PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on YI

shadow
06-10-2003, 11:56 AM
As one making the transition from Shaolin to Hsing Yi and Yi Quan, I'd like to get some thoughts and coments on the following subjects.

1 The use of Yi in striking I have heard it said to focus your yi thru your opponent as if you are striking behind them, though others have said to focus the yi into your opponents core.

2 The use of angry eye versus soft eye. I find the use of angry eye causes alot of tension. which decreases power.

3 The use of noise; Yi Quan uses aahhh or haaa. Tai Chi has hung and ha and Hsing Yi uses the sound of thunder. personally, I find it distracting to try to make noises during practice.

Your thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Mojo
06-10-2003, 02:01 PM
1. for head strikes I like to strike through the target. For body shots I strike into the body.

2. Your angry eye is decreasing your power because it hasn't come about naturally. Your forcing it to occur and this forcing weakens you. When it comes out naturally it can greatly increase your power and your intimidation factor.
I've had instances where a potential opponent has turned white as a sheet and I could see his strength drained from him once I 'eyeballed' him.

3. With practice comes perfection. Keep working with it. Your just not used to it yet.

Golden Arms
06-10-2003, 03:36 PM
You practiced a martial art from shaolin and never learned to make any sounds? Sounds and breathing are a good thing, just trust your teacher :)

Muppet
06-10-2003, 04:03 PM
I'm not there yet, but from what I've been told and for what it's worth, the sounds are supposed to come naturally with proper breathing and when you have enough power.

Knowing the kind of sound to expect is probably good to know, but trying to force the issue would be a mistake. Pay attention to breathing properly and let nature take its coruse.

As for angry eyes, I don't think it's so much "angry" as it is focused and alert. There is a similar mention in the Book of Five Rings.

Laughing Cow
06-10-2003, 04:29 PM
Most of the things you mentioned will come with time, no need to force them.

"Angry Eyes" for me is more Shen than Yi.

Can't comment on the striking aspect as I do Chen TJQ.

Cheers.

Repulsive Monkey
06-11-2003, 03:53 AM
In fact Taiji uses the four directional sounds of Haa, Hee , Hung , Hey for upwards outwards downwards and drawing under.

batesy
06-11-2003, 11:25 AM
On the subject of sounds, I have heard it said that the sound should complement the technique, a heavy, deep sound for certain techniques ( e.g. Xing Yi bear) a more focused sound for precision strikes. Thoughts anyone?

shadow
06-11-2003, 12:00 PM
The sound in Yi Quan and Hsing Yi supposed to emmanate from the dan tien not from the throat from what I understand. if done correctly it enhances chi flow and increases your power dramatically. At an advanced level it can even shock and disorient your opponent. But everytime I try to make the sound, it comes from my throat.

Muppet
06-11-2003, 01:12 PM
How strongly can you store your air at the dan-tien level?

I think this has a lot to do with it.

shadow
06-12-2003, 11:41 AM
I was watching a show on Animal Planet yesterday about lions one segement focused on the lions roar it used to warn other lions to stay away from its mate. Although it did'nt sound so much like a roar as a low gutteral moan. Nontheless it was frieghting sound. I wonder if there is something to be learned here since, in some kung fu circles the use of noise is known as the lions roar. On the upside, I think I nailed the angry eye. It seems to be a matter of making the eyes yang and the rest of the body yin. Then at the moment you relase your strike the eyes revert back to yin and the body yang.

omarthefish
06-13-2003, 09:39 AM
The eyes are the first weapon to come into range. ATTACK!