PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Lohan fist

Shaolin36
10-16-2001, 08:20 PM
I just bought this video by monk Hengzhong. Has anyone looked at it before. How is it. Was anyone able to learn from it?
Just curious.
Any info helps.

thanks,

Shaolin36

GeneChing
10-17-2001, 06:12 PM
Yes, Iv'e seen the whole series - I had to review them for approval (Alas, the hardships of my job.)
There are 12 new Shaolin videos - the PR-GL200 series:
http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/shaolinvideos.html

All the videos were shot at Shaolin Temple and the surrounding area.

The Lohan is Da Lohan. It is shot from the front and the side, with breakdowns and slo-mos. So all the info is there to learn it. I actually already know that form, or at least used to, so I didn't try to learn from it myself, but it's definately going into my personal library for reference.

Enjoy the video and let us know what you think.

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com (http://www.KUNGFUmagazine.com)

richard sloan
10-18-2001, 09:03 PM
is it the full form, the 108? Just curious.

GeneChing
10-21-2001, 07:01 PM
Not sure about the 108 part, but it is complete according to how I learned it.

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher

Royal Dragon
10-22-2001, 12:25 AM
I just ordered it, I'll post my impression in a week or so when it gets here.

From what I know of Louhan, there is one 108 move form. From that, there are two smaller sets called Shou Louhan and Da Louhan consisting of 36 and 54 moves respectively. They are used (I believe) as stepping stones in teaching the main set. It's a progression thing.

I have two different versions of Shou Louhan, one from the "Ten Famous Boxing" series avaliable from Wing Lam, and the other from Shi yan Ming.

My guess, is each teacher may just make up thier own Shou Louhan and Da Louhan based on what they percive thier students needs to be, but then, they could be a fixed thing too.

Commens anyone?

"Chi is Chinese for Spinach"

Check out the Royal Dragon Web site

http://www.Royaldragon.4dw.com

Shaolin36
10-22-2001, 12:41 AM
Royal Dragon,
Where did you get the shou lohan by Shi Yanming, Ive been looking for it. How much was it. The usual $39.00.
Thanks,

Shaolin36

GeneChing
10-22-2001, 06:24 PM
I learned Xiao from Shi Yanming in a one-day seminar year ago. Needless to say, it didn't stick very well. We just published Xiao in a 4-part series in Kungfu Qigong. It was Shi Guolin's version. There are some differeneces in interpretation between the two, but the are essentially the same pattern. The Taguo pattern is longer and different (perhaps your 108?), but if memory serves they reverse the da and xiao.

I laerned Da from my master Shi Decheng at Shaolin in '98. It matches the video, but again, slightly different interpretation, but essentially the same.

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher

Royal Dragon
10-23-2001, 02:39 AM
I don't remember where I got that specific one, I think I ordered it from Fire and Rain Productions or something to that effect or possibly Wing Lam.

It has a list of other forms at the end, including Shi YAn Mings Tong Bie form, the one I actually learned from him in a seminar in Chicago.

phoenix-eye
10-23-2001, 02:04 PM
Gene

Are the new shaolin videos available in PAL format? If so, I better sell my house...

"We had a thing to settle so I did him"
Tamai, 43, was quoted by Police as saying.

GeneChing
10-23-2001, 07:35 PM
RD: Yanming's only videos so far were done by Fire & Rain. I haven't heard from that company in years - they also carried some videos by Lily Lau. Wing Lam never carried Fire & Rain - if memory serves, they only advertised in IKF.

PE: Start saving. We can get them in PAL. It takes a little longer for us to process, but we can get them. So how much does a house in Scotland go for nowadays?

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher

phoenix-eye
10-24-2001, 12:47 AM
Gene

Houses don't go for that much but selling up would keep me in videos for a few years. I could also buy a REALLY big cardboard box for me and the wife to sleep in. We could use my video cases for pillows and seats.

Mmmmmmm - anyone fancy some Scottish real estate?

phoenix-eye
10-24-2001, 01:51 AM
Gene

Have just been window shopping at martialartsmart (again) - what are the rest of the videos like? I quite fancy the staff, broadsword and tiger forms.

