PDA

View Full Version : Columbus Ohio?

red5angel
06-10-2003, 10:31 AM
I am going to be in Columbus the last weekend of June for a geeking convention and if I can get some workout time in that would be cool! Anyone around there want to try to get together for some sparring or something?

Brad
06-10-2003, 11:41 AM
I don't think I'm in any shape for sparring... it's been years since I've hit or been hit, lol. I can talk to some of my classmates though, to see if anyone would be interested.

Shuul Vis
06-10-2003, 12:00 PM
Brad, you are in columbus??? I live there man. Where do you study? What do you study?

Red, What the hell is a geeking convention? And what do you study?

rubthebuddha
06-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by red5angel
I am going to be in Columbus the last weekend of June for a geeking convention
so who you dressing as, Geordi or Data? :confused:

;)

MasterKiller
06-10-2003, 12:07 PM
Don't be such a twit. Red5 is borg all the way.

red5angel
06-10-2003, 12:12 PM
LOL! Did you ever see that old series Star Trek The Doomsday Device? I am thinking of dressing up like that big cone that destroys worlds!

Actually I will be there for the Origins Gaming Convention.

fa_jing
06-10-2003, 12:33 PM
You driving or flying? Cause if you're driving, you should stop off in Chi-town.

red5angel
06-10-2003, 03:28 PM
driving but it is going to be a fast and furious trip both ways. You live in Chi-town fa_jing? I wouldn't mind visiting over the weekend or something, my wife has never been. Maybe we can arrange something in the near future?

Shuul Vis
06-10-2003, 03:48 PM
Red,
if you are going to be here on a thrusday there is a nightclub called Club Khaos that has a boxing ring the middle of the dance floor where you anyone can go in and fight as long as you sign a waiver. The club is run by Coleman of the UFC i think, and he is there most thursdays if you wanted to meet him. Only on thursdays do they do this though.

Brad
06-10-2003, 07:48 PM
Brad, you are in columbus??? I live there man. Where do you study? What do you study?
Right now I study with An Tian Rong. With him I've done some Xingyi, Baji, Taiji, Mizong, and Bagua with Taijiquan being my main focus. We're a wushu club at OSU, but he also teaches privately.

Shuul Vis
06-10-2003, 10:05 PM
im really interested in learning xing i from anyone here in columbus. do you think he would except a new student exclusively for that style?

red5angel
06-11-2003, 06:46 AM
Sweet! Shuul Vis, I should be there on thursday and be open, do you know what time the action starts? Can you give me an address to the place?

Brad
06-11-2003, 07:01 AM
im really interested in learning xing i from anyone here in columbus. do you think he would except a new student exclusively for that style?
I can ask him.

ewallace
06-11-2003, 07:07 AM
if you are going to be here on a thrusday there is a nightclub called Club Khaos that has a boxing ring the middle of the dance floor where you anyone can go in and fight as long as you sign a waiver.
That freakin cool. I wonder, if we had something like that at the clubs here, maybe people would stop waiting outside the club and shooting at the folks they had a problem with.

BAI HE
06-11-2003, 07:09 AM
Nathan Menaged teaches Water Boxing in Columbus.

red5angel
06-11-2003, 07:33 AM
Bai He, what are his credentials? From what I understand that is a hard art to get into being there aren't many people who teach it. I talked to some guy in Chicago who is supposed to be a master of it, can't remember his name though and he seems to think most of it out there is pretty much garbage.

dwid
06-11-2003, 07:43 AM
I think Menaged is a student of the Chicago guy.

fa_jing
06-11-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
driving but it is going to be a fast and furious trip both ways. You live in Chi-town fa_jing? I wouldn't mind visiting over the weekend or something, my wife has never been. Maybe we can arrange something in the near future?

Uh, it's right there under my name ... ;)

Yup, you'd enjoy a trip to the city, lots of activities, places to go, things to see, festivals, good weather in the summertime.

red5angel
06-11-2003, 09:09 AM
fa_jing, I have been there before and I had fun. My wife has never been though and I think it would be a good experience for her, plus maybe you and I could spar a little or something.

BAI HE
06-11-2003, 09:10 AM
Do a google search on him.
He'll turn up.
I heard good things.

fa_jing
06-11-2003, 09:30 AM
We could put some work in. ;)

red5angel
06-11-2003, 09:31 AM
I will give a holler about late july, I would like to go visit about the first week of august or so.

