PDA

View Full Version : sparring

THREE EYED LAU
06-11-2003, 04:58 PM
so what combinations do u guys like to use when sparring or basically what do u think catches people out ive been doing some semi contact of late and was hopeing for some pointers thnx:)

joedoe
06-11-2003, 05:09 PM
Throw a punch to the face, and simultaneously kick them in the nuts. Works every time.

ComeToJesus
06-11-2003, 05:10 PM
Double kicks. Like a low roundhouse to the calf and then a high one to the head.
Generally I've noticed people don't expect high kicks most of the time.
Throw a lot of the same technique, then do one that starts in the same manner, but is completely different.
People also usually dont expect soccer kicks to the crotch, but I wouldn't do this one ;)
Yeah so anyways, what I've noticed is that people usually don't expect more than one kick, so if you can, pull one of those no shadow kick combos :D

Shuul Vis
06-11-2003, 05:17 PM
i NEVER spar. Someone could get hurt. Thats not what im all about. I mean, i would just use my flying triple dragon kick and it would be all over no matter who the opponent is so why bother?

Becca
06-11-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by joedoe
Throw a punch to the face, and simultaneously kick them in the nuts. Works every time.

"X" block, anyone? :)

Gotta agree with CTJ on the kicks. Moree than three in a row, and they figure it out. But two or three is a good number.

Oso
06-11-2003, 06:04 PM
Gotta agree with CTJ on the kicks. Moree than three in a row, and they figure it out. But two or three is a good number.

as a general rule yes. anything the same beyond the 2nd or 3rd time will git you et.

however, if your repertoir of kicks is varied enough then it is no different than throwing 4,5 or 6 punches in a row.

I will sometimes (sometimes) throw this series:

front kick, centerline midgate, retract

side kick, centerline midgate, plant forward

(sometimes a lead hand backfist will go here)

spin side, with the back leg (of course), plant forward with the kicking leg

spin side from the other direction

oh yeah!...thinking about that one hunh?!?:cool:

anyway, sometimes, they expect not other spinning type side-ish

Oso
06-11-2003, 06:10 PM
so, the point is that you can sometimes slick them by doing something that they know you won't do because it goes against what we consider as basic rules.

oh, and I land kicks mainly because my kicks are the martial equivelant of the "Humpty Dance":p

yenhoi
06-11-2003, 07:25 PM
Jab, cross, grab opponents head, bend opponent in half, smash opponent with elbow or knee or something.

Basic silat. :D

Becca
06-11-2003, 08:56 PM
Hmmm... This one works well, if you have a fast roundhouse kick.

roundhouse low to the knee
roundhouse on recoil high to the head/neck
slide to the other side, lunge into front punch to the gut.

ComeToJesus
06-11-2003, 09:00 PM
What's a centerline midgate?:rolleyes:

Serpent
06-11-2003, 09:04 PM
Why don't you ask Jesus?

Becca
06-11-2003, 09:11 PM
Aww, Serpent, let him get to 20 posts before harrasing him about his screen name.;)

Serpent
06-11-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Becca
Aww, Serpent, let him get to 20 posts before harrasing him about his screen name.;)

Grrr....

OK, but only 20 posts!

Laughing Cow
06-11-2003, 09:13 PM

Aw, come on. A screen name like that sits up and begs for comments.

BTW, as a non-christian I take exception to that screen-name.
;)

joedoe
06-11-2003, 09:18 PM
But Jesus is supposed to be God, and if he is God then he should know what a centerline midgate is :D

Serpent
06-11-2003, 09:20 PM
Exactly. Besides, why bother fighting? Doesn't Jesus turn the other cheek?

Laughing Cow
06-11-2003, 09:20 PM
God there is no God.
:D

shaolin kungfu
06-11-2003, 09:22 PM
Jesus was ego maniac.

joedoe
06-11-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
Exactly. Besides, why bother fighting? Doesn't Jesus turn the other cheek?

Being God, he can create as many cheeks as he wants so maybe he created a vengeful cheek? :D

Becca
06-11-2003, 09:27 PM
D@mn. Another good thread hi-jacked.:D

He says come to Jesus. He never said he WAS Jesus.

Maybe Jesus is standing next to him.;)

ComeToJesus
06-11-2003, 09:36 PM
ANYways.... What Becca said. I am not Jesus.

Becca
06-11-2003, 09:46 PM
CTJ- Something odd happens on KFO most every night. A group of board idiots get together and hi-jack unsuspecting threads, as we have no KFO chatroom. God only knows what will set them off.:D Your screen name just happened to be it tonight.:)

Serpent
06-11-2003, 09:46 PM
But you want people to "come to Jesus".

So, you know where he is then?

