimum level of strength to move yourself then that's good enough strength to fight competently. All else being equal of course.

also, unless I'm totally wrong about what mass really means, a 300 lb fat guy doesn't mass as much as a 300 lb body builder or power lifter.

Richie
06-11-2003, 08:14 AM
A good example is Bob Sapp. He loses to smaller guy s cuz he has less fighting skill.

red5angel
06-11-2003, 08:19 AM
yenhoi, there is the hitch. See, you can argue skill vs anything to the nth degree, however to be realistic only a certain level of skill can be reached by most. Like I said, I don't think that strength is the overriding factor, I just think it goes for a lot. If your an average martial artist and I am stronger then you, I say the chances are roughly equal of you or I winning.
A good example in my own experience is wing chun. An art the is supposed to relie on structure not muscle. However, oddly enough, all of the really good guys I have come across, have also been larger guys.
now often times, with top fighters, the smaller guys can do pretty well against even the larger guys and so I reiterate, strength isn't a totality, however I still have to argue that it plays a very large part.
No matter how much you are jumping around, or throwing punches or whatever, if you can't do that much damage to me, and I get a hold of you, your a dead man.

Ford Prefect
06-11-2003, 09:58 AM
I'd rather fight a highly trained fighter that weighs 100 lbs less than me, than fight a big strong guy that weighs 100 lbs more than me.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-11-2003, 10:30 AM
But now your talking about weight vs. training, not weight vs. strength. Just because you bench 300 doesn't mean you know how to throw a punch.

that's what i said earlier. i was just disagreeing with weight alone being a factor in fighting. i don't think it necessarilly is. like anything else ... speed, reaction time, power ... their advantages by themselves but they arent going to make a major difference unless you know how to use them. my point is that weight is less likely to be an advantage in novice hands than strength. even if you dont know what you're doing strength will offer at least some benifit where as weight probably wont. just my opinion.

I still have to argue that it plays a very large part.
No matter how much you are jumping around, or throwing punches or whatever, if you can't do that much damage to me, and I get a hold of you, your a dead man.

agreed.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-11-2003, 10:33 AM
I'd rather fight a highly trained fighter that weighs 100 lbs less than me, than fight a big strong guy that weighs 100 lbs more than me.

me too. i'll take the little bi tch weighing 40lbs anyday. fu ckin 3rd graders need taught a lesson anyway.

red5angel
06-11-2003, 10:36 AM
and retards right GDA? although I hear they have the strength of ten men.

ZIM
06-11-2003, 11:10 AM
isn't this one of those subjects dealt with in TCMAs? I seem to remember something on the order of "strength equals 10 times technique"? I can agree with trhat estimate even if I don't know what units they're measuring them in.

As regards the whole thing- yeah, strength counts and mass too. But it all boils down to who can hit who. I'm a small guy so I really don't like/can't afford being hit therefore I concentrate on making sure that I hit, viciously and often and that I don't get hit back.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-11-2003, 11:15 AM
and retards right GDA?

abso-fu cking-lutely. it's always fun as there's a bit of savagery in every tard.