PDA

View Full Version : Thought and reaction

Void Boxing
06-11-2003, 11:25 PM
Thought and reaction:

Sparring comes down to reaction, reaction based understanding. We look into our skills to acquire knowledge about them, we practice them to develop further knowledge on them, we allow our sparring to raise the standard of this knowledge to the highest possible level, which is reaction. So we think about the skill constantly, look at how it works, how it can be improved, then we act and make our skill reflexive. Understanding the skill is about 20% of the total value of the skill. Knowledge takes no time to earn when you are looking at the skill, when you are looking at how it operates, what it requires to work more efficiently, how to apply the skill and so on, when you see this, then all you have to do is apply the knowledge that you learned. The 80% of the skill comes from the application, that is how the skill truly learns how to apply itself, through reaction, through reflex. In fighting, in sparring, you let your reflexes guide you, direct you, you let your skills adapt. Your not thinking about how to apply them, you are just applying them. You are just reacting to the situation and what the situation presents to you. When there is thinking in combat, it is learning from the opponent, learning new movements and so on that are applied in combat, it is a big learning curve. If you think in combat, then your overall reaction is delayed, you are not reacting as such, but delayed in a process of thought. Thought helps in combat, but we do not get carried away and think to fight we must think. No. Learn how to think firstly, understand your skills, understand how they can be applied, then allow your skills to develop as a reflex, not as thought then action, but as action as a whole! That is the key to the final evolution of skill. First theory, application of theory to the highest point where the skill just happens. So as you can probably tell, skill is both theory and application. It is thought and reaction. It is like fighting the opponent, learn from the opponent, understand their skills, feel them out, then let your reactions and understandings guide through your opponents movements. To learn we must be aware. To be aware we firstly must examine, which is small awareness, then the main lessons sink in when you spar. This is when you truly learn from your skills. When your skills truly learn!

What do you all think?......

yenhoi
06-11-2003, 11:39 PM
nope.

:rolleyes:

Void Boxing
06-11-2003, 11:44 PM
Why?.....

EnterTheWhip
06-12-2003, 09:09 AM
Can you sum it up in one point/sentence? I can't stand to read long posts....

Ernie
06-12-2003, 10:01 AM
it was just a long winded explanation about developing attributes '' speed ,timing ,distance ,power , adaptability''
and learning to apply them in a live environment .
everybody talks about skill. but few break down the individual skills and give you ways to improve them , then put them all together so the work as one natural action in relation to a opponent.
'' I don't hit it hits all by itself''

EnterTheWhip
06-12-2003, 12:03 PM
agreed!

PaulH
06-12-2003, 12:47 PM
I found a good way to combat the unavoidable boredom and loss of interest in reading long novels is to simply flip to the last page. Amazingly, the essense still remains in tact with such reckless range skipping! I advise everyone to do the same when you encounter similar problems.

Regards,

canglong
06-12-2003, 01:09 PM
It is like fighting the opponent, learn from the opponent, understand their skills, feel them out, then let your reactions and understandings guide through your opponents movements.

This would be the same as understanding intent. The principled fighter completely understands the intent of the attack and thus is able to use that intent against his opponent. Knowing that intent can vary gives a person certain options to counter those intentions so this is something you must understand before you spar not figure out while sparring.

burnsypoo
06-12-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Ernie
it was just a long winded explanation about developing attributes '' speed ,timing ,distance ,power , adaptability''
and learning to apply them in a live environment .
everybody talks about skill. but few break down the individual skills and give you ways to improve them , then put them all together so the work as one natural action in relation to a opponent.

Nice post Ernie, I like your style.

So far, I see the attributes as the "prime numbers" of developmental training. When you hit a road block, or are looking for a direction in self-analyzation, it breaks down into issues of Sensitivity, Relaxation, Timing, Co-ordination, balance, which are all elements that most serious athletes can relate to (though sensitivity is usually more a wing chunnish spin on things like distance awareness and orientation). So wanting to improve an element like speed, one could towards the relaxation, co-ordination... etc.

No order of preference, just the building blocks of good training.

Void Boxing
06-12-2003, 05:06 PM
In short, fighting is reaction, reflex. I hear alot of people saying you have to think in combat and i find that to be almost a false statement. You think in combat, when you make a mistake, to learn from the mistake. But the larger part of combat, is relfex - you simply act according to the movements of your opponent.

yenhoi
06-12-2003, 05:11 PM
Sure, when your in contact.

During non-contact I do alot of "preparing" and "responding" long before I start "reacting."

And I think there is a lot of value in limited sparring, or progressive sparring, or whatever you call it. And drills.

:eek:

Void Boxing
06-12-2003, 05:49 PM
Yeah random controlled sparring is great for learning skill and how to apply oneself properly. I do this as often as i can, alongside my once a week all out sparring session.

No_Know
06-16-2003, 04:16 AM
Sparring with direction/purposely sounds nice-ish.

It seems to me that learning a technique is like kilobytes of data. Techniques and understanding them might be like Megabytes(to Gigabytes). Processing speed slows down with the greater storage of information dependent upon the individual processor system--brain workings.

When you get reaction, those techniques and understandings (hopefully inter-related~ (crossreferenced and cross(?)-indexed), go into a folder which itself has the memory storage process property itself of zero (Look within the File and the memory storage property has the Gigabytes of the individual informations; however the File itself registers zero kilobytes).

Void boxing, if you only look at you, what you come-up with will possibly be things others have heard or seen before--because they discovered themselves and found thruths. But truths because they are common to many.-ish And some of those had been shared. And become common awareness. Or acceptede~.

Perhaps, similar to Yenhoi (mentions), I think in an encounter~. Yet, I react without thinking-ish. Actually, I consider reaction high processing thinking--predicting likely next actions; statistics from my database of assorted awareness; calculation of force(s); commitment percentages; cut-my-losses--wieghing Trying to finish versus what can be lost if person succedes first (or I fail; and each level of failure)...and that was just the attosecond before my brain transmitted to shift weight to move.

A half of a second, durring which the other person is starting to attack; I have lots of moments to evaluate the last segment of exchange and target weaknesses and determine how I'd like the fight to end-up from the current here, for the other person and for myself.

As motivational/training I can see~ saying Don't think! React! As far as focus (a concern for the newly initiated and uninitiated), do not think about what you were taught-ish, be appropriate and it will work out good enough. Do not think. Do.

As far as actual, emothions are perhaps high level thought processes. And reacting involves perceptions (a brain thing) and doing, based on your intentions and awareness (goes to the brain again). And if it's a brain thing or needs a brain thing to happen~ then perhaps it's a thought thing if not a think thing.

Please note even if reaction Is a think thing, You do Not Have to do it. It's thinking that like heartbeat and breathing happens without your effort. Your only control in Reaction is training it before the fight~ Because, in the fight, You'll do as well as according to how well you were programmed to act/react. Without sacrificing Perception you likely would Not be able to Conciously tell yourself how to do things much less what to do.~