Royal Dragon
10-24-2001, 04:56 AM
This sux, the customer service girl told me my billing address did'nt match my card :(
This confused the daylights out of me since I haven't moved anywhere recently.

Mind you, there's plenty of $$ in the account, but some clitch messed it all up. I won't be able to call the bank untill Saturday.

Gene, can you fix this. My order from Wing Lam just went through on the same card, as did my order from Asian world, and my last order from Martialartsmart also went through on the same card (Li Hu, Ba Fa video) but now Martialartsmart is turning into a majior hassle!!!

RD

Shaolin36
10-24-2001, 05:40 PM
Well, I will share with you the tape results. I received the "Da Lohan Quan" form(new one) looks like it came from Shaolin Overseas HQ-oh, thats Shi Goulin's. Anyway it was excellent. They show the form 3 or4 times at regular speed then they list all the movements and demonstrate them 2 times slow and once in slow motion as they list them in chinese. I worked on this form for an hour last night and have learned the first 11 movements.

I have bought instructional tapes before, but none of come close to the thouroughness of this one. Good Job to the makers from Shaolin. I know that learning forms from tapes is not reccomended, but then I think since I have been training religously for a couple of years(I seem to pick it up quik), the footwork and the application seems evident. I will of course have someone help me fine tune it that had it taught to them by their sifu.
Well, thats my show and tell,,, Thanks

GeneChing
10-24-2001, 06:32 PM
PE: The series is pretty consistent throughout. The ones that stick out are the broadsword, since it has more detailed basics and two forms, and tongzigong, because it has a lot of extra demos at the end.

RD: Sorry to hear about the snafu - it happens with every company eventually. Give them a call and clear up the situation. I'm afraid I don't work on the sales side, so I don't have access to the accounts and can't really help you. But I'm sure you can work it out if you just talk to them. Ask for Manny.

S36: The series is indeed from Shi Guolin's temple. He appears in the intro, but the forms are demonstrated by others. And, last time I spoke to guolin, he said there are even more on the way.

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher

Royal Dragon
10-25-2001, 12:28 AM
New video's? Hmmmmm,

I'm looking for an authentic version of the 18 Louhan hands, any tapes on that one comming yet?

Shaolin36
10-25-2001, 12:58 AM
Royal,
You should take alook at some previous posts with this topic, from what I gathered the authentic version 108 movements is only taught to top monks. The way it seems to me is that it is virtually unattainable. There are abridged upon abridged versions out there. The one that I purchased seem to be very combat applicable and less flowery. But I really dont know what version it is.

Shaolin36

phoenix-eye
10-25-2001, 02:10 AM
Thanks for the reply Gene - I reckon I always get an honest answer from you. I'm glad to hear that the forms are from Guolin as I wondered if they were actually Wushu forms and not traditional shaolin sets. The reason I say this is that the TongBiChuan (Children's) video seems to be done by the little kid that starred in the "Wheel of Life" tour over here in the UK. Although its a great show , some of the demos are obviously wushu oriented and I was just a bit dubious that the videos might be a bit of a cash in.

As to learning from videos - if you are getting instruction from another source which gives you the fundamentals - i don't think any harm can come from learning sets from video. You could (and should not) never pretend that you knew the whole form correctly or teach it but I think you can grasp the concepts and movements which can only help your overall kung fu standards.

That "For Sale" sign has just gone up in my front garden.....

Royal Dragon
10-26-2001, 01:59 AM
I have heard that. Apparently, the Monks will teach up up 72 moves of that set and no more. My guess, the other 36 techniques are designed to beat the first 72? Or maybe they'r just sacred or something.

The 18 Louhan Hands is one of the Chi Kung sets of Da Mo. I was shown one version by my Sifu, and I have another from Temple Knights. Two totally different forms. My Sifu's is six sets of 3 exercises, one posture with a dynamic tension exercise followed by what "I" would call some sort of stationalry animal exercise, and the last in each set is a holding posture. The version in Temple Knights is pure holding postures, 36 in a row to be exact (18 covering both sides). BOTH are great sets, and each has thier own benifits, but which one represents the real 18 Louhan set?