Serpent
06-11-2003, 09:48 PM
CTJ- Something odd happens on KFO most every night. A group of board idiots get together and hi-jack unsuspecting threads, as we have no KFO chatroom. God only knows what will set them off.:D Your screen name just happened to be it tonight.:)

Hey! Are you calling me a board idiot?

WRONG!

I'm a bored idiot.

And it's not even night time here.

joedoe
06-11-2003, 09:49 PM
If he is not claiming to be Jesus, he would be called "Go To Jesus". As he is called "Come To Jesus" he is implying that he is in fact Jesus.

And you call us idiots! :D

Serpent
06-11-2003, 09:50 PM
Heh heh heh.

shaolin kungfu
06-11-2003, 09:51 PM
If he is not claiming to be Jesus, he would be called "Go To Jesus". As he is called "Come To Jesus" he is implying that he is in fact Jesus.

Well, there's two ways to see it. Either he's implying that jesus is somewhere very close by him, or that he is jesus.

Either way, he's wrong.

Jesus lives four blocks from me.

Becca
06-11-2003, 09:56 PM
If I'd have spelled it "bored", I would have had to include myself. I am not an idiot, just bored.:D

joedoe
06-11-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by shaolin kungfu

Well, there's two ways to see it. Either he's implying that jesus is somewhere very close by him, or that he is jesus.

Either way, he's wrong.

Jesus lives four blocks from me.

WRONG!!!!!

When you call your dog, you say "Come here boy/girl/rover/whatever". Similarly, when you have a small child and you are encouraging them to come to you, you say "Come to daddy/mummy". If you wanted them to go to your spouse who happens to be standing nearby, you would say "Go to daddy/mummy". The use of the word 'come' rather than 'go' implies that the call is for you to go to him, not someone nearby. Hence, he is inferring that he is Jesus.

shaolin kungfu
06-11-2003, 10:04 PM
But if I'm standing next to the fridge, I say "come to the fridge", not "go to the fridge".:D

joedoe
06-11-2003, 10:06 PM
Just shows how ****ed your English skills are then.

That's right, you wouldn't speak English would you? That'd be American ;)

shaolin kungfu
06-11-2003, 10:08 PM

Laughing Cow
06-11-2003, 10:10 PM
I still say that American should be recognised as a language apart from English.

Wasn't there a drive not too long ago to american recognised as it's own language?

joedoe
06-11-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Laughing Cow
I still say that American should be recognised as a language apart from English.

Wasn't there a drive not too long ago to american recognised as it's own language?

I don't understand why though? It is just *******ised English.

shaolin kungfu
06-11-2003, 10:16 PM
Hey! who you callin' a b@stard!:mad:

Laughing Cow

I don't understand why though? It is just *******ised English.

Some people feel that there are enough differences to make it it's own language.

Spelling, grammar, etc.

Cheers.

ComeToJesus
It's all good, as long as it's in good humour. Now if someone is seriously taking offense at my name, they need help, FAST.
It's all supposed to be in good fun.

Anyways, my name makes sense even if I'm not Jesus or even close to Jesus. I could say to you, "come to the beach" even though I am not there. I am implying that I will eventually go there.
But seriously, this much thought is not supposed to go into this. The purpose was so people get a good laugh from it, and they usually do.
I guess I'm bored just like you guys.:eek:

joedoe
06-11-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by shaolin kungfu
Hey! who you callin' a b@stard!:mad:

All you steeeenking Yankees :D

shaolin kungfu
06-11-2003, 10:19 PM
I'm afraid I don't understand how it's funny. :confused:

Not offensive, I just don't know why someone would laugh at Come to Jesus.

Now, if it were come ON jesus, that would be different.

joedoe
06-11-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by ComeToJesus
It's all good, as long as it's in good humour. Now if someone is seriously taking offense at my name, they need help, FAST.
It's all supposed to be in good fun.

Anyways, my name makes sense even if I'm not Jesus or even close to Jesus. I could say to you, "come to the beach" even though I am not there. I am implying that I will eventually go there.
But seriously, this much thought is not supposed to go into this. The purpose was so people get a good laugh from it, and they usually do.
I guess I'm bored just like you guys.:eek:

The difference being that the beach is a place, while you are not. ;)

Anyway, it is an amusing tag. So, are you Jesus, and if so can you come over here and cure my asthma? :D

ComeToJesus
06-11-2003, 10:26 PM
Shaolin Kungfu, appears we have a different sense of humour. I find ComeOnJesus not funny.
I originally used this name when playing CounterStrike, and most people found it funny seeing someone with a name like this in a game like that. Maybe in this context it isn't all that amusing to people.
Now let's all never speak of my name again :) .

joedoe unfortunately I am not Jesus, I just send people his way. :p

Serpent
06-11-2003, 10:29 PM
How about Come For Jesus? I could get into that.

Laughing Cow
06-11-2003, 10:30 PM
CTJ.

We won't led you off that easy.

Come and join us on the dark side.

Harharhar.

joedoe
06-11-2003, 10:32 PM
Shaolin Kungfu, appears we have a different sense of humour. I find ComeOnJesus not funny.
I originally used this name when playing CounterStrike, and most people found it funny seeing someone with a name like this in a game like that. Maybe in this context it isn't all that amusing to people.
Now let's all never speak of my name again :) .

joedoe unfortunately I am not Jesus, I just send people his way. :p

I can see how that would be funny in a CS setting :)

Are you a religious person? If so I will stop taking the mickey out of your name.

ComeToJesus
06-11-2003, 10:35 PM
No I'm not really religious.
It's just for fun! arghh...! *punches self in face*

Serpent
06-11-2003, 10:38 PM
Anybody else interested in coming for Jesus, or is it just me?

Lowlynobody
06-11-2003, 10:39 PM
Jesus!
Ju better believe it!

8 year olds Dude.

:eek:

joedoe
06-11-2003, 10:40 PM
CTJ: OK, well I will continue to make fun of your name then :D

Serpent: Jesus never really got me worked up in that way. Sorry, you're on your own :D

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-11-2003, 10:40 PM
JESUS IS COMING (http://users.1st.net/abaddon/jesus.jpg)

joedoe
06-11-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
JESUS IS COMING (http://users.1st.net/abaddon/jesus.jpg)

OMG that is hilarious ... and plain wrong :D

ComeToJesus
06-11-2003, 10:44 PM
Serpent look at what you've started. Poor guy that started the thread is gonna think he's getting a ton of helpful pointers when he sees the reply count, but will be horribly disappointed.:rolleyes:

And I'm not digging the ComeForJesus much either :p

I need sleep.

ComeToJesus
06-11-2003, 10:46 PM
What joedoe said...
You laugh, then realize "What the **** this is just plain wrong" lol

You either had that bookmarked or searched for it. Either of those is disturbing.

joedoe
06-11-2003, 10:47 PM
Serpent look at what you've started. Poor guy that started the thread is gonna think he's getting a ton of helpful pointers when he sees the reply count, but will be horribly disappointed.:rolleyes:

And I'm not digging the ComeForJesus much either :p

I need sleep.

Well, there is one documented case of Jesus sparring, but he used a whip and his opponents were unarmed. If I remember correctly, his tactics were to overturn tables and chase them out.

It was in a temple, so maybe he learned from some Shaolin monks? :D

SifuAbel
06-11-2003, 10:50 PM
I haven't read this whole thread, but I rather come on my girlfriend.

As far as sparring, just flow. To think about technique is like not getting past the first word in a book.

Serpent
06-11-2003, 10:51 PM
Trust me, GDA had that bookmarked.

Way to kill another thread, dude. ;)

It's the way ofthings on KFO. Someone starts an interesting thread, bored idiots hijack it and then GDA comes along and posts something guaranteeing the thread's deletion.

I wonder what we'll destroy tomorrow?

:)

ComeToJesus
06-11-2003, 10:55 PM
LoL! That's a funny a$$ system you guys got going. I've noticed it somewhat, as I usually come here once a week looking for interesting threads, and always see them turn into something else or ****ing contests. Oh well it's all good.
It was good getting to know you guys and your function on these boards.
Now I REALLY need sleep.
Later...

Serpent
06-11-2003, 10:58 PM
We aim to please.

SifuAbel, what are you talking about sparring for? This thread has been hijacked!

joedoe
06-11-2003, 11:47 PM
How about coming WITH Jesus? :D

I am waiting for the lightning bolt to strike me down

Laughing Cow
06-11-2003, 11:48 PM

1st or 2nd coming? :D

Serpent
06-11-2003, 11:52 PM

That implies a belief in the God of Jesus. Have you gone all born again on us?

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-12-2003, 12:04 AM
You either had that bookmarked or searched for it. Either of those is disturbing.

bookmarked hell .... i got that sh it saved on my ftp. :)

welcome to kfo come on jesus.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-12-2003, 12:05 AM
on a related note i just comed on my girlfriends boobies.

well ... ok ... it was mostly all over myself but i still got head. yay!

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-12-2003, 12:12 AM
oh and i like hooks to the ribs followed either by elbows to the ribs/sterum or uppercuts.

i also like to follow a sinking punch to the stomach/sterum with a monkey palm that slides up to the throat and grabs the chin afterwards to force them off balance. (i punch to the body a lot cause im short and it makes more sense)

meidum high cressants that suddenly turn into side kicks to the knee are also good.

following a kick check with a kick to the back leg always makes me happy.

i do a tiger movement where one hand goes straight in front of their face while simultaneously kicking them in the nuts a lot.

and there's no replacing the good ol' 1 - 2. throw in some back fists and uppercuts in any order. sometimes ill do a 1 - 2 and follow with a uppercut with the 2 hand.