Shuul Vis
06-11-2003, 10:10 AM
Red,
Yes i will give you the address and any other info you need. PM me with your email address and ill send it there. Or if anyone else thinks they might stop by there ill just post it here. The action gets pretty crazy. They do try to match people up of the same weight though. And, they let women fight too. Ill tell you what, the UFC doesnt do Coleman justice. He is one of the largest most powerful looking men i have ever seen in person.

Brad,
Thank you for asking ahead of time. I have really tried to find a good internal arts teacher in columbus, particularly xing i. I actually did talk to Nathan Menaged on the phone but havent gone to his school yet. He said you cant start off learning the water boxing. You have to progress to it from his tai chi classes. He claims to have studied tai chi from William CC Chen, who is supposedly very good. His water boxing doesnt mention any other teachers other than Dr Tao Ping Siang. I was supposed to go visit a few weeks ago but i lost my job and didnt have the money to take 2 classes, the one im currently in and his. But i still want to check out his school and yours because im more interested in the internal systems right now than what im currently into.

shadow
06-11-2003, 11:42 AM
I know this aoff the subject, but I just wanted to say to all you Columbus guys; Go OSU Buckeyes. can't wait for football season. Although I'm a KY boy, outside of kung fu, OSU football has always been one of my gratest passions. I had to do 90 minutes of zhan zhuang to settle down after they won the National Championship. Here's to a repeat in 2004. Just a side note; A great defense rules in kung fu, as well as, football.

MasterKiller
06-11-2003, 11:45 AM
Hey, Shadow.

You ever hear of a little team called the OU SOONERS!?

OSU had their chance. Now move over so the big boys can win another title.

ewallace
06-11-2003, 11:57 AM
LOL @ OU. They have to get by another mighty OSU team first.

MasterKiller
06-11-2003, 12:00 PM
Oklahoma State is the Arizona Cardinals of the Big 12. They only have 1 game a year to get hyped for, so they come all out. At least we won't be playing them on the last game of season anymore. Gives them too much motivation.

ewallace
06-11-2003, 12:05 PM
So you guys have lost to the Arizona Cardinals how many times in a row now? :)

MasterKiller
06-11-2003, 12:08 PM
As many times as we've beaten Texas in a row, I believe. ;)

ewallace
06-11-2003, 12:09 PM
Does November 9, 2002 ring a bell?

MasterKiller
06-11-2003, 12:13 PM
Sure....fall back on A&M....

How many titles do they have again?

cuz we have 7.

Did I mention we have 7 national titles?

No one in Texas has that many. No sir. Not 7.

7 is quite a bit for one sport.

7, indeed.

ewallace
06-11-2003, 12:16 PM
I could really care less about any of the 3 teams. My dad is an aggie, my grandpa is a sooner, I can't stand the longhorns, and I'm a diehard FSU Criminals...I mean Seminoles fan.

BAI HE
06-11-2003, 01:26 PM
The Patriots drafted two A&M players.
They better be good or I'm gonna fly down
in my dress and **** on the Alamo ala' OZZY.

ewallace
06-11-2003, 01:30 PM
That's cool. The grass around the Alamo is pretty dry right now and would probably benefit greatly from your...ahh...liquidity. :)

Brad
06-11-2003, 07:41 PM
Brad,
Thank you for asking ahead of time. I have really tried to find a good internal arts teacher in columbus, particularly xing i. I actually did talk to Nathan Menaged on the phone but havent gone to his school yet. He said you cant start off learning the water boxing. You have to progress to it from his tai chi classes. He claims to have studied tai chi from William CC Chen, who is supposedly very good. His water boxing doesnt mention any other teachers other than Dr Tao Ping Siang. I was supposed to go visit a few weeks ago but i lost my job and didnt have the money to take 2 classes, the one im currently in and his. But i still want to check out his school and yours because im more interested in the internal systems right now than what im currently into.
I've met Nathan, he's a cool guy. I think his kid used to take wushu with us(under my old teacher). All I know about his martial arts is he teaches Cheng Man Ching style Taiji learned from William CC Chen, and he's got that water boxing from Tao. Never seen the water boxing though. Not sure how it relates to what the Chicago guys(GM Choi) do. From all accounts, he's really good.
I'll try to get an answear for you this weekend on my teacher...

Shuul Vis
06-11-2003, 09:09 PM
awesome brad thanks

Brad
06-14-2003, 09:20 AM
He said it's cool. Email me for details on where it is, additional info and all that :-) bradbauman@worldnet.att.net