My guess it the Temple Knight version does, and My Sifu's version is kind of like a Da Mo sampler?

Also, I have heard Da Mo had as much as 5 Chi Kung sets, but others say it's only 3.

I see maybe 4.
The Yi Jin Jing
The 18 Louhan Hands.
Su Sux Jing. and the exercises of beating the body

Anyone got some light to shed on this mystery?

Royal Dragon

Shaolin Master
11-02-2001, 02:40 PM
18 Luohan hands....tooo many styles claim the original one, fact is it doesn't really matter anymore as the concepts are equal.

Da Mo
Well theory and literature states he didn't teach anything (if he did exist) except buddhist percepts. However he left behind two classics.
2 = Yi Jin Ching, Shi Soei Ching

Pai Da (Hitting the body was part of the Yi Jin Chin & Shi Soei Ching)

Shaolin thereafter developed Yi Jin Ching into Shi Ba Lohan, Jue Yuan & Bai Yu Feng thereafter developed into Wu Quan.

Note all these are internal/Qi Gong (Yes the 5 Animals also).

I have a copy of a Ching Dynasty text provided by my teacher that details classic literature of Yi Jin Ching and Shi Soei Ching. It is concerned mainly with theory, history and internal development.

On another note, I have a 108 Songshan Shaolin Lohan Set passed on from the lineage of Shi De Gen to my teacher.

Royal Dragon
11-02-2001, 08:38 PM
You would be the first "I" ever talked to with the full 108 move form. That's a prize for tsure. Actually, if I was'nt so preoccuped with Tai Tzu right now, I might try to coax you in to teching that 108 move form of yours.

You mentioned that there are many 18 Louhan hands now, but all run on the same principals. Could you explain what thoses comonalitys are? I have been trying to find a trust worthy authority to explain this to me for years now. So far, I have two routines, one on video that just holds stationary postures, and One taught to me by Sifu Livingston that is 6 sets of 3 exercises, one is a stationary exercise with dynamic tension, one is a moving exercise (looks like some sort of animal) and the final one in the sets are always a pure stationary holdiong posture, just like the entire 36 move set on my other video (from Temple Knights, it's on Martialartsmart.com if anyone wants it).

I suspect on is the actual 18 Louhan hands, and the other is like an introductary "Sampler" of various exercise practiced at the temple.

Any description of what the 18 Louhan Hands is suposed to look like would be welcomed.

Also,what are

Jue Yuan & Bai Yu Feng and Wu Quan.

I'm not familiar with those, and my Chinese is REALLY, REALLY bad.

Wu Quan reads "Five Fists"? Is this the Five Animals?

Thanx,
Royal Dragon

r.(shaolin)
11-06-2001, 06:37 AM
Venerable Yuan Jue became the Abbot of Shao Lin in the early 1200's and had previously trained in the marital arts at Hua Shan in Shanxi Province.

Bai Yu Feng - an expert in the straight sword originally from Shanxi Province developed a very comprehensive system at Shao Lin Si call Wu Xing
Quan based on the 12 animal martial methods of Shao Lin Si. It was at Abbot Yuan Jue's invitation and request that Bai Yu Feng revitalize the
martial arts of Shaolin. Eventually Bai Yu Feng was ordained at Shao Lin Si.

Wu Xing - Five Shaped Fists, based on the 12 animals methods of Shao Lin. Bai Yu Feng's intention was that Wu Xing was to consist of 16
forms (including forms for the staff and the straight sword). Only 12 of these forms were completed before his death.
The 12 forms of Wu Xing are sometimes categorized into three groups – Wu (Tiger); Long (Dragon); Long Hu Zheng Sheng (Dragon and Tiger) e

GeneChing
11-06-2001, 07:26 PM
You sure it's not wu bu quan? That's a basic set, usually translated as five stances fist.

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher