PDA

View Full Version : what would happen if... (chi sao only)

foolinthedeck
06-10-2003, 11:48 AM
what would happen if...

someone set up a martial arts club, where all they were going to 'teach' was really good chi sao. where they actually set out on paper that anyone who wanted to learn 'wing chun' should go to a proper class, that anyone who wanted to be able to defend themselves should do likewise, but those who would like to learn a game, a physical 'chess' should continue?

if this club charged very little at all for 'lessons' which consisted on wing chun chi sao but less drills, less combat training etc etc than normal classes. so beginners learnt dan chi sao and others did chi sao normally..

would it work?
would other clubs be annoyed?

could you just teach the chess part and leave the rest to others and still make the chess quality?

i feel as if you'll say - it wont work and its a silly idea, but it really comes out of a couple of things:

i prefer just to do chi sao like chess and dont care all that much about all the other stuff.
i dont like to pay £5 for classes in which you may or may not get any quality time learning from sifu, may actually spend a couple of hours doing drills with someone who knows no more than you.

headstock
06-10-2003, 12:01 PM
Don't you think that the forms/drills help with chi sau and also the chi sau helps with the drills/forms? I think a good idea is having a lesson set aside purely for chi sau, like mike does.

reneritchie
06-10-2003, 01:18 PM
It could be listed in the yellow pages right under the Boxing club that only teaches jump rope...

Wingman
06-10-2003, 06:16 PM
People study WC (or any martial art) for different reasons. Some study in order to fight, or enter tournaments, or exercise & physical fitness, or just simply to have "fun". I agree that some people would just like to do chi sao or as you say, the "chess" part of WC.

IMHO, putting up a club for chi sao only is not economically viable. It only caters to a small niche market. I think it would be better to train with students with the same interests in your existing club. Those who would like to train chi sao only can train together. Those who would like to fight can train together. These 2 groups can train separately in the same club.

WCis4me
06-10-2003, 07:04 PM
WC is about more than just chi sao IMO. It is very important but not the whole thing. Furthermore, to learn to do Chi Sao properly or well, you have to learn several other WC forms/concepts/techniques/applications (from what I know, and have heard, chi sao is an 'excercise' to learn how to use the moves, in the forms, you have been taught).
Personally if I was a sifu who had made WC my life I would have too much of an appreciation/love for it as a whole, to encourage wanting to learn or teach it only half way.
Also, I am not sure what you would be doing in Chi Sao if you didn't learn the rest?
If you only wanted to learn one concept/technique/form etc to play a game with your friends, then why not get a book on it and practice/play with others that share your feelings on it.
It would save your money along with both yours and your Sifu's time that you feel is being wasted on 'other things'.
Just my thoughts on it of course.

Regards,
Vicky

yuanfen
06-10-2003, 09:57 PM
Vicky sez:
Also, I am not sure what you would be doing in Chi Sao if you didn't learn the rest?
-------------------------------------------------------
The "rest" is in chi sao too. Chi sao is not just poon sao and attack.
Chi sao is a great teacher- and when the student is ready- the teacher will come.

Miles Teg
06-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Actually where I studied before coming to Japan, was basically all chi sao and extremely cheap. I feel that it is more valuable to my time to practice only chi sao/dan chi sao. Its the stuff that going to have the most profound effect on your wing chun. I dont really see the value of attack defend drills anyway. Its rehearsed so its teaching bad habits. If I wanted to put it to practical use I might seek friends from other styles who want to spar or something.

Either way when I chi sao with someone who is way better, I know from feeling that I wouldnt have a very good chance with them in more realistic exchanges. So I would rather work on the chi sao.