PDA

View Full Version : Training materials for a beginer

PAMantis
06-10-2003, 08:51 AM
I was wondering if any of you knew of a few resources that I could use to train on my time out of my school (i.e. the two days that we don't have class, or the 21-22 hours that we aren't in class). If you haven't read my post about sleep yet, I'll tell you here I don't know what the word means. I do very little of it. I would like to spend as much time training with my mind as I do training with my body.

I intend to ask my sifu when next we have class, but I wanted to ask here incase i forget which i do often (I think that may be a side effect of not sleeping, but I can't remember if i read that somewhere).

ursa major
06-10-2003, 09:43 AM
Hello PAMantis,

If you are looking for home study materials there is of course this website. In this one place we have access to several lifetimes worth of experience, knowledge and information. I do not believe any one person could exhaust this site of useful CMA and PM information.

Because you are in the Jon Funk line you could inquire of your Sifu about acquiring one or more of Sifu Funk's several video tapes. I have many IMO they are excellent quality and highly useful instructional material.

If lack of sleep is not by choice then you might inquire of your Sifu about training that may help this condition. Some CMA forms and practices are designed to calm the mind, some to calm the spirit, and so on.

Also, a belated welcome to the world of Praying Mantis.
UM.

PAMantis
06-10-2003, 10:11 AM
UM,

I meant aside from this site. I have been trying to glean what I could from the conversations, and due to my own ignorance, and embarassment have not asked all of the questions that I have. There is more information contained within this site and it's visitors than I could ever utilize. I was also hoping to hear of books that might have photos or in depth explanitions of the forms and the theory behind them. I have of course planned to ask my sifu how I could arrange to obtain some of sigung Funk's video's, I just was not sure if they were viable (and by that I mean effective, easy to follow) training methods for a beginer.

Thank you for your advice and response.

PAMantis

Robinf
06-10-2003, 10:34 AM
PA Mantis,

I've been looking around at different martial arts books sites, but I haven't turned up anything on your style.

I don't know anything about your style, myself.

But, I do know the best place to go for information is your sifu and your own siblings in class. While you're learning the style taught by Jon Funk, you are learning it according to your instructor. It's best to ask him for advice.

As far as training the mind as much as the body--the mind and body should be trained at the same time. One cannot be trained without the other. It may seem that you're spending all of your time on phyical mechanics and that it only works your body, but your mind has become used to those mechanics before it can handle anything else.

Just be in for the long haul, and everything will click along the way.

Robin

ursa major
06-10-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Robinf
...Just be in for the long haul, and everything will click along the way.

Robin

Well said Robinf.

thx,
UM.

PAMantis
06-10-2003, 01:19 PM
I know it's a cliche, but I feel as though I have found my place at last. I have tried many sports, and several forms of grappling, but nothing has brought me more joy or even just "clicked" like 7* does. What I meant by training my mind, is that I seem to be able to grasp the concepts and most of the theory behind the applications, and forms that I am being taught, I would like to delve deeper into the theory and the history as well as the forms/applications.

Of course I realize that my sifu is the best resource, but I am not his only student, and I often forget what I want to ask him.

All that I know is that once a wander finds his home he is in no rush to leave, no matter how much work it may take to keep it habitable.

PAMantis

hungy
06-11-2003, 09:31 AM
PAMAntis,

Wow, how do you run on such little sleep. Make sure you dont burn yourself out. There are going to be times.. you may feel your sifu is not teaching you at the speed that you want but you also I have to realize that it maybe for your own good. For example when I started mantis all I wanted to do was collect forms. For some reason I have it in my head that if you know more forms you are more advanced.... now I am realizing that it is not knowing more forms but rather understanding the forms and the ability to unlock the tecniques in Chiu Sao that really matters. Take your time. Your sifu will reveal the right stuff when he feels you are ready.

PAMantis
06-11-2003, 09:51 AM
What I meant by asking is I would like to find out what some good resources are to compliment the theory, applications, and form (just now learning Baag Yune Tou Toe) that we are learning. Additionally any physical fitness resources (I am trying to read and work a lot of the info in the thread about PM strenght training into my routine). And on top of that and I think most importantly I want to soke up the history, learn what brought 7* and all Mantis styles to where they are today. Is there a well put together resource to learn chineese so that I can read original texts? That sort of thing.

As to how I function on a few hours of sleep, I have no idea. I go through long periods of time where I only sleep for 3-4 hours every night. I guess that's not good for me, but oh well. I was exagerating a bit when I said 1 or 2 hours. But I'm not sure that I need more than 3-4 hours. Anyone else sleep that little?

PAMantis

BeiTangLang
06-11-2003, 10:02 AM
I do, but I'm trying to correct it. The longer you keep that schedule, the worse of you will be later (mental& physical health-wise)& the harder it will be to change.

PAMantis
06-11-2003, 10:12 AM
BeiTangLang,

What are you doing to correct that? I would be interested in hearing, and I know my wife would be too. eveyr night I get out of bed after she falls asleep and when I get back in no matter how quite I am I wake her up. She is ready to kill me. And since we are both training at the same school I think she will be able to.

PAMantis

BeiTangLang
06-12-2003, 05:11 AM
check your pm's.

PAMantis
06-12-2003, 11:06 AM
Thank you BeiTangLang, I will try out what you suggested. I hope it works, cause I am begining to feel the effects now that I am much more active than I have been in a while.

Andrew

Mr.Binx
06-13-2003, 09:27 AM
On the topic of sleep depravation, I have found that my evening tanglang classes are messing with my sleep regimen. Once my body is pumping my brain won't calm down and I find it nigh impossible to sleep for the next 6 hours or so. Currently I'm trying to get my work hours shifted to a little later in the day so I can attend morning classes to remedy the situation as my lack of proper sleep has slowly become more of an issue. I have begun to miss classes and certain social events in lieu of my body's demand for sleep. :(

yu shan
06-13-2003, 09:53 PM
I have a full time day job (bust ass) then the Gong Fu training at night, either try: hot shower, read a book, or drink a beer...:)

You must get rest, no matter your age, sleep, nap, just do it!!!