PDA

View Full Version : hapkido

neit
06-12-2003, 03:26 AM
hapkido - anybody study it? i am coinsidering taking a look at a hapkido school so i'd like to hear form people who have taken it. i have read all about it on websites but never heard from actual people. - thanks

chen zhen
06-12-2003, 06:44 AM
If you like high kicks, spinning kicks, etc, you might like it.
I guess it's better than TKD, as they also have grappling (aikido-like grappling). But I would'nt count much on it.

Former castleva
06-12-2003, 07:09 AM
I donīt study but at least I know something about it.

When it comes to what zhen said,I am not very comfortable commenting on.
Good hapkido is supposed to be effective and natural,"scientific" in application,not flashy woo-woo.

Founderīs direct follower/student did add a lot of a kicking into the art (which there are numerous sub-styles ranging as far as new styles!) which may or may not remind you of TKD or related material.

Overall,itīs very well-rounded.

chen zhen
06-12-2003, 07:12 AM
I'm sorry if I'm wrong, the HKD I've seen is very flashy, w. high kicks. it is korean, so it's only natural;)

The american grandmaster is pretty good though, don't remember his name. He has a funny accent and starred in that ETD parody "fistful of yen"

neit
06-12-2003, 01:38 PM
hmmm, i'm not too jazzed up about fancy kicks. i studied tkd for 3 years but decided it was not for me.

Former castleva
06-12-2003, 01:47 PM
Yep.

Well,if itīs good at all,kicking is only one part of the comprehensive game from pressure points to regular belts.
Of course,ultimately itīs up to school and all this.

Do you know what style that school of yours teaches?

BTW,Did you know Jackie Chan (HKD BB) and Sammo Hung derive a lot of their kicking from hapkido?

neit
06-13-2003, 04:39 AM
former - yes, the guy who taught them has several hapkido schools in canada.

i actually have no idea what style this school is. there was a small listing in the yellow pages that only says hapkido and gives a number. it may be a new school since they have never been listed before. chances are that it is not near my home and that will probably be a diciding factor.