Laughing Cow
06-12-2003, 12:16 AM
I found that cupped hand/s to the ears gets their attention.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-12-2003, 12:24 AM
oh and another thing i really liked in drilling but havent been able to do in sparring ..... after doing that monkey palm that slides up to the throat i like to continue sliding up to grab them behind their neck and drag their nose into a headbutt. biting their nipple afterwards is optional.

i was showed this as a follow up to a snake movement out of planting the willow that closely resembles what i have seen others call beauty looks in mirror. what i have seen others call it in books anyway. its a spear hand that can either hit under the chin or with a good angle i like to settle into it and set them off balance with my forearm. this is good for setting yourself up for a choke/throw/whatever, but i suck at those so i usually just watch them stumble a step or two and laugh at them.

chen zhen
06-12-2003, 02:52 AM
"You may have heard this joke about naming of the divine child in Bethlehem," he began. "The child was in the manger, surrounded by oxen and sheep, while his mother, Mary, and Joseph were discussing what name to give him. Solomon was suggested, Moses and David, but they couldn't agree. At the moment, the Magi, the three wise men from the East, entered the stable. Paying homage to the new-born child, they placed offerings of myrrh and frankincense before him. The third chap, who was very tall, knelt down to present his gift of gold. As he got up, he bumped his head on the low rafters of the stable and exclaimed in pain, "Jesus Christ!" Mary turned to Joseph and said, "That"s nice name. That's what we'll call him.""

-from a speach by the Indian philosopher Krishnamurti

Laughing Cow
06-12-2003, 02:59 AM
:D :D :D

Oso
06-12-2003, 03:14 AM
SifuAbel,

do you not spar with different intent at differerent times?

I agree that sparring should flow but sometimes do you not work specific combinations?

Oso
06-12-2003, 03:32 AM
CTJ, usually one of the bored idiots will at least answer your question....

centerline, is, well the center of you body, usually most talked about as from the front but it's still there from any angle.

midgate is just the middle level of your body.

Becca
06-12-2003, 06:39 AM
Forgot you asked a question CTJ.:( I had actually meant to answer that, too.

Serpent
06-12-2003, 04:49 PM
Questions schmestions. How does that compare to talk of coming on Jesus?

But, just to be fair, one of my favourite sparring techs is the front leg point kick to the hip or front of the groin. A great stopping technique so that you can dictate distance and timing. And a really good one will drop someone or at least take the fight out of them.

Oso
06-12-2003, 08:06 PM
Serp, not knocking you messing with him, but you coulda at least answered the question as well :)

had a really sweet moment tonight at jujitsu. we were sparring per the sport jj rules. I decided to play my game a little bit and dropped into a left lead middle stance and flanked his right lead jab and trapped it towards his chest and fired a verticle punch into that spot in the crease of your waist that will affect the lung on the same side...popped back out and waited. Just when I though I had missed, he dropped.

he-he, I like it.

Serpent
06-12-2003, 08:40 PM
Yeah, I coulda... ;)

I'm not sure what you mean in your post. What's the spot you're referring to?

Becca
06-12-2003, 09:21 PM
we were sparring per the sport jj rules.

Sport Jujitsu

Oso, sounds sweet so long as you aren't on the recieveing end.;)

Oso
06-12-2003, 09:28 PM
Serp, bend at the waist. note the two creases on either side of your belly button, if you have one;) , a long weapon {shin, forearm, stick} striking parallel to those creases and at a slight downward angle will spasm the lung on the same side. A while ago I figured out how to strike them with a punch. Just as effective as a solar plexus shot but those areas are not usually protected as much so they are a bit easier to hit.

It was pretty sweet, he just kinda got a funny look on his face and dropped to his knees. The good thing is that it doesn't take a full contact strike to get the effect and it's not permanent.

******, now I'll have to kill everyone that reads this thread...

Serpent
06-12-2003, 09:34 PM
Interesting. I wonder what poor ******* is going to become my guinea pig for that tonight?

Oso
06-12-2003, 09:37 PM
tonight I just used a vertical fist with a slight downward angle.

my fav way to hit it is with a downward strike using the full line of my knuckles.

good luck. I can't ever remember the healing point on the back for it but they will usually recover soon anyway, it's not lethal or anything, just kinda sucky for them.

Serpent
06-12-2003, 09:45 PM
I'll let you know how it goes.

Oso
06-12-2003, 09:48 PM
otay !

say, I think I've just discovered how to rack up my post count.;)

Serpent
06-12-2003, 09:49 PM
Easy innit!